BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Why not just use soft bags? Especially if you're taking the bike off road.

If you absolutely have to have hard cases, Holand and Hepco Becker both make racks that are compatible with an assortment of hard cases.
    randypower likes this.
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hepco Becker makes what they call a C-Bow mount with hard cases (albeit small - 22 liters) that lock onto the mounts.
  3. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there soft bag racks that are made to fit the 310gs? I know BMw isn’t offering any.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Mtnadvpnw - its the two M8 bolts that hold the 'front panel carrier' (ie. the plastic 'tower' that holds the speed and headlight) to the frame of the bike, on the steering tube. The OEM plain nuts sit captive in a recess in the plastic assembly, and ought to be replaced with nyloc nuts so the bolts don't back out due to vibration.

for info. It's a similar situation with the Honda CB500X - the fairing/headlight support is held on to the frame with a pair of M8 bolts and acorn nuts, and we replace those nuts with nylocs too.

Jx
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Watch the video Cyclopathic posted on the previous page, and you'll see some on the bike Amy is riding...

Alternatively, you can always fit a horseshoe shape rack-less soft bag like the Giant Loop Great Basin or Coyote straight onto the bike, as Adam has done.

Jx
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  6. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Hepco Becker makes some, and I think SW Motech do as well. You can also use a rackless bag. My wife runs an Altrider Hemisphere which is a 40L rackless setup similar to the Giant Loop Coyote.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  7. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    The other option I’d like to see on the g310gs is cruise control. I know it’s a small bike but once you have it for interstate travel it’s hard to live without.
  8. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would be interesting, I've certainly never used it before. Does CC work with standard (not ride by wire) throttle?

As for luggage, sveral have been mentioned already but Shad also has mounts and bags/cases available now. Well, they're on the website. Available for purchase I don't know.
  9. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    their have been aftermarket systems developed for older bikes - id like to see it integrated and available on the bike from the factory.

As to luggage that giant loop looks like it might meet my needs.
  10. dfinn

dfinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the price and functionality of soft bags but for those of you who use something like that and then leave the bike for the day, so to go for a hike or something, where/how do you lock your helmet up? It seems like this is where a nice, lockable top box would be pretty invaluable. I'd hate to come back from an outing and find out that my helmet is gone.
  11. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    A cable lock through the helmet chin bar and around a frame section or wheel works.
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  12. dfinn

dfinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, often times things are way simpler than I make them out to be. :) as long as it doesn't rain
  13. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    You can get waterproof soft luggage.
  14. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    You could get a cruise control kit from MCCruise, or something like an Atlas throttle lock
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I was going to install a Kaoko throttle lock on my 310, but after riding it for a couple of weeks now I've decided against it. The throttle spring is so light that I don't have to grip the throttle very hard at all — just resting my open hand on it seems to keep it from rotating back. And I find the engine doesn't hold the bike at a steady speed if there's even the slightest incline or descent. So a throttle lock would be more hassle than it's worth. You'd have to be constantly adjusting it.

Plus, I plan on avoiding the Interstate whenever possible.

A true "cruise control" isn't going to be offered, of course. It's a physical cable, not ride-by-wire.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  16. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    Yes perhaps if I downsized I’d be avoiding interstates much more, I don’t mind not having it on my old Dyna be cause I usually only use that for shorter rides , but the lack of cruise control on my older fjr has me choosing my Road king over it more often for touring.
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I’ve gone with a double-ended duffel and a couple of Enduristan Blizzard panniers like this. No racks necessary and plenty of storage for an extended ride if you pack light. And +1 on a cable lock for your helmet.
    pgod1960 and ZiggyInNc like this.
  18. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like a throttle lock anyway just to rest the right hand, or so I can use it to adjust stuff or open vents or whatever. Same as CC though, I've never used one so I assume it would be handy. I know I've wanted one for at least a few minutes here and there on my R3.
    I have a wild hair that I want to go out on a trip or 3 on a motorcycle. Something like heading out of northeast WI and heading down to AL to visit Barber for a race, or SC to visit my folks, etc. The sort of trip where at least one way (there or back) needs to make good time. I'm hoping this little guy can do that, because I'm sure it will do anything I need in state, and lets face it, even if I have to run the highway to get there it's no more than a couple hours. I've done that on my R3 fine, and while it has more ponies than the GS, it's not exactly melting face with it's power.
  19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    The GS won't rip your arms off either. But it cruises along just fine at highway speeds, and you get a noticeable kick between ~6000–7500 rpm. So even going up a steep grade at 70 mph is no sweat.
  20. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds just fine to me then, thanks!