1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

BMW F800GS & F650GS Recalls

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SaTaNaX, May 14, 2009.

1. willy1818

willy1818 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Joel. I will get it done at the same time, save me removing and replacing it.

Michael
  2. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder to those who are having the chain recall ... get your rear wheel bearings checked while they are at! As they used to say "The life you save could be your own!" :deal

If there is a premature bearing failure try and get BMW to fix it under warranty and ask for the hub to be checked to see if the machining is within spec. If its not ask for a new hub! :ddog
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I got my new chain, sprockets, and canister vent recalls done today, as well as the valve cover seepage warranty work, along with the 24K mile service. My dealer replaced the chain with a new endless CZ chain, but I forgot to ask him if he replaced the swing arm nut with a new one. My experience with his service over the last 13 years has been exceptional, so I'm not worried about the swing arm falling off.

Edit: Turns out that he did replace it. It's Part No: 33 53 7 709 575

In addition to a new valve cover gasket, he applied some sort of "very expensive" Ducati goop that he's used with success on some of the Ducatis that he also services. I'll be putting about 2,000 hard miles on the bike in the next week, so we'll see whether that stuff does the trick.

Other than the fact that BMW doesn't give their techs enough time to do the chain/sprocket recall (50 mins.), all seems to be fine so far.

David
  4. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Mine been in for a WEEK for the 6K service and vent hose recall. Just went by to see WTF and they tell me Im in the chain/sprocket group also. Get the frickin thing done and I'll be back at 12K for the chain and sproket summers to short here!
  5. mcdirtnap

mcdirtnap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All these recalls are making me scared of my recent purchase. I got a 2010 f800gs 30th anniversary edition a few days ago and I've had a strong 300 miles so far, they ran my vin and nothing yet...? It seems all the recalls were from previous year bikes. Is anyone aware of some "slip" that would not make my bike not come up in the recall list?
  6. Roonie

Roonie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New bikes have everything done before they leave the factory so they are up to date on all recalls.
  7. CycleRider

CycleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And besides, even with the few issues (yes, I've had the fuel failure), this is a bike that I have enjoyed more than probably any other bike I have owned over the last 40 (cough, cough) years. If it wasn't for a place like this great group, we probably would be blissfully unaware of at least half of these problems. My Dealer has never failed to take care of any issue within a timely manner.

Tom...
  8. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    Me neither. Darn.

lg
  9. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Likewise (on both the years AND the bike). I like my R1150RT for LD touring, but the 800 just puts a big grin on my face every time I ride it.
  10. mcdirtnap

mcdirtnap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea well see about my dealership, I read the forums on here talking about the 600 mile (oil) service, they quoted me 300 (hollywood bmw), then i called ventura bmw 210, and the winner san diego bmw of $154. I was awaiting my center stand to arrive and figured Id just ride the bike a fair share and get it done at the same time. I wouldn't expect having to arm wrestle the dealership I purchased the bike from days later just to get a semi-fair price on the first friggin service, they eventually agreed for 150. If you or anyone else has a recommended dealership, to avoid me having to call 3 places to get a decent price, feel free to share, I live in ventura but am relocating to san diego for work next week, so I dont really care how far in california id drive. My usual trusty mechanic is busy these days (racinteach).
  11. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called the Tigard, OR shop about my valve cover... I had it worked on in ANK last week and now it is leaking worse then ever...

Anyways... the guy there said that they had seen some seeping but that there is no official fix for it yet. Anyone on this thread manage to get their leak fixed and not have it still weep? If so what did they do to it?

They punched in the VIN to see if there was any pending work and my bike is in the range for the chain recall (which I already replaced in May before my AK trip).
  12. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Went in to MotoInternational today and the chain and sprockets are on backorder from Germany. Also have the fuel level sender to do.
  13. hyak107

hyak107 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Push Bars, mine leaked and I had it fixed maybe a month and a half ago by the dealer, no issues since. It looks like they replaced the gasket and used RTV as an added measure.
  14. push_bars

Oddometer:
    Well it is in the shop now... they did a new gasket and RTV in Anchorage... it was seeping in 100 miles or so and down to just above the min line on the stick when I made it here to Portland Tigard.

The wrench seems like a thoughtful and good guy even if he did manage to break off one of the huge stainless bolts on my crash bars. Getting that bastard out of the engine is going to take some serious effort but I will mess with it when I get home.

Bigger issue though is that my water pump is weeping so I am stuck here in Portland with no bike until tomorrow while they overnight parts in. There is no demo fleet here either due to the Rally in Redmond so no loaners are available either.

Understandably bummed out a little bit but overall these are pretty minor things I think and the F800GS has been solid for the last 8,000 miles of my trip including up to Inuvik... Hell the rides of the last couple days (Sea to Sky, Mount Baker, Oregon coast and 229 :evil ) have been worth all the trouble alone...
  15. Tinks

Tinks Demented Snow White

Oddometer:
    Here are a few suggestions on good ways to remove that bolt.

http://www.madelectrical.com/workshop/broken-bolts.shtml
  16. push_bars

Oddometer:
    Excellent stuff... going to have to look into those left hand drill bits...
  17. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chain and sprockets recall done. The new CZ chain that they put on is silver, and a bit beefier. The link plates seem thicker. Anyway, I had ran the stock black CZ chain for 6,500 miles with no issues, but this new chain has made the bike smoother.:thumb
  18. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    what is everyone experiencing for chain life anyway?
  19. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    19,000+ km on mine so far. I'll never know how long it'd last since I'll be getting it replaced under the recall when I get my 20K service done, which I'm putting off until just before I head for Trans-Labrador next month. No visible signs of wear on either the chain or the sprockets.
  20. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    Just got the bike back from the recall work yesterday. I'm really impressed with my dealer. They replaced the chain with my own RK XSO, installed my Supersprox Stealth 47T chainring and my previous 16t sprocket (with minimal wear since I've been running the 15 for about 15,000km) and to top it all off I got the new CZ chain in a box along with the chainring bolts and the new chainring and countersprocket. Awesome.

I was really surprised how much smoother the bike was with the new chain. Oh, and the 16:47 is terrific, just a little more seat-of-the-pants torque than the 15:42 I was running before.