BMW Club of WA - Indian Ocean Drive to Cervantes Western Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by spacey1, Dec 7, 2010.

1. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    The BMW Club of WA went north to recce the new Indian Ocean Drive to Cervantes in Western Australia. This new road along the coast knocks half an hour off the trip from Perth to Cervantes, now only 194 kilometres. Access to the Pinnacles is vastly improved, plus it opens up access to Wedge Island and Grey. A posse of club riders spent the day tailing (secret location) David on his GS 1150 Dakar.
  2. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    Neither Google Maps nor Nearmaps feature the map of the Indian Ocean Drive. Here is the map from the Main Roads of Western Australia.

[​IMG]
  3. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    David, of course, surprised us with the number of lovely locations along our coastline that most of us were unaware of. Yanchep Lagoon for example...

[​IMG]
  4. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    Out of the blue, another secret location of David's pops into view, the Moore River upstream from Guilderton :)

[​IMG]
  5. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    Jamie (R1200GS) is overcome with delight by the sight of water in our dry land, that he begins by praising the river god...

[​IMG]
  6. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    Up north in previously inaccessible (except with 4WDs) areas is the lovely Wedge Island. The area is full of shanty fishing shacks. Bet the locals are pissed that their private fishing spot is now available to the rest of the world. This photo is from the lookout over Wedge Island.

[​IMG]
  7. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    This photo shows the new Indian Ocean Drive winding through the sand dunes from the Wedge Island lookout, Indian Ocean Drive, Western Australia. MRWA really did go out of it's way to avoid building a boring straight road. Sadly it also means that there are endless double lines, big convoys of caravans / small transports trucks / Sunday drivers, and more importantly, plenty of locations for the inevitable ticket-writer.

[​IMG]
  8. spacey1

spacey1 Spacey

Oddometer:
    Now I bet you were beginning to wonder where the bikes are? Here they are in the car park at the Wedge Island lookout, Indian Ocean Drive, Western Australia

[​IMG]
  9. thumper gman

thumper gman GLEN

Oddometer:
    was this on sunday i seen heap of gs,s pass by i was on a red klr a couple of mates with dr 650 and a cbr 600 nice road we done 500 kms all up on sunday not a bad sunday ride hay
  10. edwardalmost

edwardalmost n00b

Oddometer:
    re: richard petty experience

The problem with the richard petty experience of a lifetime is that all though you do get to drive a real nascar stock car you only get to do it with a pace car and only up to about 140. If you have ever been in a real racecar, 140mph feels like 50 in a production car. Dont get me wrong it was an amazing experience but I definately should have tried the Skip Barber Racing School, or the Mario Andretti Racing Experience. I have read on their sites that you get to go over 160 and as fast as your skill and the car will allow,(this should approach 202 mph). The best of which looks to be the Dale Jarret racing schools followed by the Mario Andretti Racing Experience. Both experiences claim to be the fastest schools and the claims seem to be supported by the youtube videos and reviews I have found.
  11. Kwuby

Kwuby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are the ride dates etc ?