BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. stevetheb

stevetheb mashed potatoes

Oddometer:
    I've noticed a few minor scratches as well. I might apply tank grip though.

No Giant Loop today.
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    It's a GS. It's supposed to get scratched and dirty. :D
  3. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I know. But I hate to have scuffs and scratches before I even have a 100 miles on it. I at least want a good story to go along with my scatches...lol.
    azrunner and WoodWorks like this.
  4. TannerLdJ123

TannerLdJ123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can any owners give me an idea how heavy the clutch pull is on this bike, from a scale of "ktm 690 is light" to "ducati 1200 is carpal tunnel"?

Thanks.
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must be light - I really haven't noticed.

Just checked. 2 fingers, and I'm old and weak.
  6. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Clutch pull, very lite.

Had a short about 50 mile ride yesterday. Like this little GS more each time I ride it. Really love how compliant the suspension is on these tight twisty bumpy paved roads. Much better than my XT250 or my Husky Strada was.

Excellent bike. :thumb
    pgod1960, 1suffolkmare and JB44 like this.
  7. 1suffolkmare

1suffolkmare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the light clutch pull
  8. Trickster59

Trickster59 Iceman

Oddometer:
    IMG_0302.JPG For those of you interested in disposing the stock exhaust, I have fitted the Remus exhaust and it is much lighter, a bit louder and for me looks great.
  9. pgod1960

pgod1960 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great! The more I see it, the more I'm liking the Blackie and at first it was the colour I liked the least!
    WoodWorks likes this.
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Clearly, you are a person of taste. :beer
    pgod1960 likes this.
  11. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    I like that Remus., how is it installed as the stock can is welded to the exhaust pipe......I think.........Actually have not looked closely.
  12. SamDog

SamDog n00b

Oddometer:
    Brand new to this group and to BMW. Just rode my 310 GS away from the dealer this morning. Was a great ride. After stopping for about 10 minutes towards the end of a two hour ride, the bike would not start again. I flicked the kill switch on and off a few times, ignition on and off a few times, kicked the kick stand up and down a few times....finally, it started. I have done a number of subsequent starts trying to get it to replicate, ...no luck. I read a post somewhere in here where there was a non-start issue and roadside assistance was called in. Turned out that was a battery. Any other thoughts? Anyone else had this happen? (99.9% sure it wasn't user error) Kind of a bummer at 75 miles on the ODO.
    Captain Lew and randypower like this.
  13. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    If it is a bad battery you likely would not have gotten it restarted. I've had experience with bad batteries.

It does stink to have this happen on a very new bike, but that's what the warranty is for. Take it back to the dealer and they can see if there are any error codes. Just guessing, but it could *possibly* be a bad sidestand switch.

edit: When you say it souldn't restart, did it turn over at all and simply not fire?
  14. SamDog

SamDog n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve....I can't help but think sidestand too. On the unsuccessfull starts, no fire at all. Dead silence.
    Instruments and such did come to life.
  15. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1140957 For those of you interested in disposing the stock exhaust, I have fitted the Remus exhaust and it is much lighter, a bit louder and for me looks great.[/QUOTE]

Nice! It looks like it sits higher than the stock exhaust. Do you think it will interfere with panniers.

Jim
  16. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear more comparison to the XT250... I love my XT, especially off pavement, but we all know its struggles on highway. I sometimes commute on it, but feel bad winding it up for 65-70mph stretches on my hour commute.

I'm in the "seriously thinking about the G310GS" mode for a while. I would keep the XT for the more serious dirt.

Any insights coming from an XT250 appreciated. Brakes, suspension, confidence on dirt and high speed highway. Also, how comfortable is the seat for longer rides? I have had trouble with saddle comfort on several bikes but strangely the stock xt250 seat works well for me, even for fairly long stretches (up to 6 hours with short breaks). Part of that is being able to scoot back which the GS doesn't make easy.

Also, I was excited to see the first used Baby GS up for sale. I contacted that dealer but it was sold within 30 minutes this morning. I'm pretty sure it was the gentleman who posted on this forum about returning his 310GS for an R nine T, as that was the story the salesman told as well. (dealer was Freedom in Fort Worth.)
    Bain Dramage likes this.
  17. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    That is a bummer! I had not been able to start my bike since pickup at dealer in Feb. due to winter temps. Yesterday it was about freezing and I had just charged the battery so I gave it a go.

No go! It nearly started, but kept dying. On third attempt I kept it going for 10 seconds by reving a little - up to 2-4 grand. Then it died. I tried again and then it went nuts. It kept trying to start on its own even though I took my thumb off the starter. It cycled like that about 30 seconds until the battery died. It didn’t stop when I hit the kill switch, turned the key off, put it into gear momentarily, put the kick stand down, turned the key to lock. Nothing killed the start sequence until it was dead.

So now I have the tender on again and will wait for some nice warm +5-10 C day to try it again. Then I figure that I will know if it is a one time issue or a bigger issue. In the meantime I will check fuses, add a few litres of fresh fuel, and cross my fingers.

What is the lowest temp people have been running the bike at?
  18. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    I think black ages the best.
    If I may, that IS the bigger issue. That sounds horrible; I don't care what the temp outside may be. If it were me, I'd have the service scheduled already.

Best of luck getting it sorted. Keep us posted!
    randypower and Captain Lew like this.
  19. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 - the weather is not the issue here - unless you had to dig it out of a snowbank and all of the electrics were sopping wet.

And even then...
  20. oldgser

oldgser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Craig, did the engine turn over? If it did then it is not prop stand switch.

A further but less likely cause could be blocked tank vent. Did you try opening fuel cap to vent tank.