BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. SamDog

SamDog n00b

Oddometer:
    Engine did not turn over.....but the dash lit up! Did not open tank. That's something I'll definitely keep in mind. Being brand new, I can't imagine what would block the vent. I don't know where the vent is....could it be effected by a tank bag? I do have one of those on.
    Captain Lew likes this.
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Typically built into the cap and no - a tankbag won't block it.
  3. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Lights on and engine not turning over can be caused by the either the kill switch (which you mentioned you checked) or the clutch switch. The clutch switch prevents the starter from turning over when the clutch is not engaged and you are not in neutral. Which makes sense, otherwise the bike would suddenly lurch forward. When the bike would not start, did you make sure that you were in neutral or had the clutch engaged?

If the engine does not turn over you can forget about the tank vent, it is the cause of your problem. I suspect either user error (as mentioned gear engaged, clutch not pulled - can happen to anyone, do not ask me how I know :D) or faulty switches (could be the kill or clutch switch, or the starter button itself). I hope you get your bike sorted! :thumb
  4. EnduroAmerica

EnduroAmerica YouTube.com/enduroamerica

Oddometer:
    The little GS is an extraordinarily capable bike. Even in stock form.
    Did a FULL test of its abilities yesterday on a 250+ mile ride in some of the roughest terrain. Then rode home on the highway.
    Videos up on Instagram @EnduroAmerica
    More to come!
    20180317_112417.jpg
  5. Straw Dog

Straw Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I own a baby gs and It will not start if the stand is down and in gear, period. Pulling in the clutch does not override the stand kill switch. It will start in neutral with the stand down. My guess his bike has a bad battery or bad stand kill switch or kill switch connection.

On a side note; I love this little bike. I have about 400 miles on it in 2.5 weeks. I may sell my highly farkled wr250r as the baby GS is a much better street bike and it is fine/good for 85% the type of dirt roads or trails I ride.

I never really road my 1150GS on any other than improved dirt roads or the street.

I am 5' 9" 32 inseam and 162# and the suspension is ok for my weight, just slightly too soft forks for rougher dirt work. This is not the bike to go WFO off road on and not what is was designed for.
  6. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:

Most modern bikes won't start with the sidestown down unless they're in neutral.
  7. Straw Dog

Oddometer:
    Correct
  8. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    You said you think the switch is busted, but what you described is normal behavior for most bikes
  9. Straw Dog

Oddometer:
    If you note the post I quoted did NOT state this clearly that is why I quoted that post and posted what i did. If he had his stand down and in gear it will not start. That is what I stated. I do not know if he knows this as he has 3 posts and may be a new rider. Not every one knows about the stand switch cutout and this thread is about the 310GS and I was just stating that fact for anyone that does not know. If he understands this then there is a problem with the bike and not normal behavior as others in the thread have noted. I am not a new rider, I have had my motorcycle license since 1970 when I turned 15 but stared riding dirt before that.
    muddy likes this.
  10. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Ooh, touchy.
    randypower likes this.
  11. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, you're newer than me. :evil
    randypower likes this.
  12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    If the side stand is down and your bike is in gear, it WILL start of you’ve got the clutch pulled in. I confirmed that twice on today's ride.
    stevetheb and randypower like this.
  13. Straw Dog

Oddometer:
    Your bike is not like mine then,.strange i just went into my garage, turned on key, my bike is in 1st with stand down, i pulled in the clutch and no crank. put the stand up clutch in it cranks/starts.
    randypower likes this.
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Well shit. I just went out to the garage and did the same, and it wouldn't start. And yet it did twice this afternoon when I was stopped on a slope and kept it in first gear to keep it from rolling back. Maybe it only works if the ground isn't level. :lol3
  15. SamDog

SamDog n00b

Oddometer:
    Great info and thoughts on my lil' GS not feeling so well. In two days, I have put on almost 200 miles. All of that has been PERFECT. The bike is a great fit for my size and style of riding.

HOWEVER, there is still sadness. Today at about the same "time" of yesterday's ride....approx. 2 1/2 hours riding at about 70 miles into the ride we took a short break. After about 10 minutes, again, the bike would not start. Same as in my original post about this yesterday. In N or not. In Gear, etc. Clutch in, in gear. Side stand up, down, etc. Kill switch on and off. Ignition on and off, etc. All of this a few times over. Finally the bike starts right up and I get home with no issues, having not stopped the bike again. I tried to replicate the non-start with no luck.

After the bike had been put away for a couple of hours, I went down to kick around a bit, and it would not start again. I am trying to see if there is a prestart, post ignition to on buzzing that is NOT happening when it does NOT start. Lots of variables.

Will call the dealer tomorrow. Fortunately the last two days have been about the best riding and weather conditions one could ask for. Rest of the week is nasty. Timing for a shop visit is good.

Thanks for everyone's input. Lots to learn here.
  16. O-Man

O-Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine won't start either if stand is down and in gear.
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Sorry @Straw Dog. I must have had a brain fart. Too many years of automatically kicking up the side stand. Or just too many years. :fpalm
    Straw Dog likes this.
  18. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    I went through mine and the fuses are all good. Throttle has a little bit of play at full off which I am told it should, so it doesn’t register as fueling.

Battery does not seem to be taking a charge and so maybe that was the issue. After a day of charging there was no sign of life when I turned the ignition on. There is info in the manual about a low voltage warning and a second engine mode that kicks in to manage that. Maybe it was a low voltage issue at exactly the wrong time that screwed up the start sequence and everything else.

If the battery doesn’t charge in the next day or two I will be calling bmw road side warranty (nearest dealer is 4 hrs/5 hrs away respectively) and I’m not going to them. They can come pick it up or send out a mechanic. If it charges I will try it one more time while video runs.

Battery problem would be ok with me at this point.
  19. Straw Dog

Oddometer:
    Just wondering, did you check the battery with a meter after charging?

I am thinking this is starting to sound like a bad batch of batteries.
    I was curious about the batteries so I just went and pulled mine out and it is a BMW branded AGM but no telling who actually made it. The date code was 11-17-17. bike built 12/17.

On a side note; The other day I noticed the front tire dot date stamp is 4716
  20. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:

Checked that the battery was connected snug??
    Captain Lew likes this.