BMW F850GS rear wheel installation

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JustBob, Sep 17, 2019.

1. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK...this is not the first time I've removed the rear wheel from a bike that needs a new tire. Been doing it since 1969. So my new F850GS needs a new tire at 1900 miles and so I took it off, put a new TKC70 on the wheel and now am trying to put it back on. The wheel gets to a certain point and WILL NOT go far enough to slide the axle through. I have all the spacers and brake parts and I'm holding my mouth just right....all to no avail.
    Anyone got any ideas? I suspect it's something peculiar to the new F850GS; I just haven't figured it out yet.

(mods...this is cross-posted to the Gear/Garage Wrenching section. Hope it's OK....I need to get this thing back on.)
  2. nonchuck

nonchuck n00b

Oddometer:
    I find it easier to go in high and drop it in position instead of trying to go in from the rear.
  3. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember puzzling it out getting the wheel off initially and that puzzle wound up serving me well for putting it back on. I believe the difficulty was the way the rotor gets held in to the swingarm and the axle. I remember (vaguely) it required me to cock the wheel pretty funny when getting all the 'bits' to align. Then it was normal from there. Sorry I can't be more specific - it's been 4 months or so since I did it and only the once.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    The caliper is difficult to slide on the swingarm lug especially if you have it cocked. Fine a board or several boards that are the correct height to hold the wheel off the ground while you wiggle everything into place. Trying to align everything while holding the wheel straight is tough for one person.
  5. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Figured it out and got it on. It was the brake caliper carrier that was cocked and would not let the wheel go forward.
    Thanks, guys.
    SnoDrtRider and bobwolff68 like this.