BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. HorakCM

HorakCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were yours also an extremely tight fit?
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention it. I almost took a file to them.

I still might. Needs about 1mm of material removed.
    HorakCM likes this.
  3. HorakCM

HorakCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same with mine, they do fold, but need to be reset like you're kicking a cold 2-stroke. Otherwise I love them.
  4. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any high mileage on their 310's yet?
  5. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I have friends in Texas that have worn out at least one set of tires so far (they have a pair of them).

But then, the female half of the pair has a BMW 1.1 Million Mile sticker on one of her bikes, so there is that.
    Bgunn likes this.
  6. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe that @JMo (& piglet) has done over 11,000 miles (hard miles at that) on hers now?
    Bgunn and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  7. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey @O Captain My Captain, I ordered my Pegz through the 'custom' section of their website, after having an email chat with them. That said, @WoodWorks had to file his down to fit, but mine were perfect, so I'm guessing you'll see a listing for G310GS any day now!
  8. O Captain My Captain

O Captain My Captain Upsetting the apple cart

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chappy! Currently, there is nothing on the Pivotpegz site for the G310GS. I'll give it a few more days before reaching out to them directly.
    ChappyADVR likes this.
  9. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    Pivot pegz or swmotech ion?
    I am inclined more towards the swmotech since they have the removable rubber, like the stock ones.
    What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
  10. ChappyADVR

ChappyADVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was actually going to go with the Ions, for pretty much the same reason as you, but I found that once I'd taken the rubber out of the standard pegs, I never felt the need or inclination to refit it.

On the other hand, I like the Pivot Pegz, because they, well, pivot, and it makes it easier for me to get to the brake pedal, which is too low for me to use normally. I'm a big back brake guy, and I don't even use it on the GS...
    WoodWorks likes this.
  11. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aussie lady rider, Amy Harburg, is riding her G310GS from Mongolia back to the UK, on her own. And gas now done nearly 15,000 miles.
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    The ride report is still 10 days behind... it's over 14,500 now ;o)

Jx
  13. HorakCM

HorakCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using the Ions and love them. I'm 6'0 on the internet and 5'11 in real life- so the low setting on the Ions and 2" bar risers fit me really well while decreasing the reach to the brake pedal. Rubber inserts are still in the bag (I think?) never installed. Like Chappy said, don't think you really need them.
    randypower likes this.
  14. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Depends on your pavement:dirt ratio. I'm about 90:10, so the rubbers are fitted. Easy enough to remove should I feel that I need the extra traction.
    randypower likes this.
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    First thing I did with the stock pegs was to remove the rubbers. With the Pivot Pegz I didn’t have to. I like my boots to be secure.
    HorakCM likes this.
  16. HorakCM

HorakCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that's disgusting. Good thing it's getting replaced tomorrow with the RR shock. Anyone else seen this before? I would imagine this is supposed to be a needle bearing with needles captive to the lower shock, and not sliding out onto my garage floor?

20180812_232916.jpg

20180812_233858.jpg
  17. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've had 3 like this when we have built our conversion kits, the bush should stay in the needle bearing, only the outside bush is removed, along with the M10 CHS, but due to over-exuberance with the Loctite at the factory, the inert sleeve comes out as well.
    Most shocks use a wire clip to hold the sleeve in, Tractive do.
    randypower and HorakCM like this.
  18. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:

Are you still happy with it? Have you done any further mods? I'm still trying to convince my wife to let me do this to her bike XD
  19. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on the fence whether to let a 310GS follow me home. Have an F800GS, love it but it gets heavier every year. Friend has a Honda CB500X and I ride it a lot....much better power from the twin versus the G310gs, but noticeably heavier. Reviews hint that it is a 50/50 bike, whereas the G310GS is probably a 70/30 but noticeably lighter...less capable than the CB500 on freeways, but lighter weight a plus for G310GS off-road.....Below link may have put me over the fence.

Interesting comparative link review:
  20. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    You might want to read the ride report by Jenny Morgan entitled Beemer Beemer chicken dinner. She racked 15000miles on a g310gs and she also owns a CB500x and rode that for a lot of miles. I think there is a ride report regarding the CB500x as well.
    Here is the thread https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=1294883&share_fid=14159&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    LewisNClark likes this.