1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW detergent for washing riding suits; REALLY?!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zouch, Oct 11, 2002.

1. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    took a look at the washing instructions that came with my Savanna Riding Suit, and they recommend "BMW detergent only"! (P/N 72602342198)

is this for real? has anyone ever seen and/or used this stuff?
    is there any real reason to (other than to have a bottle with a Rondel in the Laundry Room), or more importantly, any concerns with not using the blessed stuff?

since i'm sure some rebel here has used other (gasp!) non-approved detergents, what have you used that's worked well?

cheers!
    e
  2. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    my initial guess was along the same lines, but the Savanna suit is listed as being a "breathable" shell, more suitable for use in warmer conditions; i don't think the outer shell is more than a tiny bit water-resistant. there's a separate snap-in Gore-tex liner for more 'interesting' conditions.

i was more concerned with making sure i didn't use something that was going to clog up the suits breathability, or perhaps cause some damage to the reflective material or some bizarre thread BMW might have used...

cheers!
    e

3. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. They seem to be following Harley's practice of slapping their name on anything, like Harley beer and cigarettes. My Aerostitch gets washed in Tide, like everything else in my dirty laundry.
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Tide should only be used on gear intended for riding on KTMs...for obvious reasons...

[​IMG]

For Kawasaki's, use this:

[​IMG]

:lol2

5. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    not that i can find on their website; it's listed as Dynatec®:

"Dynatec®: A fabric made of DynaFil®. It is highly tear-resistant and extremely robust with a melting point of 554º F (290º C)."

"DynaFil®: A highly tear-resistant nylon yarn that is even more robust than Cordura® 500/700. It is engineered for exposure to high temperatures."

cheers!
    e

6. temoore

temoore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nikwax makes a product for washing DWR (durable water repellent) fabrics. They also make a good spray for applying after the wash. This is as per recommendation of Riderwearhouse (Aerostich). Have used their products on several gortex items, and have good results.
    http://www.nikwax-usa.com/
    Sold thru rei as well.
  7. Zollo

Zollo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zouch,

I tried a pH neutral cleaner on my Savanna suit (and Woolite). Those cleaners would not get the grime out especially in the bend at the elbows and on seams. So, now I use Tide and spray the heavily grimed areas with Shout. The suit comes out nice and I don't feel so intimidated by Harley leather and billet at the bar (I look like a Japanese cartoon)!

Zollo
  8. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    It must be a bitch growing up in an Asian country and trying to learn a written language that complicated.
  9. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    just for giggles, i tried calling a few local dealers to see if they carried the Approved Detergent; the 4 closest dealers don't. 2 of them tried to get it to come up by the P/N listed in the care instructions and couldn't get it to come up on their systems.
    one guy at one of them told me that they'd been trying to get it for ~8 years (since they first saw it listed in the manuals) and have been told that it's just too much hassle for BMW to get it into the USA; much the same reason that we have BMW oil here that's made in the USA. (interesting side note: my '02 GS Owners Manual lists Castrol as an approved oil...?)

just for giggles, i tried asking the folks i talked to at the shops for recommendations on cleaning, and got:
    - Woolite in the bathtub and air-dry in the dryer (in spite of the fact that Tumble Drying is specifically Verboten in the manual)
    - Tide, w/ Shout treatment with a toothbrush on the dirty areas
    - diluted Simple Green

after hearing all these different methods without any reported adverse affects, and given the impossibility of getting the Approved elixir, i guess i'm just going to have to take my chances. i hope the leather patches on the knees don't turn into something ugly!

thanks to those who shared their experiences and offered suggestions.

cheers!
    e
  10. PBX

PBX Artful pothole dodger

Oddometer:
    FWIW I've had great results washing my 'stich with powdered detergent. I've been told by both Aerostich and a knowledgeable fellow at North Face that regular laundry detergent is fine for Gore-Tex garments but that you should use powder, not liquid. The liquid detergents have surfacants that make water sheet on the surface of the suit, instead of beading and rolling away like it should. Or so they say.

You'll still want to re-treat the outside of the suit with Scotchgard, or Revivex, or one of the Nikwax products though.
  11. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Not bloody likely given that most BMW "dealers" can't even sell BMW riding gear! Besides, just the fact that it's labeled to be THE "approved" detergent should be reason enough for consumers to seek alternatives.

:1drink
  12. Thaddeus

Thaddeus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seriously, I think I can solve the mystery. When I bought the savanna pants, they came with a booklet describing care for all BMW suits. BMW special detergent is called for only when the suit has leather components (like the kneepads on savanna suit). Yo girl wears leather kneepads!