BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Hot damn! That's great news!
    BMWzenrider likes this.
  2. OPNYD

OPNYD Not good; but I’m better than I was...

Oddometer:

Jenny: I’ve done the full RR kit on my GS per your experience/guidance on YouTube - and thank you! It is fabulous for an old geezer of my skill set and proclivities! My bride has a G310R. Thinking about creating a 310 “scrambler” out of it as she enjoys dirt roads, etc. Da question: if I do a RR rear shock/spring would you recommend me locating a 310GS fork assembly to sub for the existing fork? The stock R fork has appreciably less travel. But she’s not a full off-road geek like yours truly. Her off-road experience to date is with an older F650GS which is a heavy, lowered challenge off-road compared to the GS.

Just sorting the value: sell the G310R as is (perfect condition) and purchase a 310GS to mod for her or do a mod on the 310R for her purposes. Hmmmm. Weigh in with opinions if you’ve time, please!
  3. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    changed the tyre tonight. She has a new heidenau k60 on the rear.

The cush drives are not exactly the same.

G650gs sertao on left in pic and the g310gs on the right.

They are reversed... hmmmm. Make sense, because the drives are reversed. Chain on right side on the G650gs.

2019-09-17 20.08.05.jpg 2019-09-17 20.06.46.jpg
    randypower and MichaelJ like this.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi OPNYD - interesting concept - I like that idea!

Certainly if you were wanting to fit a LEVEL 1 (and certainly 2) GS shock to the R, you'd need to raise the front a similar amount otherwise you're really going to mess up the geometry (nose heavy).

Is the plan to also fit a 19" front wheel? If so, then it would make sense/be essential to also fit the GS forks... and then, as you surmise, you might be [financially] better off just buying a GS model in the first place (unless you can find the necessary parts at a good price on ebay etc) - and you could always take the GS fairing/headlight off and fit an R tank cover (and round headlight) if you still want the scrambler look?

Conversely, if you're both happy with the 17" front end and then general hight/stance of the R bike, then I'd probably just go for the LEVEL 1 LOW shock as an upgrade over the OEM - as this offers similar travel to the R shock anyway...

As you've realised, the issue you're going to have at the front is the GS spring/travel is longer than the R, so the Rally-Raid fork kit is unlikely to fit unless you also source some GS fork legs too I'm afraid.

Ultimately, if you can source a pair of GS fork legs for a good price, then yes - I'd be inclined to fit the LEVEL 1 suspension front and rear, and also a 19" front wheel (or the pair of spoked wheels from RR of course), but as you've already considered, you might well be better off just trading the R for another GS and upgrading the suspension on that.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Jenny (she's already weighed in on this).

Anything is possible - but the expense and aggravation factor (IMHO) in converting an R to a pseudo GS would far outweigh just getting another GS.

But then, I'm an old fart and tend to take the path of least resistance.
  6. OPNYD

Oddometer:

It does - thank you!!

I’ve seen some “scrambler” G310Rs done in the Far East. They’re typically utilizing the stock forks and a 120/70 17 front tire (muy beeeeg). Looks good - but handling? I’m also a H-D owner and there exists a trend among the piratey peeps to do a wide front end and the same size tire F & R. For the record, I’m not drinking that particular Koolaid...

Don’t dress like a pirate either. The H-D is cool for the super slab rides on cruise control. A -> B. And to haul our mountain bikes on the tiny trailer I tow. They handle like the chrome-encrusted turd that they are.
    But I digress...

Back to my purpose, my bride loves gravel roads, 2-tracks, etc. The 120 profile tire (methinks) would be satisfactory. Would it be a total cluster-frick on the road?

But....

I loooooooove my RR suspension. There’s a set of used GS forks on fleabay. I’ve gotta check the triple clamp size. I THINK they’re the same but we all know where assumptions lead. The RR level 1 plus fork kit could be pretty cool...
  7. OPNYD

Oddometer:

Greetings from a fellow old fart. In fact, I give old farts a bad name.

That’s my dilemma. I’m not anti-GS; I own one and love it. Just considering something with a slightly different style & purpose as the Wench (my beloved) won’t be doing singletracks with me. The GS look is cool. But so is a scrambler.

Loooong winter coming to Meeechigan. The path of least resistance is deciding which bathroom is closest.
    I’ve time to obsess.

YMMV.
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    :D:D:D

BTDT - born and raised in coastal Maine. Winters were impressive.

Virginia's winters - not so much. The occasional snowfall, but they tend to be the exception.
  9. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding the BMW Brake Caliper recall... I understand that we should be notified mid October. It does not appear that new brake pads are included in the recall.
    Is anyone planning on having your brake pads replaced during the recall? The non recall labor cost to replace the pads is probably about the same as the cost of the pads. The dealers should be willing to put new pads on without any additional labor charge if done during the recall. Seems like a good time to do this.
    Which brand and model of brake pads would you suggest and is there a discount source for these pads?
  10. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asked dealer today, he said march for brake parts.
    Can't sell 310s till fixed.
  11. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I've always liked EBC. As to what composition, that would depend on whether your focus is paved or non-paved surfaces.
    GrizzLee likes this.
  12. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    EBC sintered. All I ever run. Good life, less dirty dust and lasts. YMMV
    MichaelJ likes this.
  13. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But they eat rotors.
    I've used the semi sintered and like the compromise IMHO.
  14. mbikeboy

mbikeboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, has anyone got some decent clutch/brake levers not from China and actually in stock? I'd also like to know the same with footpegs… Fist-pump and numb feet factor has got beyond the joke. :(
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  15. mbikeboy

mbikeboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The brakes have felt sh*t and wooden to begin with, so am rather excited for things to be fixed! I'll be handing over some fresh Brembo pads at the same time for some feel (compound still to be determined). ;)
  16. mbikeboy

mbikeboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's how it is, and is fantastic tbh!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With Scorpion Exhaust (before having the headers custom made to fit under the rack)

[​IMG]
    See above.
  17. mbikeboy

mbikeboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll pop up some pics tomorrow (daylight) with the Kriega racks and bags for you to see. :)
  18. Zaph

Zaph Former Roadracer

Oddometer:
    Holy moly, that's got to suck for dealers, to have models sitting around and getting old while BMW tries to solve problems. That's basically 8 months worth of a sales hold on 310s.

Since nobody can buy one, maybe it's a good time to put mine on Craigslist for $10K now. :smile6 Nah I like it too much.
  19. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Penguin69 likes this.
  20. GrizzLee

Oddometer: