BMW C400X / C400GT

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    I saw it Saturday at the NYC show and really liked it a lot. Awesome features with the all LED lighting, heated grips and seat plus the connectivity and TFT screen. I will definitely be getting one at some point.
  2. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was the MSRP ?

Heated grips and seats options or part on the base bike?

Based on what I’ve read, there’s 3 settings on the grip heaters - high and low with an automatic option.

I’m hoping to see it January 2018 at the motorcycle show in Vancouver.
  3. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size wheels does it have and anyone know the trunk size?
  4. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    There wasn't an MSRP on it at the NY show, just a description of features and coming in 2018 on the placard
  6. MBlue

MBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TFT screen is the "scary" part. Yes, it looks fantastic, but how long will it last? If something goes wrong with it, you lose all info/indicators. It will probably cost at least a couple of thousand dollars to replace.
    Better have deep pockets if you decide to buy one of these...
  7. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is absurd. The dash doesn't cost a 1/4 of the bike cost or more. Tech is getting much cheaper.
  8. MBlue

MBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope so. I found two different posts talking about the cost of an iDrive screen in BMW cars. One post said
    2000 bucks, the other post mentioned 970 British pounds. An iDrive screen is not weatherproof.
    I remember someone mentioning that a BMW bike switch assy (I think the left one) was something like 600 bucks. Yes, the posts were a few years old. BMW parts and service are expensive, that's a common knowledge. I hope you're right....
  9. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with you about their parts and service being expensive but a car and motorcycle part are not comparable.

It does have that switch/wheel control assembly on the left grip which may very well be $600.

The dash on the scooter isn't large and I don't believe touch screen either. TFT displays are cheap. Just doing a random search for the TFT displays around the size of the one used on this bike, they range from $15 to $40.

TFT technology is not expensive.
  10. JohnHB

JohnHB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please don't be shy - tell about all the other things that are likely to go expensively wrong on this yet-to-be-released scooter.
  11. MBlue

MBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your sarcasm aside, my only concern/question is about the screen. It has to withstand temps from below freezing to very warm/hot, from very dry to very humid.
    LCD screens have been used in motorcycles for some time and seem to work well. If BMW can provide a reliable screen, they may have
    a fantastic winner here. Generally speaking, BMW is not known for very reliable electronics.
    To get excited about a nice looking shiny thing without considering its practicality/durability/reliability is irresponsible.
    I'm not trying to dis this scooter. I actually like it a lot (even though the low seat wouldn't cut it for my long legs...so it seems).
    If I go on a tour and 700 km from my home and 200 km from the closest city the screen goes kaput, it's not a helpful situation.
  12. olfogie

olfogie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A shock for my truck is about $30.
    A shock for my GS is about $2300.

Bmw is very, very good at extracting cash from owners post-purchase.
    racerb likes this.
  13. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Borrow My Wallet.
    Bar None likes this.
  14. olfogie

olfogie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A more apples to apples comparison:
    The plastic headlight assembly for a Kymco Xciting 500 costs a little over $100 (ref. kymcopartsmonster).
    The plastic headlight assembly for a Bmw GT650 (possibly made by Kymco) costs $600-$700 (ref. bikebandit).

Although I have never quite understood it, a replacement part apparently is greatly increased in value by virtue of a Bmw part number assignment, regardless of the part type or source.
  15. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This discussion kind of brings up the question of whether all these "bell and whistles" adds or detracts from the ride?
    MBlue likes this.
  16. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate to continue the discussion about the expense of the BMW scooter, but my experience is that if you can't or won't do you own work, it's really expensive (all of them probably). I looked for my comments on the C600 I had. After one year of ownership, I spent about $1000 in in maintenance. And yes, replacement parts from the dealer +$100/hour labor add up quickly. But, on that note, I never had trouble, never was worried about the bike giving me problems. I ride solo, and was never afraid to be stranded. So, if you like it and can afford to have the scheduled maintenance, then go for it. I think it will be a great scooter.

From my own thread on the C600 Sport:
    The damage report is in: $786; ouch baby!
    6000 mile service, which is mostly oil and filter change; brake fluid flush which is recommended one year after production and every two years thereafter. And of course, the usually checks and adjustments. Also, I needed new tires. Front was about 90% worn and rear was 80% worn. Pirelli Diablos are OEM, 15". I priced them on motorcycle superstore for about $230 on sale just for my own info, but am buying them from the dealer. This past summer tires for both the Sport and the GT were almost impossible to find. Fortunately they are back in stock.

I also spend a few hundred on the 600 mile break in service a year earlier.
  17. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the C600 I had, the heated seat and grips were "premium", about $600 more. The seat was on/off, while the grips had Hi/Lo/Auto. Usually I kept them on auto. It is based on outside temperature.
  18. MBlue

MBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Grey Hound, that's interesting (the cost of the C600 maintenance). One year old scooter shouldn't have any issues. The question is how it will be after the warranty expires - after 3, 5 years, and beyond. To spend 10 thou for a scooter and keep it for only a few years seems like flushing money down the toilet (unless it can be sold for a good buck). I would expect such an expensive scooter to last at least 10 years.
  19. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The build & finish is really not up to Japanese scoots. At first glance it may seem great, but only soon to be discovered inferior quality composition of materials. That probably to be invested further in maintenance.
  20. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bolzen, just wondering if your comments are referring to the BMW C400x?