BMW C400X / C400GT

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, you don't have enough fork oil. 135ml per fork. That's 270ml but only 250ml provided. It's sucks but go buy some more.
    Subaruvich likes this.
  2. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was having some issues with the CVT at low speeds. Feeling weird and felt like the sliders weren't sliding correctly. 6470km and BMW already changed the belt and sliders under warranty. I find it worrying that after so few Kms I'd need a new belt and sliders. Wouldn't want own this out if warranty if it's chewing through parts so frequent. Belt is 300 bucks off the shelf.
  3. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Honda Forza 350 Ohlins fit the BMW C400 series. Just 10mm difference 430mm v 440mm. One thing is the sump tanks hit the plastic and needs trimming ever so slightly to fit. Works great but not a bolt on deal.

That's them in there. Can see the sumps riding the plastics.
  4. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I run my compression at 13th click from softest. You can always play with the preload if you want less travel. Factory preload was too soft for me.
  5. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All right, YSS shocks installed, but the ride is on a harder side. Right springs for riders weight (80kg/176lbs), preload on minimum, clickers all the way out. Still want the ride to be much softer and more comfortable. Where do I look for lower spring rate springs before I do revalving?
  6. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had all my clickers set to soft and felt garbage. It was crashy because the shock isn't damping the rebound. You need to get the balance right and it will absorb that.
    You'll never get a air ride soft feel on a scooter. The YSS suspension is designed for race, not comfort.
    I run 12 clicks on the top and 13 clicks on the bottom. 6cm of thread on the preload.

I suggest changing the viscosity of the oil in the shocks first before you modify it. Might make it softer.
  7. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm very seriously considering the C400GT. I really like the style, comfort, fit and power. But the local independent Beemer mechanic won't work on them. He doesn't have the tools and manuals to go beyond a oil change. So that leaves me with the dealer. I have a very highly rated dealer who won't cheat me but what are the true service costs? How often does that $300. belt need to be changed and at what cost? I've read horror stories of the 650 costs.

I have two other bikes so figure four to six thousand miles a year on the scoot. Are there videos out there that I haven't found for standard routine maintenance?
    mickfitz76 likes this.
  8. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The belts are $290 USD the best price I've found online. The service can be done by any scooter mechanic. The CVT service is like any other scooter. No special tools required.
    I've seen GTs that go the Malossi CVT and clutch mods and makes the rollers and sliders much cheaper to replace come service time. It's the belt that's the main cost.
    I was having some low speed vibrations and felt the sliders not sliding correctly. After 6450kms they were replaced along with the belt.
    Maybe I abused it, I didn't run it in and was beating on it but doesn't leave me confident long term.
    I'll find out in the next 6000kms.
  9. BUZZARD II

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information Mick. I really thought I'd get a few more thoughts and opinions.
  10. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might get more once people get outside the warranty/service period.
    I've got a 5 year warranty/service plan so I won't be worrying about it for a while. I have a Malossi variator and clutch kit for it but BMW said if I go inside my warranty is void so it's sitting on the shelf waiting for that day.
    I'm sure since the scooter is made in China I'll find a aftermarket replacement eventually. Guys used to complain about the C600/650 belts but you can get a good copy out of Taiwan now for 45 bucks.
  11. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Removed the springs before taking YSS shocks apart and without springs hydraulics feel already soft and fluid and those clickers really work and make the difference. Doesn’t look like lower viscosity oil would do much. I wish I could find softer springs though.
  12. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not chase up the Forza YSS set like this and scavenge the springs or use those. Those are very cheap and much softer but still excellent compared to stock. The size is also correct and no sump tank in the way. Bolt on.

Attached Files:

13. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    byee and Subaruvich like this.
  14. BUZZARD II

Oddometer:
    Questions here. Is the 12 volt outlet in the right box wired to the battery for hooking up a trickle charger? And is the wiring capable of powering an electric vest?
  15. lifeinreverse

lifeinreverse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 12v outlet is part of the can-bus. You can use it to install a maintenance charger, but you would need to get something like an opti-mate to 'wake up' the can-bus for charging. Otherwise you could just put a fused SAE plug direct to the battery for charging. As for heated vests, I'm in Florida so probably not much help but the owner's manual should have the output rating of that plug and if it's more than needed by the vest it would probably be OK.
    mickfitz76 likes this.
  16. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Didn't realise I could charge the bike using that port. I have the opti mate charger and found the BMW plug locally. Excellent.
    This is what forums are for.

Attached Files:

17. JimInOz

JimInOz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be aware that not all Optimate chargers are CANBUS compatible and if they are not, they won't work.
    It should be noted on your packaging or manual for the model you have.
  18. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're correct. The opti mate 4 is what you need. Comes with the plug also. Ugh. I have the opti mate 2.
    100 bucks aint too bad.
  19. JimInOz

JimInOz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can still use your Optimate but you need to connect direct to battery via a pigtail, but it's inconvenient as you need to remove the battery access panel to get to the connector (unless you route it somewhere else).
    mickfitz76 likes this.
  20. mickfitz76

mickfitz76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nah I had that set up before. The ease of the can bus has me sold. I bought the 4. It's nearly Christmas.