BMW Dealer Charge/Overcharge

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Gibfried, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Lmao!!
    Man, if I saw a dealership using a NoMar to do tire changes.. I'll be taking my ass home and getting on mine ..
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    :rofl

That was just a counterargument that the tires on CF wheels can be changed using less expensive lets say Hyundai tire machine instead of Rolls Royce one... :jack
    Last time I let a dealer change the tire on any of my donkees' was back in '09 on my brand spanking NOS '07 R/S while, you guessed it, the tire machine left tiny marks on my perfect cast wheels from clamping jaws... :dirtdog

Never, ever, has anyone else changed the tires on my bikes' wheels since, except me - I can scratch my wheels myself for free (although I haven't)… :D
    mitchapalooza and ExodusRider like this.
  3. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:
    I paid $281 for the first service which included the firmware update and also checking an error message I had at about 580 miles. They should not have charged you for the firmware update. The dealer gets reimbursed by the OEM as I would think it’s a warrant item.

89F02BC6-33FD-4D85-9AD1-9E684233F33F.jpeg
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    It won't be in for several weeks, but its' footprint is twice the size of our old Coats machine. While no price has been thrown out there, the thoughts are the Carbon Fiber wheels will probably cost about $ 2500- $ 3000 each to replace. OUCH !!! Oh, we have 2 of the new RR's with those wheels in stock but can't sell them either. And a handful of 310's that can't be sold. And same with a couple of scooters. But on the brite side, new calipers are coming in for the RT's and GS's so we can start replacing those. And BMW is helping a little financially to cover cost of storing, moving and such for the bikes we can't sell. So I do get my nose a little out of joint when I hear, or read, all the dealer bashing. I've been friends with the original dealer for 25 years and now with the new dealer for 10 years. And with my current view, I see why 7 or 8 dealers have dropped by the wayside. It's a delicate balance of satisfying persnickity customers and still be able to open the doors everyday and make a profit.
    SmittyBlackstone, side-burn and sieg like this.
  6. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I've got to stop by CW to see that new Rolls Royce tire changing machine in few weeks when it pops in - curious to see what it looks like and what/how it does what it does... I bet the S1KRR owners will be thrilled that there's superdy duperdy tire changer for their CF wheels - and most likely, price for such tire change exercise will be appropriately high... :lol3

'20 S1KRR CF wheels' pricing per online price fiche shows ~$3200 for Front and ~$3600 for Rear... Not quite following as to why such high price if BST who "invented" CF wheels would sell a set (both front and rear) for ~$3500 and they look out of this world... Although I like the shape and spokes of R boxer BST CF wheels better than S1KRR's...:deal

As for OCD persnickety customers who're never satisfied (in general speaking terms), this may turn out to what comes first the chickins or the eggs?? :dunno

If the dealers (in general speaking terms) would do their best to earn customer's high satisfaction, tighten all of the bolts to proper spec, not over charge for replacing every nut and bolt and seal that doesn't need replacing, not scratch the customer's wheels when changing tires and then pretend like the scratches were there before (on a bike during first tire change :dirtdog) etc etc etc - things would've been different, I'm sure!! :deal I maintain my donkees for fun as a part of the hobby and I do enjoy it but many riders are forced to wrench on their own bikes as the shops they deal with can't be trusted for variety of reasons.... Whether or not, those shops should still be in business if working that way is a whole nuther topic for whole nuther day...

I may not know all of the financial ins-and-outs as to how few dealers (whom I know very well) operate, but I do know that their shops are quite full at all times with people bringing bikes so the happy balance can be found to mutual satisfaction and both dealers and customers may have to work at it... :deal
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    The BMW service items are all good and prices are fair (even cheap, compared to Switzerland BMW).
    But...the TFT update is "FREE" if you had mentioned to them that the connectivity does not work.
    In any case, under warranty....TFT updates are usually Gratis.
  8. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. BMW is expensive. Don't ride one if you want to count cents...
    Gezerbike likes this.
  9. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Miami Beach, Fl / Charleston, SC & London
    My opinion is that neither the brake fluid nor the TFT should have been charged for on a first service .. or the TFT be charged for at any time after any BMW change or BMW supplied item issue. Anyone that thinks that it is a fault of the owners that it takes two hours of a bike ramp time to complete needs to stop flying with Boeing as otherwise the 737's will never be fixed ?.
    The changing of brake fluid is a complete joke .. I am not sure how many Ferarri's .. Porsche or Lamboghini's have their oil changed in a lifetime never mind on the first service.
    I agree that the BMW dealers have a good place but to be honest, finding a good one especially in the quieter and colder states is difficult as for 5 months of the year they are basically not working nor gaining continual experience of the actual every day's fault or repetitive problems. The warmer states and where the bikes are not put in the owner's garage for 4 - 5 months give the dealers more exposure to actual issues and services. Maybe that is one reason the quieter and colder state BMW dealers charge a little more so as they can keep living and open through the colder months.
  10. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW sets the brake fluid change interval at 1 yr for the first change, and 2 yrs there after. When you go to a dealer and say service my bike without further direction, they are going to do what BMW recommends. This is sound business because in theory BMW, the company that designs and builds these bikes, is likely in a good place to recommend their proper care. Further, BMW, when evaluating warranty claims, wants to make sure the bike was maintained as they recommend.

I'd argue it's not a conspiracy to drive service revenue. I'm so naive I think it's a conspiracy to help keep you safe. Brake fluid performance deteriorates with time, it's that simple. They want to insure your braking system performs optimally in all circumstances, they recommend regular changes. The first interval is 12 mos to compensate for the time the bike may have sat on the dealers floor. Personally I think it should be every two years starting at the build date, and that's the schedule I follow.

Oh, and about the Ferarri's .. Porsche or Lamboghini's. They all recommend a brake fluid change every two years.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

Motorcycles tend to be pretty hard on fluid. It is due to the very small quantities, high heat cycles, and often long stretches of not being ridden. I do not think that the 1st year then every 2 years concept is made up to drive service business.
    ssilliman and swiss-happy like this.
  12. Mikey Mike

Oddometer:
    It surprises me just how much actual improvement in products actually counts to the end user .. Brake fluids many years ago were in a prehistoric condition but all material nowadays have been improved on hundreds of times and the general costs of the bike will actually incur a cost from BMW for research and development.
    If we were formula one driver then I agree to change the brake fluid regularly but I think there are larger issues than to change the brake fluid ... wasn't so long ago that the calipers were inducing air and making the braking softer. Wonder how many final drive sealing boots and greasing of the spline makeup part of the service or if the is driven by the bikes use ?.

The other item concerning the fact the bike may have stood before being purchased is not the fault of the bikes eventually owner. I am sure that had the bike stood for 12 months in a dealership then BMW would not complete a 12-month service before it was actually sold ... but they insist on the brake fluid being changed 12 months afterward ... so a one year period on wear and tear is on wear and tear and not age. If you ride a bike 3000 miles per year or 10000 miles a year should be taken into consideration for the service and the works completed ... I am sure that if anyone saw a bike for sale at 3000 miles and one at 30000 miles they would take the 3000 ?.

I think BMW give little thought about the buyer ... they give more thought to the Chinese, Malaysia and Vietnamese employee on $300 per month instead of $5000 per month.

I guess BMW must be right if they leave bikes with loose spokes and repair so many items under a warranty condition ... I have three of them and pay the service fees when I do not have time to do the works myself but do I agree with the service ... Check ... Check ... Inspect .. Inspect .. 80% eyes and very little of the two hours is hands-on service work and this is why many are now completing the works themselves.

I am no way of knocking BMW as I think they are like most every other dealer except maybe the Japanese companies such as Honda who win sales because they do not place as much liability on doing things that are a little assinign ..
  13. 103M 95G

103M 95G Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Evening Gents, bumping the thread instead of starting a new one.

So I'm scheduled for the 6000 service on my 2017 R1200 GSA next week, yeah I don't ride enough.
    My dealer quoted me a price of ~$610 for the service. This seems excessive, What are y'all paying for this service?
    Note: I had the brakes flushed last year when I had the bike serviced in June 2019. so it should be an oil change, air filter inspection/change, Plug the bike up so the computer can talk to Germany, and while the oil is draining give the bike the once over.
    This is in New Orleans, so I called a dealer in FL and they quoted a price of like $250-$280ish for the 6000mile service

What has been y'alls experience for this service?

14. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    $300 sounds about right.
    Just an oil change and checking for loose screws / fittings, etc.

But if it's a 2017 and only 6k miles, it may be time for others..

$600 sounds excessive unless other tasks are included.

Just search for JVB maintenance videos off YouTube and do it yourself.. will cost you about $100 or less in parts.
  15. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    OP, Looks about right. Kind of BS for the update, an arguable point.
    Here in CA it’s $115 an hour...
  16. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Ask them what the cost is for just the oil change and exactly whatever else it is you want.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    The quote you got for 6K service is definitely too high - someone has recently reported, in one of the other threads, spending ~$750 for 12K service. Being that 6K service is far less than 12K, ~50% of what you've been quoted should be some rough guideline as to what you should pay...

That said, if you take a look at the back of your owner's manual, you'll see exactly what 6K service is all about and, with tons of resources on the interweb, you could deep your toes into diy if mechanically inclined and in the comfort of your own garage at your leisure...

Otherwise, you can call 3rd dealer and get the best offer of the 3 and go with that one... :deal
  18. Mikey Mike

Oddometer:
    I live in Miami Beach, Florida so only believe 30% of what the dealers say to you ... and forget using the Miami dealers if there as a waste of time - I would only use Ft Lauderdale for any servicing.
    I use Asheville, NC for any works or modifications as they actually know what they are doing ... hard to find a good dealership.
    The $610 + tax is high but they will disregard the mileage and will service by the age of the bike - little warranty left anyway so unless you have really ridden it lately then forget the service and wait until next year.
    If the bike is running well then an oil change may be all that is needed.
    You do not even need a system update if it is running fine.
  19. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    When comparing dealer prices, always ask their hourly rate. Where I live we have 2 dealers, one who charges $ 125/hr and the other charges $ 180/hr. Best to compare apples to apples.

EDIT: To further make my point, one dealer charges $ 195 doc fees on a sale and the other charges $ 300. $ 300 is the max our state allows.
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  20. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW will only pay for a TFT/DME/Software update if it populates as necessary when running the Vehicle History (which should be done any time a bike is serviced at a dealer). Vehicle History is also where Campaigns or Recalls will show up if needed. If it doesn't show up as required BMW will not pay. The dealership then might bill for it. Some do, some don't as evidenced by this thread. It seems common belief for many that this should be free, I won't argue one way or the other. I will say that I have not read the entire thread, but what I have read I didn't see it mentioned how the technicians are paid. That may not matter to an end customer. BUT if the tech is paid 'flat rate' and someone (customer, service writer/manager, etc.) asks that tech to perform a TFT update (which does take time) and BMW isn't paying then the tech needs to get paid somehow. The dealer could eat it, but they would likely catch that elsewhere (higher hourly rate?). If the dealer is showing it as a separate line item and charging for it at least it gives the customer the chance to inquire, whereas if it is just baked into the overall price you likely pay without knowing.