BMW C600 and C650

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Nov 8, 2011.

1. CactusWren

CactusWren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am buying a used 2018 C650GT from the local dealer. It has 4K miles and 1.5 years left on the 3 year warranty. I pick it up Friday, three days from now.
    kpinvt likes this.
  2. FreewheelBurning

FreewheelBurning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please let us know what you think after some time riding it. I keep considering one of these as my next bike (need to save up a lot of money first). The C650 Sport/GT looks better than Burgman 650. But the Burgman 650 looks a lot better for passenger comfort with that backrest. I really wish there was a supreme hybrid between the two. All the shared and distinct features looks awesome:

• electronically foldable mirrors
    • electronically adjustable wind shield
    • heated grips and seats (separate controls for passenger looks neat)
    • ABS
    • traction control
    • full break when kickstand is down / parking breaks
    My hopes for future versions:
    • factory integrated cruise control
    • keyless ignition
    • led lights (front, turn, rear)
  3. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    I sure will. I've had one scooter before this one, a KYMCO 200i, which was a great little scooter, just too small and under-powered for me. I still have 7 motorcycles.
  4. FreewheelBurning

Oddometer:
    That'll make your thoughts even more valuable. I'm really torn on this subject.
  5. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    Well, my review may not be worth much since I'm not purchasing this scooter for any long-distance travel, commuting, or riding with a passenger. I will just ride it, in rotation, with my 7 motorcycles. The most "luggage" I will ever carry is a tool pack, which I carry when riding any of my other bikes. Also, the longest ride I will make is about 50 miles over mostly back roads, a few city streets, and a 4-mile stretch of interstate. I'm retired. I've had 57 (now 58) bikes in my 50+ years of riding. I ride 4 times a week, every week of the year. Also, I never ride in bad weather -- been there, done that.
  6. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    Questions for any owners of 2017+ C650GT: Is there a powerlet outlet to attach a battery tender? If so, where is it? Is it canbus? Can the battery be accessed easily? Where is it located?

(I don't have my 2018 C650GT yet -- this Friday -- so I don't have a rider's manual to possibly find the answers to these questions . . . )
  7. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    The dealership just called me and said that they hooked up an SAE pigtail to the battery and brought the connector end out just under the fairing. They did this for free, without me asking them to. They said I will be pleased to see how they did it. This is great news -- don't need a canbus-capable tender now. IronHorse M/C in Tucson is the best! [​IMG]
    FreewheelBurning likes this.
  8. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    First ride -- 2018 BMW C650GT

I took the first ride on my new (to me) 2018 BMW C650GT. It has 4.9K miles. First off I need to tell you how I ride and why this post here may not have the info that potential buyers are looking for. I ride for fun and only short rides, rarely more than 60 miles and most times only 40 miles. I'm retired and I ride 4 mornings a week, every week of the year. I never ride in the rain or other inclement weather -- been there, done that, in my 50+ years of riding the 58 motorcycles that I have owned. I currently have 8 bikes, well . . . 7 bikes and a scooter. I'm not going to use this scooter for commuting or for long trips. Also been there, done that, with the long trips.

The scooter is comfortable and easy to drive. I think that should go without saying, but, well . . . I said it. It feels lighter than it is (575 lbs) due to the very low COG. It effortlessly takes off and cruises easily at 70 mph on the 4-mile stretch of interstate that is part of my loop rides. I got it up to 80 mph once and it felt like there was some left -- not much -- but some. My feeling is that it would do the ton flat out, but not much more. The mirrors are WONDERFUL. They equal the best mirrors of some of my motorcycles. Clear at all speeds -- no vibes. The dials, especially the speedo is easy to see, even in the sun. The handling is very good -- this old rider will not be able to tap it's potential. The suspension absorbs bumps as well as most of the bikes I've had -- not as good as some but also better than some. My 2004 H-D Sportster XL1200R comes to mind as the worst suspension on any motorcycle that I've ever owned. And, of course, the suspension on the C650GT is not as good as a real sport bike.

I wish it had an engine temp gauge (water temp) instead of the idiot light.

Here' a pic in front of my house:

Attached Files:

sro99, FreewheelBurning and joker-b like this.
  9. FreewheelBurning

Oddometer:
    Very nice writeup, thanks.
    CactusWren likes this.
  10. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    My "first ride" review also is lacking because I have only ridden one other scooter: my Kymco Like 200i. So I really can't compare the C650GT, a maxi, with any other scooter in its class.
  11. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    The high center-of-gravity of the 575 lb C650GT makes it feel lighter when pushing it around a hard level surface. But once you get onto a softer surface, like gravel, or start to push it uphill, then you realize just how damn heavy the thing really is. :bluduh I have 6 motorcycles and the only bike heavier than the C650GT is my 2000 K1200RS at 630 lbs.
  12. FreewheelBurning

Oddometer:
    You can handle it without coming close to dropping it? Sometimes I get that nasty sensation the bike is tipping over but luckily my xmax is so light there's always time to stop it from dropping.
    CactusWren likes this.
  13. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    Knock on wood (tapping my head) I haven't dropped a bike or scooter in 30 years. But sometimes I come close.
  14. S/W

S/W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a C600 Sport, I liked it a lot. Took several 3k trips on it with no problems. My wrists are getting arthritic so needed cruise control for those long mileage days and also wanted a bigger gas tank, so got a RT. I would have kept the Sport, but, didn't have room in the shed. Then bought a Kymco 150 for around town ( way more fun than most bikes). I still miss that Sport, and the Silverwing I had, both great under appreciated bikes.
  15. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    My solution: Get another shed. :thumb
  16. CactusWren

Oddometer:
    I meant to say "low center-of-gravity". Sorry.