BMW Dealer Charge/Overcharge

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Gibfried, Oct 21, 2019.

1. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    $310 for my 6k, without the brake flush, which would have added $110. I'll have them do that at 12 mos. So I figure 10-20% more than you, but I live in a pretty expensive part of the country.

I'm grateful to have a local dealer I can take my bike to for service, I understand there's a cost for them to do that work. I think what they charge is fair for the service I receive.

I appreciate all the diy folks, it's great to have choices.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your dealer owes you $43.20. TFT update should be warranty. Rest seems in the ballpark for dealer charges.
  3. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a busy professional. I have time to work and time to ride (and a little time to read forums). Power to the folks doing it themselves but it would cost me money to do it myself. I used to do it all myself but I just don’t have time. Sorry for the rant but I kind of get sick and tired of making people feel bad for taking it to the dealer. All of the folks I take my bikes to are trained/skilled folks that I know do a good job.

To the OP, I paid $325 for my first service ( no TFT upgrade yet). Labor was 110/hr. They provided a detailed sheet of all they did as well as the charges shown in your sheet for parts and oil. Compared to other higher end brands this seemed reasonable. It probably varies place to place mainly in labor.

If you want a hurt bootie buy a Ducati. Finely made machines but daaamn.
    MoseFitch, SmittyBlackstone and sieg like this.
  4. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Very reasonable.
  6. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep reasonable, I find that if I do the fluid/filter changes myself and bring the bike in for valves etc it saves some $ and gives me the opportunity to really give the bike a good inspection. But there have been times that I just cant do it and the dealer does the whole service.
  7. Dug89

Dug89 Amenmoto.com

Oddometer:
    On the TFT firmware upgrade, here is what I understand talking with my service writer. The TFT upgrade takes two hours and it requires the bike to be in a service bench during that time which takes away time the tech can be working on another bike. If the dealer wants, they can charge back that service to BMW but BMW only pays them for a 1/2 hour. BMW wants a good warranty reason to reimburse the dealer so I told them that the TFT would not connect to the NAV and phone consistently.

The TFT upgrade is a money loser for the tech who cannot use that bench for 1.5 hours and sometimes BMW might not reimburse the dealers for the 1/2 hour.

Seems that TFT upgrades don't happen often and they are generally good to get as you might get enhancements. Is $45 reasonable for that? I think so. Triumph wants $55 to reset the service wrench on the Bonnevilles. Takes them all of 5 minutes.

So get friendly with the service writer and he or she just might work with you on the TFT upgrade.
  8. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    This can depend on which bicycle you choose to ride, some of those things can get quite pricey.
    wasproxy, X5- and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  9. Gibfried

Gibfried Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it’s a conspiracy to make self sufficient mechanics out of us all. Looks like it’s working. I do most of my own work on other vehicles anyway.

So it looks like those charges are pretty normal (and it’s not a Ducati:cromag). Thanks all for the knowledge shared. I’ve never been much for taking something to the shop except in the case where I may do more harm than good... which means I’m not used to seeing service and mechanic bills. Part of the reason I love motorcycles is the mechanical side of the hobby. Something else to learn:gdog

Thanks all.
    SmittyBlackstone and ExodusRider like this.
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the wrong business. wow.
    Gibfried likes this.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never too late to change, be a motorcycle dealer ....... get rich fast! :lol2
  12. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I forget exactly what I paid for the 1st service but that seems in line. The bike has only been to the dealer for a recall and a tire swap since October of 2015, otherwise I've done all the maintenance on it since then.
  13. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Qualified BMW tech are scare, this is why Bentonville BMW closed. One you can trust to work on your bike will make 25 to 50 a book hour. You have to have workman's comp, they have to test ride, so it costs $$$. Then there is other insurance, property tax, floor plan costs. BMW wants fancy dealerships, with conforming wall paper, carpet, signs, tools computers etc. More $$$$. They do not like multi line, but will tolerate it if you have separate showrooms etc. So more $$$. Talk to a business accountant. Then are are all the "frugal" bmw owners. You are getting off cheap.

Rod
    spokester, Gezerbike, sieg and 2 others like this.
  14. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bentonville ended up stuck with a scooter, not on floor plan anymore. I suspect that was a bitter pill to swallow. I am sure somone now or will soon own it, but they will take a UUUUGE loss. They were a great dealer, and they are no more just because they could not find a tech.

Rod
  15. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    No offense here, but itemizing the cost of operating a BMW dealership does nothing to make the pill easier to swallow for an owner..

Not only did the OP get charged the software update which is normally a warranty item, the bike was already on the bench and hooked up to the machine for the rest of the scheduled work.. so that update was easily done in 5 mins, which tells me more about how they operate.

Unless you befriend / get persoanl with your local tech, it will serve your interest best to ask questions and get advice from others to have a proper baseline for any service..

And no..he didnt get off cheap lol..
    bobw, AJ41 and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems "reasonable", however you define that. The parts costs are not out of line, and the labour costs seem the same. This was an annual service, not the running-in check, so your first brake flush is included in what you paid (given you were charged for brake fluid). BMW calls for brakes to be flushed initially at one year, then every two years thereafter, so the dealer did not gouge you on that. I think there may be a few "apples-to-oranges" cost comparisons earlier in this thread, as people referred to first service etc., which may well not have included the labour and fluid for a brake flush. You might, though, want to ask your dealership what the policy is on TFT software updates.
  17. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    True.. i misread the service when he mentioned it was a brand new bike.. lol
  18. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

I doubt it's not being able to find a tech, as much as not being able to find a tech you're willing to pay for. I've known several people from BMW dealers over the years that were lured to other parts of the country by other dealers. I assume they got a sweet enough deal to make the move. With all the money in the Bentonville area, I'm surprised they couldn't work something out.
  19. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was not money, he inherited a house in sunny ride year around CA. He was a very good tech. Yes, he is is making more in CA , but the free house made it possible. Maybe they were spoiled by a good fast tech, or maybe all the others really could not do the job. In any case, it is over now.

Rod
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why would you let anyone make you feel bad that you do not do it yourself? That gives way too much power to some person you don't even know typing on the internet! :deal
    rdbonds, ydarg, Covert and 5 others like this.