1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. flexfab

flexfab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the pictures, that pot hole was very deep and very sharp. I'm not sure any rim would have made it unscathed.
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the extra suspension travel on the GS might have made any difference? :scratch
  3. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you would have put a dent in any rim the way it looks to me. Looks like you guys had a fun trip though.
  4. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The last couple of weeks has been chaotic at work, and this weekend has been too busy to get to the bike as well. Meanwhile, the packages have been coming at a fast and furious rate!

I see a week of evenings in the garage, as I squeeze myself into the available space and fit all of this. Need to have it done by next weekend, as it's my last chance for a shakedown run before I hit the desert for two weeks!!

Attached Files:

Bgunn, Citizen, HorakCM and 3 others like this.
  5. stevetheb

stevetheb mashed potatoes

Oddometer:
    I guess you can justify the spoked RR wheels now. :D:augieGlad you made it unscathed!

I hit Crack in the Ground today. Just a giant fault or collapsed lava tube running along the surface for a while. You can feel cold air blowing up from somewhere deep in a few places. I love the RR level 2 suspension! I floated along quite a few washboards, and saved myself from washing out transitioning from pave to gravel to quickly in deeper than expected gravel. It also ate up a rough bit of salt flat.

IMG_20180804_144849.jpg IMG_20180804_140430.jpg IMG_20180804_162147.jpg
    Vampir, WoodWorks, randypower and 2 others like this.
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same thought until I remembered that the R has a 17" front wheel vs. a 19" for the GS.
  7. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, so tonight it was time to fit the 'custom' Pivot Pegz. Obviously they got @WoodWorks email, as there was no filing or anything to do - they just fitted. Had to unclip the gear change rod to lift the gear selector up to get the pin out of the peg, but that was it. Under 10 mins.

IMG_20180806_215957.jpg IMG_20180806_220022.jpg IMG_20180806_215725.jpg IMG_20180806_215932.jpg
    stevetheb, HorakCM and randypower like this.
  8. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BUT...

IMG_20180806_215343.jpg IMG_20180806_215405.jpg IMG_20180806_215436.jpg IMG_20180806_215509.jpg

This is a major bummer. The whole left footpeg area design leaves so much to be desired... I'm torn between wanting bigger pegs for a 5,000 km trip across the Australian Outback in a fortnight, and worrying about the damage I'll do if, no, when, I drop it on this peg! I'm guessing yours is the same @WoodWorks?

Any sage advice from experienced inmates would be greatly appreciated. Run the damage risk with the awesome Pegz, or revert to the 'safer' OEM offering?
  9. Aircooled6racer

Oddometer:
    It may save your shifter?
    HorakCM and ChappyADVR like this.
  10. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't thought of that. You're clearly a glass half full kinda guy. :D
    HorakCM likes this.
  11. Aircooled6racer

Oddometer:
    As long it is beer than I am in!
    ChappyADVR likes this.
  12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yep, mine’s the same. Of all the things I might break and end a ride when dropping the bike, that design shortcoming isn’t very high on my list.
    ChappyADVR likes this.
  13. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's good to know.
  14. Peby

Peby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered the custom Pivot Pegz as well. Arrived in NC in a week. Super easy install - no filing necessary.
    ChappyADVR likes this.
  15. GreatNorthRider

GreatNorthRider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I got mine on Friday!
    Going to put it on today and take out for a test ride...between the thunderstorms.
  16. Peby

Peby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone verify the chain spec that is on the 310 GS? Wanting to get a master link to break it for the sprocket change and having trouble verifying the exact spec.
  17. GreatNorthRider

Oddometer:
    :clap 9C2DFCED-E4EC-4D8F-BD3A-B4833E2EDA31.jpeg
    Got a huge surprise in the mail today! Betty at KHS originally told me she could not get the 41t rear till sometime in October. Well, look what showed up in today’s mail!
    Now the only question is do install both, or go with the original plan to do the front today and test?
  18. GreatNorthRider

Oddometer:
    E8A55DE9-D80D-458D-8F67-31BAD7B1E57D.jpeg E8A55DE9-D80D-458D-8F67-31BAD7B1E57D.jpeg
    I’ll just jump in here....I ended up going with the SW Motec center stand. Works great and the install was pretty easy.....except for that f#&*ing spring you see there. Man that was a bugger to get rigged!

Attached Files:

19. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi GreatNorth' - that's great news, I just missed out on a 15T from that first batch...

I think you'll be able to fit both without changing the length of the chain, so I'd fit the front first, see how that feels (do take some before and after GPS speed vs rpm notes please), then fit the rear if you feel you'd like it a little lower still.

Jx
  20. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    30 seconds to undo the clip. 9 minutes & 30 seconds to find where the clip flew off to.

I have the SW Motech "Uni" pegs on mine and have the same issue of the left peg's clearance when folding. Looks like anything wider than stock will have the same issue. The Motech pegs could have benefited from a (very small) bit of filing - they were tight to install and have a bit of resistance when folding.

But after my first ride on any length on them, there's no way that I'm going back to the OEM twigs.
    HorakCM, randypower and ChappyADVR like this.