BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Jeepster360

Jeepster360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May I ask why getting out of the 310 so soon? I do like the nine it's.

John
    Captain Lew likes this.
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Just passed 600 miles today. I'm thinking I'll keep mine.

G310GS2.jpg

Got lucky with the weather two Sundays in a row!
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Published on Mar 11, 2018Rally Raid Products BMW G 30 GS - this video takes you through bike build, the thinking behind the modifications and a shakedown ride to see what the bike can handle. The two bikes shown on this video are pre-production and currently the only completely fitted out Rally Raid Products bikes in the world.

4. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    So I take it nobody's tried fitting a lithium battery then?
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They all went out riding...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  7. stevetheb

stevetheb mashed potatoes

Oddometer:
    20180309_110110.jpg 20180309_174521.jpg 20180309_110149_HDR.jpg 20180309_124645.jpg

Well, it was a full day Friday. I took it to the valley to have the first service done. 150 or so there, 130 back. It was fairly windy (maybe gusting up past 30 knots), and it was a little limited riding against it. I actually felt the throttle pegged at 83, 3500' up or so, so I backed it down to save it until the first service was complete. It was an awesome ride over. There were some cinder bits still on the road from snow, but the roads were mostly just wet, and we ate it up. As we started dropping down to the lower elevations, it was surreal blasting through the rising mist off of the road, through giant pine trees.

I was having some issues with high idle previously, but of course we got to the dealer with no further display or replication of issues. The best part was giving it full throttle on the way home. That little machine will rip. I still only got up to about 83 in 6th on the way back over, but honestly that's about as fast as I need to go. I could have dropped it down into 5th probably to pick up a little more speed before shifting back up into 6th.

The engine has smoothed out quite a bit. The mirrors are still fuzzy at speed, but the vibes aren't too bad. I averaged about 52 mpg against the wind, then turned to go mostly with it, and averaged 72 for the tank, across the Cascades.

I also saw a pristine older twin spark F650GS with only 1900 miles on the odometer. I'm happy with the switch though. All smiles on the way back, 280 miles total, and not too bad on the butt. The sunset behind the Sisters was a cherry on top, and I hit my favorite viewing point right as the sun lit up a low cap cloud on North Sister. We're going to have a good life together.
  8. dfinn

dfinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super interesting, thanks for posting! Anyone know which GPS mount that is and any chance it would work with an iPhone? I’d really like something low profile like that mounted right to the bar clamp.

Also, what did he mention about checking nylocks? Had a hard time understanding what he said there.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GPS mount is a Garmin Montana Rugged Mount, fitted to the RR billet fat bar riser, or an OEM billet top clamp.
    The 2 bolts that secure the front cockpit to the headstock came loose on both bikes during testing before the rally, so the ordinary nuts were replaced with nylocs, and most other bolts were loctited
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We can generally break stuff south of the equator :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    pgod1960 likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about mirrors? thnx
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Cyclo' - The mirrors on Adam's bike are the Double Take Adventure style, that use the longer RAM arms. It's worth noting that BMW use a left hand thread on the right hand mirror mount, so John has machined an adaptor for that side so you can use a conventional M10 thread like the majority of after-market mirrors (including the RAM balls).

Jx
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi dfinn - following on from what John says above, the billet top bar-clamp is machined with the AMPS bolt pattern, so you can also use a RAM ball (either the square or the diamond, both fit) to mount and arm and whichever cradle you need to hold a particular device - and RAM make a series of dedicated cradles for iPhones and similar smart-phones too, as well as their universal gripper X-mount.

note. depending on where the bolt holes in the specific RAM iPhone cradle are located (and there are usually two diagonally, in the diamond base pattern) they too will line up with the AMPS pattern holes, so you could feasibly mount the cradle directly to the bar clamp if you wish - although I'd suggest using their short arm, to allow you to angle the screen to help avoid reflections in sunlight etc.

[​IMG]
    photo. RAM ball mounted on my CB500X top bar-clamp, which is a similar shape to the GS version.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
    Ginger Beard, dfinn and uuc328 like this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! The DBTs I have seen were all round. Are those convex or flat?
  15. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Mitch, when do you expect to have the adjustable levers available?
  16. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. uuc328

uuc328 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me start by saying the 310GS is a fantastic bike and an excellent platform. I loved all 550 miles of it! My original plan has always been to keep it for a year then sell it private party and make the switch to the nine t. While at the dealer picking up my oil change kit for the 310 I decided to beat deprecation to the punch and just trade now and skip the BS. Only lost $200, figured it would be more in a year's time especially since I wouldn't be able to resist the mod bug. My biggest concerns were longer highway speed trips, two up riding and the money I was going to spend over time to get it the way I wanted knowing my one year plan. Just didn't think it was up for the task. They are two different machines each with their own excellent attributes.
    Jeepster360 likes this.
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Nice pix, Steve! Did you ever get the chance to go to Giant Loop and check out their tank bags on your bike?
  19. mtnadvpnw

mtnadvpnw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you elaborate on where these 2 nuts need to be placed? I assume you mean the instrument cluster to the main support of the bike? I plan to do a bit of off road riding and would like to apply this fix. Thanks
  20. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make panniers for the g310gs yet. This is the one thing that would hold me bag from using it as a lightweight adv tourer. A tank bag and luggage rack just doesn’t give me enough storage for extended travel.