BMW F650 Funduro ADV Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by donteatmyfood, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Just repaint everything the same color. Then it will all match.
    gmk999 likes this.
  2. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it’s the same as other Beemers, Krylon Dull aluminum + Krylon satin clear would do the trick perfectly. If it was mine, I’d just skip the laquer thou... ;)
    gmk999 likes this.
  3. okennon

okennon Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Lurkio

Lurkio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a 2002 F650CS and I painted the gearbox case cover with hammerite smooth silver spray can. It was quite a good match. It was OK with the heat, but if I did it again I'd use a primer as it started to come off after a coupe of years. Hammerite is meant for steel- not alloy.
    TonyKZ1 and gmk999 like this.
  5. Godoh

Godoh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 96 funduro, I have modified it a bit too. It is a bit post apocalyptic, Not being a fantastic metalworker it looks a bit wild but works great for where I ride. Mostly dirt forest trails and roads. I never did like the original look of the bike but love the simplicity and engine.
    Changes I made are,
    Deleted the fairings, Honda Ascot tank, home made fibreglass seat, Mikuni BST40 carburettor with DS650 bombadier manifold. New metal side covers, made a new battery box from metal plus a toolbox under the seat where the air box was. Unifilter foam filter pod.
    Oh new dash too, home made from aluminium. Oh also I drilled and tapped the countershaft to fit a bolt and nut to hold the countershaft sprocket on as mine only had a dodgy circlip holding the sprocket on.
    Pete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mikehi, Geschift, tobiism and 4 others like this.
  6. donteatmyfood

donteatmyfood The Better Idiot.

Oddometer:
    LOL...I would love to see someone improve the Scarver! XD
    Roadracer_Al likes this.
  7. Hellracer.nl

Hellracer.nl What the hack???

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    I've also got a Funduro (must be the goofiest name ever). Mine is a 94 that I bought for €300 (like $250) a few years ago.
    I've slightly modified it and I use it to ride trails and light offroad and camping trips. Works really well although it could use some upgrades suspension wise.

Good to see some more F650 enthousiasts here, I'm following this thread.

[​IMG]
    TylerWatts and Roadracer_Al like this.
  8. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    When this bike was first launched I went ape and badly wanted one but I just could not afford it I eventually ended up with an 07 F650 Dakar but every time I see these ones I remember my 20 something years dreaming of places I could go with this wee beasty
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  9. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
  10. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Sooooo, how badly do you want it out of your garage? :evil
    I remember lusting all over that bike when I was younger…
  11. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to do something with that bike; it's been in the garage for years, and is a basket case right now. I replaced the head gasket several years ago and, on its maiden voyage, the bike jumped time and bent a valve. The piston and head are fine, but it will need a new valve and head gasket. Everything else is there. The bike is still about 80% together: tank seat, fairing, rear fender, head, rear subframe, etc. are off, but the engine is in the frame, wheels, suspension, etc. are still on. I also installed new rear shock shortly before it grenaded.

Make me an interesting offer....heck, what sort of outdoor man stuff are you willing to barter. You get a project and I get garage space.
    dbarale likes this.