BMW C600 and C650

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 8, 2011.

1. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Local dealer in long beach is being mumm on the price but did indicate gt would be in the 10k price range equipped. Will be on display at the long beach show next month
  2. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Source1: Hendrik von Kuenheim - CEO BMW Motorcycle. Interview mentioned above.
    Source2: "Dirk" - engineer working many years in Taiwan for Kymco and Dr.Pulley. (Revealed some details in the German Kymco forum long before H.v.Kuenheim made it official.)

Kymco builds the G450 engine for BMW, but the G650 is produced by Loncin in China (and still said to be better quality than the former Rotax engine).

BMW and Kymco have a strategical partnership. Kymco too builds engines for Husqvarna (belonging to BMW!) and many other parts, unloading the productions lines of BMW (H.v.Kuenheim). Probably soon some more small engines for BMW.
    And Kymco gets know-how like their 300i and 700i engines for Downtown and MyRoad (and his electronically adjustable suspension).
    H.v.Kuenheim denies plans to take over Kymco. BMw for big and premium, Kymco for small and medium and value-for-money.
  3. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    from the scuttlebut that I have heard....:ear:evil....This sounds correct.
  4. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
  5. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    More than anything else, I hope your information on the prices proves to be accurate.
  6. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Me too, my wife wants one big time.:huh
  7. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the new Honda Integra 700 which Honda are cooling a 'scooter'. Weather protection, footbaords, fully automatic, but not with CVT and 17 inch wheels. I'd call it an automatic motorcycle myself, because the 'step through' section is so high, it's not even a 'step over'. Only 50bhp though, compared to the 60bhp of the new BMW superscoots.

Those in SoCal may be interested to know that the new Mk4 530 Tmax has been launched over the past few days in Hollywood. We rode it from Hollywood to Malibu and back via Mulholland Highway on Friday, and there'll be another bunch of journos doing it today. No Yanks though, because Yamaha USA apparently haven't decided yet whether they want to import it! I've posted a photo of myself on Mulholland here: http://www.bikeweb.com/node/2402
    PNB
  8. Brooktown Geezer

Oddometer:
    Sat on both the 600 Sport and the 650 GT today at the Long Beach IMS. I thought I would like the GT best, but actually liked the Sport better. Both were getting LOTS of attention.
  9. Brooktown Geezer

Oddometer:
    Comparing the Burgman 650 to the BMW 650, I am happy with the Burgman. The BMW 650 GT didn't really have anything over the Burgman that I could see. YMMV
  10. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    European demand and sales projections have been over expectations. What was supposed to show up in 2012 in the 2nd quarter, will be now pushed off until the 4th quarter as a 2013 model for those of us here in the US.

Stay tuned.
  11. Brooktown Geezer

Oddometer:
    I got an email from a BMW dealer today, saying virtually the same thing. Could even be late in the 4th quarter.
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  13. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not much discussion on these scooters the past 8 years? The C650 (Sport & GT) got to be the king of all scooters? Are there any other alternatives in this class other than the Burgman 650 Excutive?

Are these BMW maxi-scooters unpopular, too big & expensive, or are the owners too busy riding?

I think this big style of scooter is tempting, but as far as I can see the current line is quite old. I currently drive XMAX 300 and basically want the extra power of this BMW with some of the cooler features of more modern bikes.

Missing features which would push me faster towards a purchase:

• led (front) lights
    • keyless ignition
    Already included features which I enjoy for my smaller scooter:

• heated grips
    • ABS brakes
    • traction control
    And then some features I currently don't have on my smaller scooter, which makes me want this BMW super scooter:
    • more power (650cc)
    • automatically adjustable windshield (GT only)
    • heated seat (including separate control for passenger!)
    • full break when kickstand is down (perfect!)
    What I worry about is the weight when moving it around the garage or at slow speed / stopping / parking. I want something where I can easily avoid falling/tipping.
  14. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are nice machines, but check service and maintenance costs before you buy. The final drive is a multi-row chain which must be changed out every 25K mile (40K kilometers) or so. Also, some of the earlier machines had issues with the cam chain tensioner.
  15. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    Sad true story: I saw a C650GT in the shop of a local BMW dealer. The owner crashed it their first day... they'd previously only used small scooters. It's a very different boat! Err, scooter!
  16. FreewheelBurning

Oddometer:
    How embarassing, obviously not worthy.

I enjoy not having to remember to put down the kick stand before dismounting medium scooters. They just don"t drop and can almost be balanced with one arm only. I'm more worried the weight of this thing would make me drop it sooner or later. I have the A class motorcycle driver license which is for heavy motorcycles so I'm less worried of crashing it in speed.
  17. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Tmax 530 comes to mind as an alternative.
  18. FreewheelBurning

Oddometer:
    Yes that is the closest thing, you maybe right. In Europe the Tmax is classified as a medium heavy motorcycle because of its max 43.7 hp, requiring A2 category license. I want to go above the magic limit of 47 hp (BMW C650 got 60 hp), which makes it into the heaviest/unrestricted class of motorcycles. Kind of childish I know...
  19. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Not childish at all. The world has rules and laws and we must live with-in them.:D
    What about a Kymco MyRoad 700?
    FreewheelBurning likes this.
  20. Odin

Odin Adv rider

Oddometer:
    I looked at the BMW's and wanted a 2016 650 Sport due to it having traction control which is useful on slick city streets. After comparing maintenance schedules and associated costs I went with a 2018 Burgman 650. It doesn't have the traction control but has everything else including plenty of power for passing on the highway. It is also a lot cheaper to maintain as the CVT is a non maintenance item and you can get up to 6 years of warranty from Suzuki which would cover it if it broke. After riding both there's not really much difference in the ride but the Suzuki carries a lot more stuff. I've been avg 45+ mpg.
    FreewheelBurning likes this.