1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

BMW F800GS & F650GS Recalls

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SaTaNaX, May 14, 2009.

1. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally convinced our local BMW dealer that my F650gsT had to be checked for the chain recall. They kept claiming that they never heard of the recall (can you believe that!) I sent them all the scanned recall letters I could find that other inmates had scanned and posted, and it still took 3 months for them to finally admit a recall had taken place. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    So 15,800km later they are finally changing my chain. On the plus side the chain actually looks perfect, so maybe they finally agreed to get me off their back :D <o:p></o:p>
  2. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What country are you in?

Had you gotten a recall notice yet?
  3. yellow zebra

yellow zebra Flying Brick

Oddometer:
    which country is he in?

The country next door to you! :rofl

4. encik pat

encik pat n00b

Oddometer:
  5. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Washer, what washer?

Sounds like the ABS ring is going to be the variable as to which bikes are affected.

I will hazard to guess this is going to be a "remove the bolts and replace with bolts that have pre applied thread locker" recall.

I doubt this recall will start for months, but at least it will be easy to spot if any of the disc bolts are backing out.

I will add it to the list of things to check, others should as well.
  6. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
  7. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in Mexico, the dealer is in Cancun, and I "forced them" to recall it. They claimed there was no recall whatsoever for over 2 months. When I showed up at BMW looking for a new GSA the dealer finally said "Oh, by the way there is a recall on the chain/sprockets..." So I brought the bike in last week and did get the new chain.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  8. encik pat

encik pat n00b

Oddometer:
    there is no washer at all , of all the 6 bolts
    5 of them was loosen when i try to tighten them
  9. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    For logistical reasons, recalls are staged and conducted country by country over time.

Dont feel left out. The chain recall was being cunducted in Canada for over two months before dealers in the USA received notice it was about to start here.

Mexico was later on the schedule, that's probably all.
  10. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry, I was refering to the text of the recall notice at NHTSA, who is our recall governing body in the USA.

It stated that due to unfavorable conditions between a washer and bolt, some disk bolts may loosen.

There are no washers on any F650GS discs that I recall, so I'm guessing they are calling the abs encoder a "washer".

Just talking to myself mostly :)
  11. encik pat

encik pat n00b

Oddometer:
    haha ... btw , i'm from singapore ... just did a 1300km trip
    and this is what happen ... wonder what are they going to do
    install a washer maybe ....
  12. AMERUS

AMERUS Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the chain recall

I checked with my dealer in the UK and mine needs it done
    good timing as well as I am in brazil touring around after a year in Africa and the chain is knackered

The only original bit of it is the rear sprocket but I neglected to mention that, not really surprising as itÂ’s done 38,000 miles

they ran the chassis number and said it didn't need to be done (Rio dealer) but I emailed my UK dealer and they said yes, so Salvador dealer hooked it up to bmw's computer and it does, getting it done on Friday, 4 days wait for the parts

On a side note
    My advice for anyone wishing to ship their bike to brazil is don't do it there is more paperwork involved than anyone would want to do or needs too:baldy
  13. encik pat

encik pat n00b

Oddometer:
    talking to yourself again ... hahahaha

when to the agent .... they said ... your bike not on the recall list

but we will tighten it for you .... no washer i guess .....
  14. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found out where the washer is on the bikes that do need this recall.

It is between the disk and the hub, not between the bolt head an encoder or disk.

Were just getting parts and official instructions in for this, so were just learning what is involved.

Many happy miles all.
  15. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    My F800GS has had problems with the top radiator hose coming loose and leaking most of the time I've had it. It has had the recall for the new hose, but that didn't really improve things. It now has a jubilee clamp and is alright most of the time, but even it comes loose sometimes.

My dealer now tells me there is a new water pump cover available as warranty for those who haven' t had the problem fixed with the new hose.

Naturally BMW Australia don't actually have any (they are on back order) but one has been ordered for me so one day this problem may finally be put to rest. :clap
    Another bit of interesting warranty news is that new parts exist to fix the cam cover leak ... I am getting this done just before christmas ... I'll let you know whether it actually works.

To be fair to the bike the more I ride it, get used to it, and change it to suit me the more I like it. My Dealer ... Brisons Newcastle have been pretty good too so ownership hasn't been much of a trial.
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Interesting ... I had not heard that ... MAX BMW here in the USA where I look up parts does not show the part as being superceded yet.... keep us posted!... I have a jubilee clamp on mine as well but still have to check it from time to time
  17. BMW

BMW n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all.....new to room but happy to be here . I took delivery of my new BMW G650GS last week. Having a ball on it until today.

:huh

While sitting on my bike on my flat driveway, I closed the roller door then depressed the clutch lever to engage 1st gear. While I was doing this i felt a "click", looked down and found my clutch lever in my left hand. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before?
    Took it into the dealer and they will get back to me tomorrow. A most un nerving experience. I had to lower the bike onto the driveway........my right had ended up taking all the weight as my left leg was on the way to the gear lever. My left leg was bent and coudn't take all the weight (although the bike is relatively light).

:kboom
    Other than that, I am loving my GS650......goes great on the Great Ocean Road ( Victoria Australia ).

Anyway I hope you all ride safe and have fun out there

BMW
  18. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1 what the hell? havent heard that one... is it the twin model? :ear

welcome to the asylum btw :evil
  19. BMW

BMW n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey motorfiets,

No it is the the 2010 single cylender. I pick the bike up today.....
    :deal WARRANTY WARRANTY WARRANTY People!! LOL

Ride safe and have fun!
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess anything can happen....even on a brand new bike..... Just FYI.... You might want to ask this in the thumper section...... This is the twin area... Perhaps if you ask the same question you might find a few with same problem..... I`m sure the dealer will sort it for you....and you will have many great years ahead.....:thumb:thumb

Erling