BMW C600 and C650

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 8, 2011.

1. CGameProgrammer

CGameProgrammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have added both these scooters to cycle-ergo.com if you're curious. Interesting to see how different the two are.
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW might sell a few because of the name but not many. Like you said there are leftover maxi's available at deep discounts.
  3. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    My guess is they will sell in droves. BMW has a large old-guy following, and just about every month I read in the BMW Owners News about one Old Guy or another who loves their beemer, but is trading it in because they just can't muscle it around like they used to.

Looks like this scoot will have a low center of gravity, and they won't have to swing a leg over it...I'll bet it will keep Old Guys who love the Rondel riding longer. I guess time will tell.
  4. NachoRoto

NachoRoto Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer:
    I would rather one of these with Luggage then a Goldwing. Touring Scooter would be what I want in my old age. I always said that if the Silverwing had all the bells and whistles of a Goldwing, it would out sell it. And maybe be one of the highest sales bike in Honda History if they keep it under $10.000. There is a huge old/half crippled market that would love it. Me included.
  5. ScooterPapa

ScooterPapa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would think you're right (close to the price of the "Big Burger"); they'd have to be or they will only attract the smallest section of the "I only ride BMW's" crowd (those within that group that like scooters...
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Local speculations are also that the price will be above the Tmax which
    costs more then a F800R/S/ST here.

If they price their scoots at $1k more then the Tmax here, you can get
    a base model R1200R for the same money.
    :lol3
  7. enc0re

enc0re Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the spread has to be bigger. The GT model gets you nicer mirrors with built-in turn signals, LED running lights, more fairing, electrically adjustable windshield, hard panniers, and a bigger trunk.

For that little extra, I'd definitely get the GT. But knowing BMW, it will be enough more to make me think really hard about spending the extra dough. Just as the marketers intended. :evil
  8. scootermann

scootermann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they offered a "European delivery" program, like they did with their cars, I would have to get one. The Z3 (which was built here in South Carolina) could be purchased in Europe, to NA specs, and shipped back here after 30 days, cheaper than it could be bought here. The shipping to the US was figured in the "program" price. Go figure.

If I were to ship my scooter to Europe and back, it would cost about 3 grand total. So if the car program carries over to the bike program, one could theoretically buy the scoot on the continent, cruise around for a few weeks, fly home and the bike would arrive a few weeks later not costing more than it would off the lot.

Hmmmm? Can't wait to see what my bride thinks of that logic.
  9. aidanpryde18

aidanpryde18 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that 600 is sweet. If I had the money, I could see trading in the SilverWing on that bad boy. same weight, more horses, same MPG, better suspension. It gives away a little bit in the storage area, but hot damn.
  10. stealthman_1

stealthman_1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't really get that (not that I disagree). My MP3 500 weighs about the same as a 1200GS. The big boxers are not heavy relative to other bikes (a 1200GS weighs over 200 pounds less than a Honda ST1300. While the new Beemers may weigh less than an MP3, I'll bet it's not much less, probably the difference between a full and empty tank of gas.
  11. Brooktown Geezer

Oddometer:
    The difference is in the seat height, and the weight distribution. Old guys start having a harder time swinging a leg over a tall saddle, especially with a top case, bags, etc. They also can't flatfoot their bigger bikes, and the weight is higher in the frame. I'm just repeating things I have read in BMW Owner's magazine, mind you. ;)

I know when I had my G650GS it wasn't an especially tall bike, but I couldn't flatfoot it either.

I'm amazed at how easy it is to handle my 611 lb. Burgman. The weight is so low in the frame that it's extremely well balanced, so much so that it's actually just as easy to maneuver around tight turns at low speeds as my Vespa. I wouldn't have believed it until I rode one.
  12. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really hope you're wrong and BMW will be meaningfully lighter than MP3 which I rode and was struck by how heavy it was! I actually saw someone taking a test ride on an MP3 and falling over while doing a tight U-turn because they wobbled and got overwhelmed by its weight... so much for the sureness of three wheels! :)
  13. stealthman_1

stealthman_1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Silverwing weighs 551 pounds, Burgman Exec, 613...just sayin'.:wink:
    BMW 1200GS, 504 pounds.
  14. Brooktown Geezer

Oddometer:
    Weight isn't a bad thing in a touring scooter, as long as the motor and brakes are designed for it. In September I took a 6 day ride on my Vespa GT200. While the ride was fantastic, I knew that for me to be comfortable on trips in the future, a heavier scoot would make a big difference. Windy conditions are easier to handle, semi trucks less of a problem, and the planted feeling is good.

I had an MP3 500 which was about 100lbs lighter than the Burgman, but the weight distribution of the MP3 does make it more of a handful at very low speeds.
  15. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Geez , sounds like you've had a few of the maxi scooters . So what have you had , and IYO what's the good bad and the ugly ? :deal

TheReaper!:grim
  16. Brooktown Geezer

Oddometer:
    Actually my experience with Maxi Scoots is limited. I've had classic Vespa scooters, an ET2 and an ET4, a GT200, the GTS250. I also had an MP3 250 and an MP3 500, a BMW G650GS and a Burgman 650.

Currently I have a 1970 Vespa Sprint, the GT200, a GT60 and the Burgman 650.

I love riding a Vespa (mostly the GT60) around town on errands, for coffee, to church, to work, etc. It's just so simple to hop on and go, and the fun factor is definitely there.

You can ride any bike anywhere, as several riders on this forum have proven. *How* you like to travel definitely informs your choice of scooter.

As far as comparing the larger scoots, the MP3 scooters were fun on the road. Moving them around with the engine off or driving at low speeds, they are heavy but as soon as you get going that is no longer a problem. The MP3 250 is much smoother from 0 MPH to 35 mph. The 500 tends to shudder slightly at low speeds, up to maybe 35 mph. The 250 has more underseat storage than the 500, but the 500 with the OEM top case carries plenty. Obviously the 500 has more grunt than the 250. Both bikes capture attention wherever you go.

I didn't choose the Burgman for it's styling. In fact, I never really cared much for maxi scoot styling. But running down the list of features I wanted for touring whittled the list down to one or two scoots, and the Burgman topped my list for desired features. Once I took it for a test ride, I was sold. Now that I've had it for about a month, I'm amazed and delighted with the balance and smooth operation of the scooter, and I'm looking forward to taking it on the road for a longer trip.
  17. Bearcat

Bearcat burg1

Oddometer:
  18. stealthman_1

stealthman_1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is an excellent write up. I don't understand the 0-60 performance figures though. With that HP, the BMWs aught to smoke my MP3. Still a lot of nice features, but the milage ain't what I'd want. When I get 55mpg (like now with it cold) with my bike, I'm bumming. I'll hold out for the ebike. 100km to the charge would make a sweet commuter.
  19. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    I was following all of the news, on these machines from BMW (the C 650 GT in particular), but in spite of BMW's statement that their target was to 'better' the leading competition ((-- no secret here; for sports concept the Yamaha Tmax, and for the tourer concept the big Burgman --)) on ONE ISSUE ALONE it seems that BMW have failed. . . . . . the issue of seat height!

NB. I'll already chosen Burgman over Tmax (in spite of Tmax's handling advantages) because of the Burgman's 750mm seat height.

Exact same issue why current motorcycle offerings from Moto Guzzi & BMW don't interest me . . . . their seats are higher than the seats on models sold back in the seventies (Guzzi 850-T and /5, /6 BMWs)!

Sorry BMW --- the "bar" has been raised TOO high for me, even in the 780 mm seat height offered by your C 650 GT (which is 30mm lower than your C 600 Sport). :huh
  20. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    At that price, BMW has my attention. I have but two concerns based on what I have read on the bike. The 0-60 times are slower than the Burgman which is heavier and of significantly less HP. The fuel tank at 4.2 gallons is a bit small for touring. Touring bikes should have a range of 250 miles or so.

I'd like to see the storage on the touring model. If it has a divider like the sport model, that kills the utility of the storage area. I hope either BMW or Givi makes a tailcase rack.