BMW F650GS Twin Riders

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ARDirt, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ARDirt

ARDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are your likes and dislikes about the F650GS Twin?

Thanks!!
  2. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I test rode both bikes. The only complaint I had was the sidestand didn't go down positively like on the 1200. I'm sure it would be easy to get used to though. :1drink
  3. KROWBAR

KROWBAR KROWBAR

Oddometer:

Dislike: The seat.
  4. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    There isn't too much I don't like, but to be critical, the bars are a tad wide for my liking (only 2-3 inches). Eventually, I'll move everything inboard and take a pipe cutter to them. I can't stand the way the sidestand and left peg get in the way of each other when you try to put the stand down. I think that's about it. I really don't mind the seat at all.

-Rob
  5. alonzo

alonzo Misadventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm real happy with mine. Well,,, the seat *is* a bit uncomfortable... but a sheepskin did help. I traded an `08 F800ST on it and really, other than the 'cornering like a cat on shag carpet' feel of the ST, I just love my F650GS. BTW,.. it corners pretty nice, even on TKC80's. I thought about getting the F800GS but, since I never used most of the engine power or the brake power of my ST I figured I didn't need the extra power, extra brakes, extra weight and extra $$$$ of the 800.

Some photos of my GS are here: http://hawkeye.ualr.edu/~ltjones/f650gs/

-- alonzo
  6. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    The seat is horrible. I thought that spending $10K might buy me a decent seat. Corbin to the rescue.......................again!

Other than the seat, the bikes other shortcomings were expected. I didn't expect it to be very capable offroad, and it's not. I didn't expect it to be very quick or powerful, and it's not.

My DR650 is a far better offroad machine, and the DR is an under-achiever compared to other modern offroad bikes in the same class. And my previous '04 SV650 was much quicker, and it was one of the slowest midsized sport bikes in production.

BUT none of that matters to me because I was looking for something unique. I LOVE the F650 twin because I absolutely love the DR650 and the SV650, and it feels like a cross between the two.:clap