1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Matt(inCT)

Matt(inCT) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking based on the pictures that with a Remus exhaust I couldn't fit that frame.....

Matt

2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most aftermarket exhausts are smaller than OEM - unless it's a matter of positioning rather than size.

Never saw the point in aftermarket exhausts - at least not since my 20s. And maybe early 30s.

A lot of money for negligible weight savings/power gains and most are louder than stock.

Must be getting old.

And get the hell off my lawn.
  3. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI: Dealers received the following info this week about RECALL. Some bikes will require redesigned frame. Redesigned frame sounds like a major hassel for dealers if customers have crashbars, skid plates, bag racks. etc installed

Last part of letter to Beemer dealers 2 paragraphs below....Replacement repair parts scheduled to be at dealers Aug 7th....

If the breakage occurs when in motion, it could cause a crash, causing injury and property damage. Conversely, if the stand breaks while the bike is parked, it would cause the vehicle to fall over, potentially injuring bystanders and causing damage, or fuel spillage. All customers will be notified.

Customers are advised to take their motorcycles to a dealer, which will inspect the side stand connector and a specific segment of the frame. If dealers find no sign of damage in the side stand connector area, they will only install an additional reinforcing plate and a new stand connector. However, in case damage is found, the bike is in for a more extensive repair that involves installing a redesigned frame with a reinforced side stand connector already in place.
    MichaelJ, randypower and HorakCM like this.
  4. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey Michael ,,,,

thanks for the pictures and info !

5. Citizen

Citizen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^yikes... hope I’m in the latter...err former..
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I rode up to Caldwell, Idaho to have Seat Concepts install their tall seat foam and cover kit on my stock seat pan.

F942DC5B-27C4-4BCF-9D54-1C1758C839A8.jpeg
    2A4A3145-9F4F-4FE2-AAE0-A1EED0D65AF1.jpeg
    0D0E2755-D553-4439-953C-711B23C2354B.jpeg

I’ve put 600 miles on the new seat so far, including a ride over the Lolo Motorway (trip report here), and I can’t praise this seat, and the people at Seat Concepts enough. Just getting rid of the hump makes a huge difference to me. Being able to scoot back and forth allows me to relieve pressure points, and to adjust my riding position to suit the terrain, which I had to do on the Motorway a lot. And with my 32 inch inseam, I can still flat foot it.

You can do the installation yourself. But I figured I’d screw it up, and I was headed to Idaho anyway, so...
  7. HorakCM

HorakCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seat is awesome looking! I can't decide if the hump helps me or hurts me on the street as far as comfort but it certainly gets in the way when trying to move around.

Do you have any pictures of the whole bike's profile with the seat on, and do you notice much difference on the highway with the higher seating position?
  8. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Sure like the looks of your hi seat.

How much was it?
    randypower likes this.
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    This is the best I got right now. But I’m heading back to Oregon from northern Idaho today, and I’ll try to get a better shot along the way. My head’s a little higher (obviously) so it’s in cleaner air over the RR screen. But the difference isn’t that noticeable.

65235E53-7DBD-4361-8A1C-37A4692EF759.jpeg

US$170, installed.
  10. HalfAsleep

HalfAsleep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I have just been unlucky with the margins on my bike. We are literally talking less than a millimeter probably. If I loosen the screws on the instrument casing, that is enough to get free play on the kaoko. As soon as I tighten the screws again, the plastic tap probably forces the instrument casing enough outwards that it binds again. Grrr.
  11. HalfAsleep

HalfAsleep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, nice seat, I can see it does not have the "dip". What seat is this? Or what post # did you tell us? I must have missed it.

Edit: LOL nevermind, it was because I was not on the last page even though I thought I was and had seen all recent posts....doh!
  12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I’ve run my bike down to 2 miles on the range indicator twice, and once down to 1 mile. But today I ran it down to zero, and then had to ride another mile before I could get gas.

85863F04-666A-4C64-B102-B6450D47EDBF.jpeg
    DC32D8B3-C684-4D8C-898F-5D589C8699FA.jpeg

As you can see, it had (theoretically) 0.118 gals of gas left in the tank. So (again, theoretically) I could ride another 7 miles or so once the range display hits zero.
  13. HorakCM

HorakCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is investigative journalism at its finest.
  14. flexfab

flexfab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a good solution to the seat "well" problem WoodWorks. I see the added height being a problem in ruffer terrain to some though.
    My approach was to slightly raise the height and was able to cut the back of the "well" back quite a bit. That gave me a lot of room to move around and made the seat very comffy on long days. How is the density of the foam? IMG_4173.JPG IMG_4170.JPG
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    They had me try two options, both of which felt firmer than the OEM foam. I went with the softer of the two, and 1000 miles later, am happy with my choice.
    randypower likes this.
  16. flexfab

flexfab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Did they make it any wider? I have one of there seat kits on one of my dual sport bikes and it has just enough flair in the cruze zone to be really nice.
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    You can see what it looks like up above in post 4545.
  18. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
  19. flexfab

flexfab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Laam custom seats. He has made me other seats also, they work well for me.
    I ride for a ADV tour company, so a good office chair is important. :-)
  20. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Thanks - might I be so bold as to inquire as to the length of your inseam?