BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. psychohawk

psychohawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I forgot to mention: I was at a motorcycle show here in Prague about a month ago and guess what bike was getting a lot of attention? A Benelli 300cc motorbike ... Oh, and it was a sweet bike!
  2. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it was closer to 325 lbs, I think it's a winner
    gplane likes this.
  3. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's a great idea for a smaller bike. As was mentioned earlier, while the 1200GS is great, it's the wrong tool for single track nasties. I just can't wrap my head around boinging a $25k bike off the rocks or burying it in a mud pit. I'm certain that there are skills to be learned in the dirt on a smaller bike that will transfer to the big one.
  4. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW's 650, 700, 800 are not small adv bikes. Just smaller than the 1100-1200s.
    If they really want to make a smaller capable adv bike they better target 325-340 pounds ready to ride weight.
    BMWs light weight bikes don't make sense to me. Way to heavy to tear up the dirt and too much of a compromise on the street.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Many of us started out on motorized two wheelers smaller than 350CCs. I started on a Whizzer, about 150CCs, about 30MPH top speed, about $50.00 used. I parked in the bicycle rack with the rest of the non motorized two wheelers.
  6. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Not every ADV trip requires 90 mph runs between dirt road entries. And, while I love my KTM 450 for the tight stuff, it is not a very comfortable bike on the road. And, my GS really is a bit much for tight and rough singletrack, and can certainly be an expensive drop. A 310GS seems a good concept. Unlike some here, I've not ridden one and refuse to call it "junk" before it develops a track record. It is always good to have options.
  7. cds247

cds247 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I spent lots of time on my first road bike - a massive 125cc... Then moved to a huge bike - a 550cc. At the time I couldn't have imagined a 1200cc motorcycle.

I suspect there are a few of us that crave a simpler little bike for the real technical dirt, right now we're looking at other brands...

I suspect the more expensive, complicated, etc. the big GS gets, the more there will be a need for a small dirt option.
  8. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I predict that this bike in the naked and GS model will sell very well. The G650 is gone after this year - no more single GS. I've been told by my dealer that the G310R is first followed by the 310GS but no pricing is available. Heck, KLRs are still flying out of showrooms and that's a 450 lb, 35 HP bike that sells for $6K. If the G310GS is less than 400 lbs and 35 hp and priced in the $7K range it'll sell.
  9. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a market for it. Just depends on pricing.
    kojack06 and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  10. erik350

erik350 adventurer

Oddometer:
    they arrived late, the Zongshen RX3 is a top seller world wide. the chinese manufacturers did it right. not everybody can afford a 1200. and the chinese discovered that for every 1200 customer are 10000 guys who would buy a 250cc or 400cc bike.
    dgeezer and buckthedog like this.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Yes.

The more bikes, the more competetion.

Lots of folks in the USA would buy this. We have a lot of folks under 30 who would love to commute on a GS bike with dreams of taking the bike on a big trip.

Their 652cc single bike was 48hp and 425lbs. $8,650 or so.

This bike after getting a little more fuel and more goodies could be 360-375lbs. 166kgs.
    Maybe $7,500-$8,650. Yes, that much.

So the USA weekend warriors would pull the power yawn card and the under $10,000 frugal guys would purchase a left over MIGHTY DR for $1,000 off MSRP and put $2,000 worth of mods and be good to go with their 40lbs of torque.
    brad.eeles likes this.
  12. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd hit it.
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it not 300 or less i would not be interested .
  14. moonos

moonos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Asia a 250 is considered a bigger bike than most as everyone mainly has 125cc scooters. A 650 is very rare unless you are rich so something like this would do well for the middle class.

I wonder if it will be made and/or assembled in Thailand. If it is these bikes will be all over the country as bikes made and/or assembled there get sales tax breaks.
  15. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I, for one, would love to see this or the Ktm 390 get converted into an adv bike. The dual sport market is lacking a middle weight bike with efi. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
  17. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider!

Oddometer:
    I hope it is reasonable weight. I fear that BMW may not be truly concerned about real off road manageability!
    I enjoy My 800GS, even took it to Taylor Park CO. But, I had a much better time there on my 690, and WR250R.

If BMW is gonna mess with the lighter weight D/S range, at the prices they want for bikes they need to get it right!

update:
    After looking at proposed Pics. that TBR found, that sucker will not do!
    Man, I'm kickin myself in the ass for ever selling my perfectly set-up WR250R!!!!
  18. Faux Real

Faux Real Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The little GS will do very well. ADV bikes are the new SUV, most will never see off-road travel. As long as it feels light between your legs and looks the part they will lots of them to new riders...... Graduated licenses have always driven the small bike market. That is why we are seeing so many new bikes in this category. It is fine by me I like 35-50 hp bikes just fine.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The mfgs know Honda is moving forward with their CFR250L Rally version so I'd expect we will see others play too.
    yokesman likes this.
  20. 1Wildbull1

1Wildbull1 Hugh Glass is my Hero!

Oddometer:
    Our in progress build - KTM Duke 390 Adventure. This is a 70/30 bike and we are still sourcing more parts (wire wheels, ect.). Building it for the wife, it's her first street bike and she has been riding dirt bikes for years. So yes there is a market for small, fun motorcycles, especially for new to street 50 year old women. We just returned from the Overland Expo and the bike was a big hit. I hope the little BMW does great, can't wait to see them out and about. The wife loves her little KTM, and as for junk, our 390 has been quality and reliable. She has had it on road, off-pavement and off-road and everything worked great.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]