BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
  2. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my new bike out for a short ride today. It was super windy, 30 mph gusts. I found myself getting blown around a good bit, particularly when I was out in the open beside the lake. The lake was white-capping! Surf's up! Having come from a very heavy cruiser, I was a bit timid getting blown around so much on this light bike. I guess with time and experience I will adapt. Of course we don't typically have such gusty days so I suppose that I should be glad about that.
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I picked up the bike after its initial service today, and while it was in the shop I had my mechanic install the Eastern Beaver 3CS-S wiring harness. This allows me to run heated grips and my GPS on a couple of switched circuits, and leaves one unswitched circuit for my heated vest and a battery tender.

After considering the Oxford grips, I decided to have him install the Koso Apollo grips instead, mainly because the Koso grips have an integrated, 5-position switch in the left grip instead of the Oxford's separate switch dongle that has to be mounted and wired up somewhere. The switch has an LED that lights up blue-green-yellow-orange-red as you raise the heat level, and switches itself off if the battery falls below 11.5V for more than 5 secs.

IMG_0107.jpg

The grips also have a little wider diameter than the stock grips, which I like. But according to the mechanic, they were a real bitch to install.

After I picked up the bike from the shop I took an hourlong ride in 30°F temps with the grips on the highest setting and my Aerostich Kanetsu vest on as well. It draws 45 watts/3.3 amps, and after running them together for an hour, I came home and let the bike cool for a couple of hours. After which it started right up. So, as my dealer predicted, the bike's alternator seems to handle the combined load of the grips, vest, and GPS just fine.

IMG_0108.jpg

Next: some hand guards and a bigger screen. But it's coming together nicely, I think.
  4. Jeepster360

Jeepster360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those grips looks nice with the integrated switch. What do you mean by bigger screen? Also what it the yellow thing mounted to the right side?

John

How did the grips work temp wise on the way home? Edit.
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Windscreen. Right now I'm looking at the PowerBronze screen that Rally Raid will be selling soon.
    It's a SPOT satellite tracker. I've got it set to send a ping up to some satellites every ten minutes, and it lets my wife know where the hell I am. I ride by myself 99% of the time, often in some fairly isolated places out in eastern Oregon, northern Nevada, etc. And should something go south, I can hit the SOS button and call in the local Search and Rescue folks. And even if I'm injured or unconscious, my wife can alert them when I don't come home or check in, and they'll know that I am somewhere within a 10-minute ride of my last ping. Cheap insurance.
    On full they're too hot. But I figure I can turn them on to red initially, and dial it back to one of the other four settings after my hands are toasty.
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the integrated switch. Did your mech give any details as to why they were hard to install?

Enquiring minds, and all that.
    randypower likes this.
  7. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    After many years of being a happy Spot customer, they just priced themselves out of my market. I use the Bubbler app for tracking and carry a genuine EPRB for those "Oh Shit!" situations.
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Extremely tight fit. He had to grind off some of the powder coating on the bars. And he still needed another set of hands to muscle them on. But he told me they sure ain't gonna slip. :lol2
    Yeah, I cancelled my service too last fall. But then they came back to me with a $50/yr. offer, which I leapt at.
    stevetheb and randypower like this.
  9. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    Hi. I finally got my battery tender installed and charging. I also pulled the rubber off the foot pegs. My first mods lol.

I have a question... Will I be jeopardizing my warranty by doing my own first service, or any other scheduled service work in the future? It would be done by a journeyman motorcycle mechanic who runs a small shop. I live 4 - 5 hours from the nearest motorrad dealer.

I guess my best bet is to contact bmw and ask, but still interested in opinions and experiences you may have had.

Thx - Lewis
  10. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always been told that the as long as the service is accomplished the Warranty is good; doesn't matter if the dealer does it or not. But I'd check with BMW just to be sure . . .
  11. Captain Lew

Oddometer:
    I looked up bubbler for android- not on apple app store - rats. Will keep looking for a tracker... guess I could enable find my iphone but I don’t mind a bit of privacy!

When you say genuine EPRB, what brand do you use? I found https://www.acrartex.com/products

Thx - Lewis
  12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like that app requires a cell connection for tracking. If so, that’s not going to be of much use out here in the empty parts of the western US.
  13. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    It does, but the paid version stores 1,500 points (250 hours @ 10 minute intervals) and will dump when it gets a connection.

Were I heading for Alaska and wanted to be tracked, I'd get another Spot or DeLorme (now owned by Spot) Inreach.

For me, the tracking is a "nice to have" feature. If you want/need emergency rescue, a real EPRB/PLB is the way to go. This goes to SAR directly and not through a 3rd party as Spot does. About $250 up front, battery lasts 5 years and is registered to you. No service fees.

[​IMG]
    Captain Lew likes this.
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    In many places out here, that's more like "if" it gets a connection. :D
    Actually, Garmin bought DeLorme. And I intended to buy an Inreach+ before SPOT came back at me with that low-ball service offer.
    Perhaps. But to me, tracking is the "must have" feature. If I am unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise physically unable to activate the beacon, then the tracking feature could save me. In that scenario, the EPIRB will be nothing more than an expensive paperweight, and no one will have any idea where to start looking for me. Tracking will at least give me a chance to be found.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Now, back to your regularly scheduled G310GS programming.
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I would just add that you/anyone ought to consider mounting the Spot on your person (typically a back-pack or Camelbak shoulder strap) rather than on the bike - just in case you are separated from the machine and unable to reach it... After all, it is foremost a personal safety device, and being able to reach the SOS button in a genuine emergency situation is far more important than hoping someone is watching your tracking bread-crumb.

2-cents, to help pay for your annual subscription ;o)

Jx
  16. stevetheb

stevetheb mashed potatoes

Oddometer:
    I haven't got the chance yet, but MAD's video looks promising. The dealer had those heated grips installed on the test 310R. They looked pretty good. I've taken to wearing down tights around here when it's less than 50, and the Rukka lobster mitts have kept my fingers toasty with all the extra heat saved from my legs... Down layer is highly recommended for sub 40 degree rides. I'll try to swing by GL today.

20180316_110948_HDR.jpg
  17. Captain Lew

Oddometer:
    I appreciate any and all info and discussion on here b/c then I don’t have to look for it in other threads or on the web. Thumbs up
    Richarde1605 and WoodWorks like this.
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've considered that. Here's why I continue to mount it on my handlebars: 1) Because the signal it sends is extremely weak, the SPOT does a fairly dismal job of tracking unless the antenna is oriented directly towards the sky, something that's difficult to do reliably when mounted on a floppy strap. 2) I know my wife is tracking me. I don't have to hope that someone is. So if I don't check in, I have no doubt that she'll be taking steps to find me. 3) See my previous post about being unconscious, incapacitated, etc. If I'm out or severely injured, and I can't press any buttons, a reliable track is my only hope. 4) On my handlebars I can easily monitor its power and transmission status. Nothing like riding all day and discovering too late that its batteries have died.
  19. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do any of you guys have any type of paint protection on this bike? I've only ridden a couple times and noticed that my jacket is scuffing the paint on the tank. I thought about some type of clear static sticker type deal. I don't want to use a sticky product if possible.
  20. azrunner

azrunner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used helicopter tape on my bicycles. I plan to apply this to the potential wear spots on my g310gs.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.