1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW F800GS & F650GS Recalls

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SaTaNaX, May 14, 2009.

1. SaTaNaX

SaTaNaX Forero Maniaco Compulsivo Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. jkspecht

jkspecht JKSpecht

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Yikes, thats worse then the fork failures on the 2001-2003 F650GS's.
  3. SaTaNaX

Oddometer:
  4. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the manufacture dates?
  5. SaTaNaX

Oddometer:
    September 2008
  6. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Actually the is the new hub steering F800GS special edition. Very rare. Like a GST1000...

[​IMG]

7. Roonie

Roonie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not just in Spain as I had mine replaced just this last week under the recall.
  8. pervasivelight

pervasivelight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    odd, I went in to my dealer about a month ago asking about this recall and was told they had no info on it, but I did get the radiator hose recall done.
    Is BMW NA is just slow in announcing?
  9. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, they're not. It seems that this problem only affected a short run of bikes in September of 2008. If they entered your VIN into the system and the axle recall didn't come back, then you don't need the repair. It's as simple as that. BMW knows exactly which bikes this problem exists on. It's all computer controlled and logged these days!
  10. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I've got the coolant hose notice and the axle. Just lucky I guess.
  11. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the axle recall in the post today. No big deal, its being sorted, thats all I care about.:clap
  12. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find a thread where we've compiled a list of recalls and/or notices sent out by BMW regarding issues to our F800/650GS models so here goes.

Here's one recall that I know about that's been covered elsewhere in this forum:
    <TABLE class=searchBorder border=0 width="95%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Vehicle Make / Model: </TD><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Model Year(s): </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>BMW / F800 GS </TD><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>2009

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR SIZE=1 noShade><TR><TD class=nav>NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: </TD><TD class=navBlue>09V088000 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav>Summary:</TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2>BMW IS RECALLING 754 MY 2009 F800 GS VEHICLES. THE AXLE SHAFT WALL THICKNESS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED ACCORDING TO SPECIFICATIONS. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav>Consequence:</TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2>IF THE WALL THICKNESS WAS NOT SUFFICIENT, THE AXLE SHAFT COULD DEFORM AND COULD BREAK INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav>Remedy:</TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2>DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FRONT WHEEL QUICK-RELEASE AXLE AND REPLACE IT WITH AN IMPROVED AXLE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav></TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>What others do we know about?
  13. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class=searchBorder border=0 width="95%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Vehicle Make / Model: </TD><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Model Year(s): </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>BMW / F650 GS </TD><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>BMW / F800 GS </TD><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR SIZE=1 noShade><TR><TD class=nav>NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: </TD><TD class=navBlue>08V692000 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav>Summary:</TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2>BMW IS RECALLING 509 MY 2008 F650 GS AND F800 GS MOTORCYCLES. THE TIGHTENING OF THE CHAIN SPROCKET FASTENERS MAY HAVE RESULTED IN VARIOUS LEVELS OF TORQUE BEING APPLIED. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav>Consequence:</TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2>IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE FASTENERS TO WORK LOOSE FROM THE SPROCKET, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav>Remedy:</TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2>DEALERS WILL LOOSEN AND INSPECT THE CHAIN SPROCKET FASTENERS. THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN DAMAGED WILL BE REPLACED. IN ALL CASES, THE FASTENERS WILL BE RETIGHTENED. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=nav></TD><TD class=contentText></TD></TR><TR><TD class=contentText colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  14. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my 2009 F650GS twin, I've had the following work done:

Replaced fuel pump electronics due to stalling (not a recall)
    Replaced bolts on rear sprocket (recall)
    Replaced bolts on front brake disc (recall)
    Replaced coolant hose on water pump outflow (recall)
    Replaced fuel sensor (recall)
  15. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    FYI, I had my bike in at the dealer earlier this week to get the last bits from my initial purchase (hanguard spoilers :puke1) and they told me they ordered a front axle due to the recall.

What was interesting is that when I had it in a few months ago, they said it didn't fall into vin window for the front axle recall. :huh

Not sure if the root cause is a mistake (or incompetence?) at the dealer level, or an or addition (or oversight?) to the number of affected vehicles at a higher level.
  16. Stuntman

Stuntman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Navaho,

Are you taking your bike to Shreveport for your service/warranty work?

17. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    My coolant hose began working its way off while I was at the BMW MOA Rally. It's been in the shop for that and an ABS light error for over a week now. I've had some fuel level issues as well they're supposed to be taking a look at for me as well.

I really miss my F800GS. :cry
    Luckily I've got 3 other bikes I can ride.

The thing is...I haven't seen any formal notices of recalls (or anything else for that matter) regarding the coolant hose or fuel sensor. That's why I started this thread.

Maybe Wildman will add this to the F800GS/F650GS Twin index.
  18. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Already done! :thumb
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I realize that many of the recalls are only applicable to certain range of VINs, but like many others I'm now confused.

I have only received 2 recall notices (front disk attachement bolts & rear sprocket bolts) but wonder if the other "recalls" may impact my bike; it appears I have the early signs of stress cracks in the gas tank....

Other "recalls" I have heard as rumored are:

front ABS wiring/hose routing?
    rad. hose and new casting w/ better nipple?
    Fuel level sensor -- If you're bike was produced before Dec 2008, then you'll get a new Fuel Level Sender at your next service? sensor material "flakes" off and affects fuel delivery and possibly plug an injector or stall?
    Re-route of charcoal canister vent line?
    Front brake hyd. line?
    Stress crack in gas tank?
    Replaced fuel pump electronics/sensor due to stalling or bad calibration

Jim
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
  20. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,
    Missed you at the BMW MOA rally.
    The things you mentioned above are the exact things I'm fishing for with this thread.