1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bmw F800gs Q&A

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RTW Motorcycling, Aug 24, 2008.

1. narcosis

narcosis GS800

Oddometer:
    Thanks RTW - your answers and ride descriptions are very usefull... kudos
    Just got my order in today...:clap (Upgrading from Dakar 650 03)
    Need to give the dealership my color of choice by Monday...

I have my fav already (they both look great but the yellow has a killer look) and was wondering how does the numbers split... more Black/Grey or Black/Yello?
  2. Lindeberg

Lindeberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Touratech luggage holder, and maybe I´m buying the BMW original Vario Top box. Can it be fastened on the TT luggage holder?
  3. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I very much doubt it; It requires special anchor points and a locking plate. The BMW plate is excellent as a rear rack when the top box isn't in use.
  4. Lucky:)

Lucky:) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. narcosis

narcosis GS800

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I'm picking my new bike next week and was wondering if it's worth asking the dealer to change the original tyres the bike comes with...

I'm doing some off road on weekends, unsealed roads and fire trails...

Would it be better to switch only the rear tyre to something with bit more traction then the one it's originaly comes with (can't remember which ones are they, but they look more sporty then offroady...)

6. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

I think most are coming with Battlewings- great on pavement and ok for what you say you will ride, unsealed and fire roads.
    Anything rougher or muddy you would probably want to go with a TKC80 knobby tire.
    Others may have a different opinion.
  7. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found that the battlewings really skated around on gravel roads. Much better with the TKCs.
  8. Nostro

Nostro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi RTW,

I'll just add to the long list of people thanking you for this thread. I came back last October from a 5-month ride from France to Central Asia, on an old bike I bought for the occasion, a 1989 KLR. It was my first bike, my first bike trip, and before I bought it I roamed through the interwebz to find good information and it is indeed hard to find. As you said, the KLR while not the best bike in the world can take an insane lot of punishment for a design that old.

Currently, I was looking around for what I could potentially buy for my next trip (late 2010 maybe?) and was hesitating between an Africa Twin, a Super Tenere or a F650GS. The newer design of the F650 almost sold me on it, because you never know what second hand quality you find. I was lucky with my KLR but it could be the opposite the next time. I can only wonder why Honda and Yam leave the market so open for BMW to storm in, especially when they had made such reference bikes in the past.

Your information is exactly what I needed. I am no riding expert, would usually ride on dirt roads, not so much off-road but a dirt road in bad condition/broken concrete/10 inches of gravel/light sand/mud can be really tricky and I thanked myself countless times for having chosen such a lightweight bike as the KLR. It was a bit lacking on normal roads, I found that 100/110 km/h was the most I could do when wanting to keep the same 4/5 km per litre mileage. An occasional 140 takeover would do the trick but the front wheel became wobbly and the wind really tiring.

So yeah, a mix of dirt roads and highways + not so experienced biker is spot on the advice you provided. Now I can only start to scrap up money, but I think this thread has sold me on the F800 GS. Kind of following your footsteps, coming from a KLR too ;)

Quick note about your rant on the biker community spirit. People in France remain helpful and I attribute that to the smaller size of the market there, still you see the seeds of what you described in the US: people on Harleys, people on 1000+ engines, or people in Paris tend to get the sub-group mindset and not as easily wave at each other or stop on the side of the road. Anywhere else people were great, I have the same stories as you. Anybody on the tiniest bike will feel connected to you and will want to provide whatever they can. I had a Russian guy waiting with me at the Russia/Kazakhstan border get out of his large BMW car, come to me and say "I'm somehow a rider to, I have a 125 bike, but I have real biker friend that has a garage and can help you, I'll call him." He then proceeded to help me through the border (3 hours), take me to his place, offer me dinner, beer, a couch, then the next day bringing me to his friend who helped service my bike on and off during one day (tighten things, change the tires, repair the speedometer, weld a broken brake handle, and so on), invited me to dinner with his biker friends, took me to sleep at his place, and put me on the right road the next morning. And for that, nobody ever agreed to recieve a single penny, even when everybody was pitching in for beer money.
  9. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :D I can get a lot more miles out of a front TKC 80 then the rear. I prefer the TKC on the front be cause I hate it when the front washes out. The regular tire on the back allows power turns and keeps me a little slower.
  10. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    That is a great first post. Welcome aboard. One of the great things about bikes is that we all eventually end up with versions of this story.:1drink

11. Lindeberg

Lindeberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning for buying some hand guards for my 800GS, but all my Torx are to small. What are the size of the Torx screws on the handlebar ends?
  12. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    T55
  13. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I was able to fit an english-sized allen wrench into it and remove it when I installed my barkbusters. So if you're looking to replace the bar ends I think that's the only bolt of that size? (i.e. skip it for the tool kit)
  14. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    i'm a rookie at riding so could be wrong...but isn't there an adjustment somewhere down the clutch cable, normally at one end? you can tighten it or loosen it and adjust it to feel (not always easy though) or doesn't it exist on the 800?
  15. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I used an allen key as well and it worked fine.

16. Lindeberg

Lindeberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a cheap T55 on ebay. Thanks.
  17. Lucky:)

Oddometer:
    I think we are talking about this:

Attached Files:

18. Lucky:)

Oddometer:
    Is the chain the same for F800GS and F650GS?
  19. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's the one. You can gain a significant amount of slack by adjusting the nuts. I'm much happier now that my clutch friction zone is in mid-travel versus the stock set-up. Much easier to work the clutch with two fingers.
  20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

My wife is concerned about a warning light (engine symbol) that comes on at start up, but goes out a few seconds later. She thinks that it never used to do that before. The bike is an F650GS twin.

Do they all do that?