BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. stevetheb

stevetheb mashed potatoes

Oddometer:
    It's extremely hard to go past 84 with the RR lvl 2 suspension and tall windscreen on. You can do it, after WOT for a long period of time and proper conditions (new top with RR kit of 88mph). Maybe I'll consider the 15t.
    HorakCM likes this.
  2. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    HEY !!! Look what followed me home :clap

[​IMG]

Just hit 200 miles so next ride out I get to twist the grip a little further :wings
  3. HorakCM

HorakCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting on a Level 1 from RR. Today it managed to hit 80 with the 15t on flat highway, although it felt like it was already maxed out so I wouldn't be surprised if the actual speed is 5-10mph lower than on paper.

Then I found the baby GS's limit.

20180808_212100.jpg

...hillclimbs. And now it gets to live in the woods through a thunderstorm, until it dries out.

20180808_222205.jpg

But at least it has a key and steering lock to deter any thieving deer? ‍
    stevetheb, randypower and ChappyADVR like this.
  4. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do I recall that you were on Shinkos? Because that was my exact problem. Muddy hillclimbs. Except first thing in the morning, no storm, and fewer deer.
    HorakCM likes this.
  5. HorakCM

HorakCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup! Shinko 804/805. I've been very impressed with how well they've been working and they've made that climb before, but that slick clay did them in. With both brakes locked up it still slid backwards downhill. :fpalm
  6. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, yes, that's *exactly* what happened to me. At least you managed to keep yours upright. I wasn't so skilled... :muutt
    stevetheb and HorakCM like this.
  7. sonmaix

sonmaix n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm in a wrong topic, but I have a few concerns with my GS.
    Sometimes throttle becomes jerky from idle. Like then closing throttle to decelerate and then opening it up just a tiny bit, it is jerky. Other times it's smooth again.
    I have this strange feeling with rear suspension. Then going over bigger whoops or holes, sometimes the rear is like diving and for a fracture of moment, it almost feels like I lose torque or wheel is stuck. I'm 67 kg without gear, have added 6 klicks of preload and it's better, but not completely eliminated. Also I get occasional very slight rear wheel wobbling.
    1 month and 600 km.
  8. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, if I were you, I'd be seeing my dealer about that. Could be something loose or binding in the rear end? Someone else might have better insight though...
  9. mbikeboy

mbikeboy Adventurer

Oddometer:

I recall suggesting some TKC80's before you went ahead with the Shinko's mate! ;)
  10. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes you did. :-) Honestly though, with my skill level, tyres aren't going to make too much difference, and Shinkos are half the price of TKCs, so... I'm interested though, in the fact that the rear Shinkos appear to have such an Achilles heel with lateral stability! On tarmac they're amazing - a knobbie that's nearly peg down capable!

I've got some Motoz Tractionator Adventures that I'm about to try, which will be an interesting comparison.

How's your bike going dude? Have they released it yet, or still on sidestand hold?
  11. 71CB100

71CB100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They had black. I couldn't resist!
    [​IMG]
  12. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't matter that it's black - welcome to the club! ;)
    randypower and 71CB100 like this.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - don't cuss the black...

It might not be the fastest, but it's certainly the coolest ;o)

[​IMG]

Jx
    Tyler123, TTGator, randypower and 5 others like this.
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    All other G310GSs wish they could be black! :nod
    Citizen, TTGator, randypower and 4 others like this.
  15. thomsva

thomsva n00b

Oddometer:
    Two and a half days mini-vacation! I took the G310GS to Lapland and the Arctic Sea.

P8060160.jpg
    Sunset in western Finland

P8070182.jpg
    Above the treeline in the northern parts of Norway. Approaching Alta from the west.

P8080186.jpg
    I met only one car on this 40 km gravel road in Lapland/Finland.

P8090209.jpg
    Bugs. The rest of them are on my helmet.

I had packed very light because i didn't really need any camping gear. I attempted to do a SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles (1609 km) in 24 hours) on my way up allowing very little time to sleep. The second night I stayed at a hotel.

In addition to a Pelican style top case I have Hepco & Becker hard panniers and a waterproof Ortlieb 24 liter Rack Pack. The panniers are really more small than practical, but I think they fit the bike well. The Ortlieb wasn't even half full this time, and I think a bigger 31 liter version would also fit the bike nicely for more packing capacity. The Pelican-style top case is very practical in use.

All in all I covered 3160 km. I stopped for fuel 21 times. :D

I'm very happy with the G310GS so far. The stock suspension fits this kind of riding very well. Even motorways are somewhat enjoyable even if the motor is close to it's limit. There is some vibration on the footpegs and handlebars but that's close to neutral, on the scale between likable and annoying. Also I find the stock saddle pretty good. Looking forward to more rides in the future!
  16. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Except the red ones.
  17. HorakCM

HorakCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And the white ones, even though they look like toys.

Spotted another painted 310 here in MD not too long ago, back left.

20180809_144846.jpg
    ChappyADVR likes this.
  18. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last evening my wife walked out into the garage and said "holly crap, what have you done?"

The entire aft end of the bike was scattered about the place. She said "why did you do that? It's only been here 23 hours"

My reply of course was " it was only 21 hours when I started and why wouldn't I? " She rolled her eyes and went away. She's a keeper!!!

I ended up with five pounds of crap in a box and a cleaner tail end
    [​IMG]

Today I dug through my cast off parts and came up with a pair of Pivot-Pegs that are either from one of my 1150 GS's or my 800 GS. I'm not sure.
    With a few mods like grinding .020 off of the "pin length" surface and then welding a piece of 1/8" stainless to the surface that stops them at level, they worked!
    [​IMG]

Yes, I did have to trim a little off of the left peg to get it to fold up a little more but my trim let it fold up more than the stock peg but yet let it protect the shifter still. I did need to adjust the shifter up a little but the bonus here is I can actually find the break lever now.

I also spent some time and lubricated every thing the dealer should have.

This is a nice little bike!

On another note, I took my R12RT off my insurance and put the G310GS on. See my sig, I have other bikes, but my insurance dropped to exactly half :clap:clap:clap
  19. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How can I like this twice? :D
    GreatNorthRider likes this.
  20. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice work dude. Congrats on saving 5 lbs! Was it just the R&G tail tidy, or more than that which gave you the weight saving? Oh, and if you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo or two of what you ground off the left peg? Love my new Pegz, but only mm of fold on the left one...