BMW C650GT and C600 Sport Interchangeable Parts?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Sep 5, 2015.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the chance to test ride a C650 GT this afternoon. I really liked it. I test rode one a couple of years ago and my impressions were very different.

I really like the riding position on the GT. I remember trying the Sport a couple of years ago and liking it but finding the handlebar to be too low (somewhat like a Tmax).

So for all of you guys that have had experience or own one of these 2 scooters, I have a question.

Does the handlebar of the GT fit on the Sport? I would like to think so but What do you all think?
  2. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a guy on the BMW forum put the GT bars on the Sport. I'll ask and get back as soon I find out. If I knew who it was I'd send a message, but I do recall one member did it.

By the way, I think if I had to do it again, I'd get a GT.....maybe. I like the look of the sport better but two things: If you plan on any traveling, the GT of course holds more stuff underseat. No 2: the tail light on the GT is much bigger/visible, especially with a topcase. It also has a lower seat and passenger floorboards. The mirrors apparently vibrate though.

Either way, I like mine but just a few things I think would have made the GT a better choice, now that my wife rides with me occasionally.
  3. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the GT bars on my Sport. You must remove the handle bar body work as the GT bars don't have the mounting tabs in the same location. I didn't care about the covers as I have a gear bracket that would also interfere, so didn't try putting on the GT covers. Also, because of the different heights , you have to have the brake positions adjusted lower to miss the mirrors. I have a GIVI shield and you can't put it all the way down , the handle bars will hit. I ride with the shield in the middle position most of the time. I am happy and comfortable with this change. The forward lean was a little to extreme with the original bars, for my old back. With the GT bars I took a 2000 mile trip in June and was comfortable for the entire trip. All the cables,brake lines, and wiring are the same for both models. If you can get a good discount on the Sport ( the dealer gave me $2000 off) it will pay for a nice set of saddle bags and top case, to off set the loss of some under seat storage. The Sport is definitely the better looking of the two, with a more "sport bike" look!!
  4. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0312.JPG

GT bars on Sport , minus the covers.
  5. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Snowdog? Is that you?
    When you mentioned a 2000 mile trip I went to the touring/traveling section of the BMW forum.
  6. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here if you look closely there is a gear bracket that holds a; bag, radio, GPS, antenna, electrical control box w/voltmeter and heat controller. Also there is a provision for a drink holder. IMG_0450.JPG

The custom luggage racks hold GIVI side cases.
  7. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    pattern for gear bracket IMG_0319.JPG
  8. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes
  9. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    When you say the cables, brake lines, and wiring are the same, you didn't have to replace them? They are not shorter on the Sport model compared to the GT given the height difference?

I know you said you didn't put the covers from the GT on the Sport but do you think they would fit?
  10. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    The covers won't fit as is as the mounting tabs are in different locations. You don't need the covers anyway. You might get the GT covers and modify them for the Sport, but, why bother.

All the brake parts and wiring etc. on the handle bars have the same part numbers for both models. If you wanted to shim the bars higher with washers, ( I tried this) it might be advantageous to have longer parts. If you did this the mirrors would have to be changed for clearance. I may do the changes next winter.
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your response.

So just to be clear, one more time: when you put the GT bar on your Sport, you didn't change any of the cables/ wires, right? They were long enough to accommodate the new length/ height of the GT handlebar.

Do the GT handlebar covers have to be trimmed (at the bottom, I'm guessing) to fit the Sport?
  12. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the third time, they don't need to be replaced. You can get the part numbers on line and check yourself.
    I didn't try the GT handlebar covers as I didn't want them.
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    2015 C650GT Special Edition
    Hot damn!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    But then again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The C600 Sport is still sold in Europe.
  15. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 220 mile ride with my wife on back. Bike did amazingly well, speeds up to 75mph without effort and climbed into the Sierra Nevada's to Mariposa and Oakhurst. She was sore by the time we got home. Butt,hips,legs. Just too long of a ride for her. Only her 4th or 5th time. The hips were due to the width of the scooter.

BTW, you can get decals from puig for the c600 and probably still order the fancy seat for the C600. It has red stitching I think.
  16. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    The seat on the GT narrows to make more room for the legs of the passenger. Do you all know if there's a difference in width and leg room from the GT to the Sport?
  17. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    At the widest point, just coming forward from the grab handles, I measured somewhere around 23" across, no more than 24" but more than 22". And, that is where the passenger legs come down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I wonder how wide it is for the GT now. My wife sat on the GT this Saturday but there was no Sport for comparison. She likes the seat/ riding position a lot on the GT. She prefers the looks of the Sport. I like 'em both! Lol
  19. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Yeah they're both nice. My wife had nothing bad to say the first few trips, but this was about 100 more than an others.