1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bmw F800gs Q&A

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RTW Motorcycling, Aug 24, 2008.

1. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Service manual says 20Nm for the bottom, at least on the section on replacing the fork tubes. :dunno
  2. nrg

nrg n00b

Oddometer:
    I plan to switch from a big bore single KLX650 to the GS 800 and was wondering if anyone has experience of riding long distance with a pillion (please read: wife, girlfriend, female companion) on the Beamer .

I think those who have made a similar change know exactly what I mean with my enquiry.
    What were the comments from our larger bottomed members of the opposite sex ?

Is the bike a maker or a breaker for comfort ?

Cheers!
  3. Lindeberg

Lindeberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got an offer for some R1200GS Vario cases. As I have understand they are exactly the same as the all black för 800GS, but those (1200:s) are both silver and black. Right?

Will it look bad on the 800, or what do you think?
  4. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Will look good till the first tip over...

5. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a big bore KLX and an 800 gs. This won't answer your question directly as the only big bottom that gets on either bike is mine.:evil The 800 is a big or at least long bike that will accomodate a passenger easily. The motor has plently of torque to carry both of you effortlessly. Plan on a seat change, the non skid surface and ski ramp position gives me monkey butt just thinking about it. There are some vibes at freeway speeds, but nothing like a wound out thumper.
  6. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not the point of this thread, but, no, they are shaped differently, because the exhaust cutout is way different, and the mounting systems are way different. They will definitely NOT mount right up, but might be made to work.
  7. Lindeberg

Lindeberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the torx size on the screws right behing the saddle? I am going to mount a Touratech luggage holder there tomorrow.
  8. warski

warski GRUMPY

Oddometer:
    T45
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone figured if it's possible for the user to change the display on the LCD from Metric to Imperial and back without asking the dealer to do it?

I'm going to see if my dealer can switch my clock to 24hour format. He was able to do so on my 1200gs.
  10. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Don't see anything in the service manual, GB. :dunno
  11. X-Rated

X-Rated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get a tip on changing the clock to 24 hour format, I'd love to know also!!

Al
  12. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could have sworn that clock set-up was in the User's Manual. Mebbe not. I'll have a look when I get home tonight GB.

Rob in Seattle
  13. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Found a PDF of the manual on the web which is nice since it is searchable.

Clock
    Setting clock
    Attempting to set the clock
    while riding the motorcycle
    can lead to accidents.
    Set the clock only when the motorcycle
    is stationary.
    Switch on the ignition.
    Press and hold down button 1.
    Hours reading 2 flashes.
    Press button 1.
    The hours reading increments
    by one each time you press
    the button.
    Press and hold down button 1.
    Minutes reading 3 flashes.
    Press button 1.
    The minutes reading increments
    by one each time you
    press the button.
    Either press and hold down
    button 1 or wait without pressing
    any button.
    The clock is now set and the
    time appears on the display..
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it can't be switched to the 24 hr format by the user, it has to be done by the dealer through the GT1 computer. I had my 1200gs switched by the dealer, when I take the bike in for its first service, I will ask them.
  15. nrg

nrg n00b

Oddometer:
    Itsatdm thanks! and as we're both KLX owners or have been can I ask you how you feel about the GS800. Can you take the bike where the KLX would go or are those extra kg keeping you more to the beaten track. Are you happy with your switch?.....I'm pretty much set now anyway...it's gonna be a gs and not the KTM 690....next month :1drink
  16. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kept my KLX 680 and still enjoy riding it. Wether the 800 is an improvement depends where you ride it and how good a rider you are. I am an old and average skill dirt rider and limit myself mostly to dirt roads or at least used to be dirt roads. So in my case yes it will go where I normally ride.
    What struck me first when riding the 800 is how the ergonomics and geometry of the bike felt so much like the KLX. It carries its eXtra poundage very well, though you better keep in mind it is a hundred pounds heavier. The motor is a gem, but can get a little vibey at highway speeds. I never owned anything with more than 2 cylinders so it doesn't bother me.
    My suspension issues and MY fix are here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398729
    The throttle issue I experienced may not be an issue on later models and I am about ready to post some comments on that.
    I took a carving knife to my seat and made it flatter, lower, with less of an angle.
    For a while I was second guessing myself on the purchase over the obove issues, but now a happy camper.
  17. Lucky:)

Lucky:) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test drove F800GS and F650GS on a demo day.
    What a big difference in those 14hp!!!

Bike F800GS was more smooth, more aggressive.

On the day I decided to buy one - I test drove both again.

I was disappointed.

F800GS felt heavy, no real difference in power and much more loud than F600GS.

Can anybody comment from their experience?
    Are F800GS so different from one unit to another?

Also I would like to ask about clutch lever adjustment.
    Is the something more than a small bolt under lever?
    I adjusted the bolt all the way counterclockwise but the engage was still at the end.
  18. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    I think that goes under the "they all do that" department. Every bike I've owned has a different clutch, and this one just happens to engage in the last few inches of lever travel.
  19. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    I agree with Slappy...but there may be one other point of view:

Clutch engagement near the end of the clutch lever travel may be more suited for off-road riding. That way, you can clutch with two fingers while the remaining two fingers are still wrapped around the grip.

Just a thought.
  20. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not unique to the GS, my wifes F800ST clutch is exactly the same way. Just the nature of the 800s.

It does make switching between my GS and my R1100RS a bit tricky since it's clutch grabs right at the slightest release of the lever. But at least I have the same signal controls now unlike my F650GS thumper. :lol3