BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hyperpro has GREAT products and customer support. I've used their products on my '15 GSA and love them. A couple years ago riding from Arkansas to Utah I had some questions about adjustment on a steering damper. It was late afternoon on a Saturday when I called them knowing they would probably be out until Tuesday but left a message anyway. Early the next day "Sunday" they called me and gave me great advice. How many vendors will take care of customers on Sunday mornings? That's how you treat customers. Go Hyperpro!
    Captain Lew likes this.
  2. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    No LEDs.

We just got home. Going to test the battery and probably replace. We are the second owners. So maybe the battery is bad.
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of these mounted on mine (in the "wing" to the left of the instrument cluster). Green - all is happy, Amber - not so much, Red - uh-oh.

Tap into one of the aux connectors on the left side (yeah - ALL of the plastic has to come off) and you're good.

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

Left to right: LED battery monitor, Powerlet outlet, Instrument cluster, Dual USB outlets (with built in voltmeter).

While I had it apart, I was doing everything that I wanted to do in that area.

[​IMG]
  4. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G310GS: I run heated grips, heated glove liners and a heated jacket liner. I have a voltmeter on the dash. Without electric clothing, the voltage is normally 14.8 V. With the heated grips, heated glove liners and the jacket turned on wide open, the voltage drops to about 14.5. I don’t think the dead battery was caused by heated gear. I rode all last winter with this kit, and had no problems.

I did replace the H4 headlight (55watts) with an LED unit with a much lower current draw. If you have halogen headlights or driving lights, that’s probably the problem, if you add heated gear.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the data - nothing like real numbers.
  6. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Starter clutch update: My bike is early enough to use a direct replacement service clutch for $157. There is a later design that requires the generator to also be replaced. BUT - I'm not crazy about simply putting in another copy of the design that failed in 1300 miles. My dealer is checking on the price of the new part, but I think it is $507, per the Max BWM fiche. I'm also curious to know if the new design gives any more generator power..... I'll let you know what I find. Sadly, my rebuilt-title bike has no warranty.....
    randypower likes this.
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    You may want to check with your dealer. My battery was replaced under warranty this past spring after it had trouble starting the bike in cold weather.
  8. Michona

Michona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3_Powerplants_1st_Bikes_0_Experience.JPG

After countless hours of research and consideration, my prettier half and I have finally taken the plunge and 'invested' in our first bikes and future adventure ambitions.

We are now the proud owners of two BMW GS's (didn't see that coming) and hope that they will prove the right choice for developing our skills and enjoying every mile of the journey.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum with inspiration and knowledge, especially Jenny Morgan, who along with others has convinced us that adventure riding and big exploits on two wheels are not exclusive to massively expensive and somewhat intimidating machines.

So far, we feel surprisingly confident on the bikes (we took our licenses on 600cc+ bikes, including a 1200GSA), so our pretty little steeds already had their first taste of gravel on their second outing.

This experience, much to my delight, warranted our first purchase from Rally Raid - we chose these bikes specifically because of the possibility to upgrade them when our own capabilities start to match the potential of the standard bike.

With this ethos in mind, we now have two, very adventurous, kickstand shoes ready for imminent installation :)

Attached Files:

joker-b, stevetheb, thomsva and 9 others like this.
  9. OPNYD

OPNYD Not good; but I’m better than I was...

Oddometer:
    F9CE8017-1AED-4608-B90A-570F76CF976B.jpeg 15366FB2-B3D9-4848-9AA3-1EFCD3BAA09A.jpeg I’m too elderly to search the thread. Or too lazy....

Anyone have the torque specs for front axle, front axle pinch bolts, front caliper mount bolts & rear axle handy? Just levered on some TKC 80s on the Wench’s G310R in my quest to create a scrambler out of it. I’m pretty sure the rear is 100 n-m but I canna find the other figures.
    71CB100 likes this.
  10. OPNYD

Oddometer:

You will enjoy!! And FYI the RR suspension upgrades are worth every penny!!

Cheers!
  11. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Wife and I just returned from touring the olympic peninsula. Aside from her battery going dead, she loved her bike and the ride. We did some dirt as well.

2019-10-02 18.36.02.jpg 2019-10-02 18.37.26.jpg 2019-10-02 18.38.06.jpg 2019-10-02 18.36.57.jpg
  12. Michona

Michona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    (I am uncertain if two consecutive posts is poor forum 'etiquette', but since I have been a lurker for quite a while, I want to attempt to make a small contribution)

When we recently bought two G310 GS's, the choice of color was a part of the negotiation. Our BMW sales rep initially offered us two in red at a very reasonable price (they go fast, but apparently sell slower). However, we had already settled on getting one black and one white.

Long story short, I asked him to give us a quote on changing the fairings as part of the deal.

As is obvious to most, but perhaps not everyone, only a very limited number of parts are actually involved in the color scheme of each bike.

To his surprise, and ours, the parts (fairing) in a different color were only around $100 in total. So our joint response was basically that we could buy the bikes in all three colors without that separating us.

So, in conclusion... It seems like any hesitant buyers, due to color, or any already owners can go chameleon on their 310's at a very limited expense (although, this thread has taught me that more than necessary bolts have to be removed).

I have checked the prices and they seem to check out, +1 for mass production, so if you fancy the 2020 blue scheme or you want to try black...
  13. Michona

Michona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You were (without specific mention) included in our inspiration - I am stoked to see your scrambler project (I have no such skills).
  14. OPNYD

Oddometer:

I don’t either. That’s what’ll make this fun!!

I (essentially) start modifying things when the Wench (my beloved, long-suffering bride of 38.7 years) is outa town.

We did a bunch of dirt roads in the Copper Harbor area of northern MI a few weeks ago. I rode my 310GS with RR mods. She rode her old F650GS with new boots. Her mount was OK on smoother roads. But. As a lowered bike it was a turd in the muddy stuff. Several dirt naps. And it weighs 110# more than my 310. I gotta pick it up when it is stuck in horizontal hold.
    Did I mention I’m elderly?

Subsequent to the 3rd dirt nap pickup a thought came to my pea-brain....what about converting her 310R into a scrambler. Wench isn’t interested in doing single-track with me (something about a broken shoulder blade on our mountain bike tandem years ago whilst I was captain....but I digress....). But she DOES like dirt roads. And the R bike is sitting there...

Stay tuned...she canna divorce me. It’s too difficult to train a new house-ape!
    stevetheb and Richarde1605 like this.
  15. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Interesting video on our cousin, the G310R:
    His conclusion is that the 310 is a good bike with a few issues. I doubt there is any new motorcycle launched without some level of problems like this. It seems to me that BMW can fix all of these with better cold-start calibration and a stronger starter clutch. The models produced today may already have these fixes in.

I'm still very happy with this bike. It fits my riding style.....
  16. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brakes: I am awaiting the recall for new calipers, but in the meantime, I’ve changed the brake fluid on both ends. New DOT4 fluid should reduce or eliminate any corrosion, at least for awhile.

My front brake lever has too much free travel before it meets resistance and performs braking. I’ve bled the front brake twice now without improvement. I have added adjustable levers, and that helped, but I sure would like to reduce the free play. Any one else have troubles like this?
  17. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Ouch!!! Upgrading my 2018 starter clutch to the latest design requires a new flywheel: $900 for the parts alone!! It is a paperweight now until I do something.....
  18. OPNYD

Oddometer:

Grrrr! Did you check FleaBay for parts or a donor motor? I’ve seen a few choice parts starting to pop up as people wreck ‘em. Rarely involves total engine destruction....
  19. DSchrodt02

DSchrodt02 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Is that parts and labor? Either way write a complaint to BMW Motorrad. It is rather ridiculous that the whole motor is only 2400.00 in the parts fiche and yet this small section of the motor is going to cost you this much.
  20. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Yes -
    The $900 includes 1.5 hours of labor