BMW F650GS Twin Versus 09 DL650 Wee

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ARDirt, Nov 30, 2008.

1. ARDirt

ARDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I really hate to do this but I have to ask for feedback on the two bikes and comparisons of some real people have ridden both. Have seen the review on video which was about 2 minutes but want real feedback. Was getting ready to pull the trigger on the BMW but had to check out the Wee since so many people are in to them. My riding will be mostky back roads, some twisties, dirt roads, etc. If I want to do serious trail riding will hall my Yamaha 25o to the woods with my Wrangler. Oh, am late 40's and have been rinding woods for ever and want to get back on the road. Don't want to buy a Harley though like all my buddies. I did search for other threads on this as I know there may be some, heck I may have even started one before.

Thanks!
  2. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden the f658 but I've put lots of miles on a dl650. My wife's ridden both, but it was only a 20 minute test ride on the 658. She really liked the way the bike handled and was impressed with the low end torque, but the big difference was the ergos.

We had to lower her wee 1.5" in the rear and 3/4 inches up front. It was also pretty top heavy for her. Se fit much better on the f658 and the under seat tank keeps the weight low.

From her feedback I'd say the biggest difference is how you fit the bike. It's much smaller than the DL. If you're smaller than average the bmw might be the trick, Average it would be a toss up so go ride both, or if your bigger than average the Wee may fit you better.
  3. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man you just opened a can of worms.
    You will get so many biased opinions, but they will probably help you decide what you want to get. The Vstrom people will tell you that Wee is the best bike for the money (which me being biased must agree with), and most of BMW people will tell you how nothing could come even close to the bikes they bought (got to justify well spent money).
    I believe there is only one way for you to accurately decide which bike you want and there will be no mistake. Just go and buy a Wee.
    I am kidding of course. Just see if the BMW dealers in your area will let you ride BMW, and if Suzuki delaers will let you ride the Wee.
    Then you will see what bike fits you the best and what you disslike about the bikes. Good luck and keep us posted.
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I've owned a Wee and now own an F800GS. I liked the Wee, it's a great bike. But it's a nice, warm bowl of tasty oatmeal. The F800, which has basically the same power plant as the 650, is a big plate of huevos rancheros with a steaming mug of Ibarra chocolate, served up by a pretty señorita. :jose

David
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really quite different bikes imho. The BMW is more oriented toward dirt roads and being small/nimble, the wee is much more a tourer with a wider, more comfortable seat, a larger fairing, larger fuel tank etc.

From your described mission you might also want to look at the SV650 and Verseys 650. Both would be more fun than either the BM or Wee on twisty paved stuff and both will handle the occasional dirt road without any problems.
  6. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Heh! Nice.
  7. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the best response anyone could give.

You might be convinced beyond a doubt that one bike is better for you based on others comments. But then you might test ride it and find one particular thing that annoys you. You just can't tell until you ride both.

I would tell you about my F650 but it wouldn't help much. I know what I like but a bike preference is a very personal thing.
  8. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:

Here's the problem with bike comparisons. You get personal opinions which don't help you ultimately in making the right decision.

The weestrom and the F650 are actually quite similar to each other, in general. They are both mid-sized, twin-cylinder adventure bikes.

The seats and fairings can all be replaced with aftermarket ones so it's not a valid argument.

The Wee does have a longer range but do you need it? The F650 has a range of over 200 miles. Keep in mind that the Wee-strom carries that extra fuel weight higher up on the bike than the F650 which has it's tank under the seat. Still, that may not matter to you or anyone else.

Saying that an SV650 or Versys is "more fun" on the street is based on someone elses personal preferences. I've owned an SV650. Personally, I enjoyed my DR650 more than the SV650 on the street, and I prefer my F650 more than the DR.
  9. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The DL is a sport tourer with some dirt road capability. The 650GS is more like a super motard with thinner seat, more off road capability. Do, do you want some thing that feels more like a dirt bike or feels more like a light touring bike?

I don't think one needs to justify the price of a 650GS because they're actually a good value for an 800cc motorcycle. $9K is not abnormal for this size of bike. There are people that need a DL, regardless of cost and people that need the 650GS or 800GS regardless of cost. Neither has much in the way of true competition.
  10. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    I agree the best thing to do is to try them both! before i got my 658 i thout about the wee--hell you could almost buy 2 for the cost of the bmw---BUT --for me there were enough differences to sway me--the wee is simply made much cheaper--everyone complains about rust--bmw lots of higher quility parts--ground clearance--not that i go bashing around but the wee doesent have much--power--bmw wins--i like the feel bmw is not nearly as heavy feeling,much lower cg also feels almost like a sumo on the street--in the end you have to deceide what you want most though!
  11. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The twin F650GS, and the Wee actually make just about the same top end power, but the Beemer has 150cc extra, so naturally its got even more midrange grunt. But the Wee is not bad on midrange or power delivery, either.

I own a K7 Wee, and rode the 650GS a few months ago. It actually feels very, very different, almost like a supermoto compared to the Wee. I´m using full-on street tyre on my Wee, which make the steering feel a lot sharper already, but the Beemer still went to the bends by just thinking you want it to turn!

The 650GS is a very nice bike for 1-up riding, and I felt like it could possibly be a bit more capable on challenging dirt riding, or at least it feels quite a bit smaller than the Wee. Would stick to the easier stuff on both bikes, though, as they are too heavy for any serious off-road.

For 2-up, and any long trips, I would definitely keep the bike I´ve got now. The Suzuki´s got a lot more room, and better wind protection. I havent tried loading the 650GS as totally full as I´ve loaded my Wee many many times (and it bears the load remarkably well, too), but I think the Beemers sharp handling could suffer more.

These bikes have a very different frame construction, and it benefits the DL the more load you´re planning to put on board. This makes it a very good touring machine.

I´ve never had any problems with rusting on the DL. Did have something small with my previous SV, but Suzuki seems to have it under control now.
    The Suzi´s totally bulletproof, too. Remains to be seen, if the new 650GS can match its reliability.

I agree to what has been said here: you´ll need to test ride both, and make up your mind, what is best for your needs & preferences.
  12. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    +1

There was some question whether BMW would be able to maintain their premium pricing structure with a Rotax vertical twin, but they seem to be selling.

BMW's have way more snob appeal, if that's important to you. The V-Strom has none.
  13. Wambo

Wambo On the road to nowhere

Oddometer:
    I'll echo everyone else in saying you need to ride both if you can. That said, I've owned a '04 DL650 and test rode the new 650 twin twice. Stock to stock, the BMW is a little more agile, lighter, has a bit better stock brakes (I don't know if the newer DL650 with ABS feels better, never rode one), has less fork dive, and doesn't feel as top heavy. The DL's stock windscreen is better, more comfy seat, more gas range, a much smoother engine and MUCH better lights. The BMW's engine is smooth enough up to mid range, but vibrates noticeably from mid range up to top end. Maybe If I hadn't owned a Thruxton (modern Triumph vertical twin), I might not be as critical, but it was smooth from bottom end to top-No comparison.

Again, try to ride both to decide for yourself.