BMW Dealer Charge/Overcharge

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Gibfried, Oct 21, 2019.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So your dealer only has one stand for bikes, and that stand is tied up by a rolling cart with a computer on it? Your dealer is full of crap.
  2. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Gibfried, post: 38638434, member: 426176"

For the service they charged $364.01. Is this reasonable?

View attachment 1953904 [/QUOTE]

"Is this reasonable?" ...................... I'd say it's not unreasonable.

Here's the sad part .............. I would have done it for $350 !!!! :lol3

This is really sad to hear that BMW of Bentonville has closed! I had not heard that news until now.
    They were the last dealership left in Arkansas after Little Rock closed several years ago.
    Bob May, the Bentonville owner, had felt like he had been sorta hassled for years by the BMW "mother ship."
    He told me once that they wanted him to spend a lot of money on a new sign. He said that the new sign was going to cost him more than the dealership made in a year! I assume that was an exaggeration, but the point was well made. And he said that they never did approve of his quonset hut buildings for the shop and dealership.
    Bob opened his file cabinet and showed me something that he had sent to BMW North America.
    It was a cross between the BMW Roundel ................ & a Swastika! :imaposer
    I believe his exact quote was "Fucking Nazis!" :lol3

He said he told them (BMW NA) that if they didn't back off, that they were looking at a drawing of his NEW SIGN!
    He said that it shut them up for a few years.
    It was hilarious, blue and white alternating swastika with the outer legs of the cross rounded off ........ it was damn obvious that it was a cross between a swastika and their roundel logo.
    Having been privy to a few stories like that .......... it might not have taken much of a push to get Bob to close the doors.

Those dealerships probably have to "walk a finer line" than most of us realize.

RD
    spokester and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:

"Is this reasonable?" ...................... I'd say it's not unreasonable.

Here's the sad part .............. I would have done it for $350 !!!! 3

This is really sad to hear that BMW of Bentonville has closed! I had not heard that news until now.
    They were the last dealership left in Arkansas after Little Rock closed several years ago.
    Bob May, the Bentonville owner, had felt like he had been sorta hassled for years by the BMW "mother ship."
    He told me once that they wanted him to spend a lot of money on a new sign. He said that the new sign was going to cost him more than the dealership made in a year! I assume that was an exaggeration, but the point was well made. And he said that they never did approve of his quonset hut buildings for the shop and dealership.
    Bob opened his file cabinet and showed me something that he had sent to BMW North America.
    I believe his exact quote was "Fucking Nazis!" 3

He said he told them (BMW NA) that if they didn't back off, that they were looking at a drawing of his NEW SIGN!
    It was hilarious, blue and white alternating swastika with the outer legs of the cross rounded off ........ it was damn obvious that it was a cross between a swastika and their roundel logo.
    Having been privy to a few stories like that .......... it might not have taken much of a push to get Bob to close the doors.

RD[/QUOTE]Ha.. great story..
    spokester and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    if BMW were to poll us owners, and ask us how much extra we were willing to pay for a fancy dealership compared to a competent dealership with a worn out couch, old magazines and cheap coffee in a quonset hut, they might discover we would not pay a single penny extra.

Rod
  5. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would pay a few pennies for my BMW service guys (not a dealership) to buy a couch & a few old magazines.
    I get my coffee from the takeaway next door, take my own book and my own camp chair.
    SmittyBlackstone and JimVonBaden like this.
  6. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A worn out couch would probably be more comfortable than those BMW furniture stools I see in dealerships. Fortunately my local dealer has a Triumph section where there’s comfy furniture if I want to hang around. :lol3
    CheapB, SmittyBlackstone and Deano747 like this.
  7. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Triumph??? OOOOOOHHHHHH.. dim sum fighting words, yo..
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    $108/hr for labor and no sales tax on the labor? Not reasonable. Around here we pay $135/hr plus another 10% sales tax so we are almost at $150/hr. You should have to pay more like me! :rofl
    Deano747 likes this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Lmao..where is around here so we dont move out there!!
  10. Jetskifast

Jetskifast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Washington state has no state income tax.
    But has labor service tax.
    It’s apples and oranges.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Where in his post did he say that dealer told him any of that ? Undeserved dealer bash in my book. Everyone here laments Bentonville closing.....they were just one of 7 that closed doors in the last 12 months. And no one running in to fill that void. Having spent a career working with privately owned businesses, I can appreciate what a private owner must do to keep the doors open. Now working part time in retirement at a dealer, I see just how hard it is to keep the doors open. New tire machine coming in to help deal with the Carbon Fiber RR wheels. $4,200.00 dollars. How many tires will it take to pay that off ? 15 new 1600's in stock that we can't sell. What does that cost ? OP, you didn't get ripped off on your bill. Fairly priced in my opinion.
    spokester and sieg like this.
  12. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    i LIKE THE 1600. I do not want to own one though. I guess others have a similar opinion. what does a first service on that that cost?. How about a valve check/adjust. Is there a prepaid legal program, because I know I would need it. they are fun, but I fear daily ownership is less fun.

Rod
  13. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    My dealer lets me take out any demo bike from their fleet when coming in for service.

I took out a K1600LT just for the hell of it for the day one of the two times I’ve been in to the service dept. It was like driving a couch compared to a GSA (in a good way). I was expecting it to be similar to a Concours but it was way more civilized and quiet.

That said, a K bike is not my thing.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  14. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the service writer is blowing smoke up someones behind with that tale about taking up bench space to complete the TFT update. My TFT firmware update was free and my dealership had my bike setup in a corner of the garage where it didn't have any effect on the service areas where bikes were being worked on. The OP's repair bill is in line with what others pay except the charge for the TFT firmware update and I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership charged the OP and submitted warranty reimbursement from BMW.
    JimVonBaden and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. wellcraft

Oddometer:
    The cost of services on the K16 are very similar to what you pay for the same services on the GS and the 18K service will set you back about $1000 +/-
  16. wellcraft

Oddometer:
    So I'm curious why your dealership has 15 K16's that you can't sell? Does BMW force dealerships to purchase a certain number of bikes?
  17. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    There is a recall coming and we can’t sell any new or used K 1600’s. So we have over $ 250000 tied up in bikes that will just sit for months.
  18. wellcraft

Oddometer:
    Got it....I was aware of the no sell order on the K16's, seems BMW ought to do something to offset the financial hardship dealerships face with bikes in inventory they can't sell because of the recall.
  19. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote snip
    I believe his exact quote was "Fucking Nazis!" :lol3

End snip

They kept the "non-conforming" sign to the bitter end. I hope some one keeps it for a garage hanging.

Rod
  20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Is that tire machine just for CF wheels only ie. can cast/spoke wheels' owners still get their wheels scratched for free using old wheel's scratcher-one?? :lol3

All kidding aside, which tire machine is that, out of curiosity?? $500 No-mar tire changer can deal with CF wheels without issues - just sayin' there were less costly alternatives... :deal
    JimVonBaden likes this.