BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had a wee little crash this weekend (mostly scratched the plastics...and damaged pride)...but it did bend the throttle side of the stock BMW bar. In your measurements above, you state that the minimum clamping area is 128mm, but the Renthal 636-01 only has a clamping width of 110mm. Have you (or anyone else) swapped out a Renthal 7/8" bar and had issues with the clamping distance? I need to get a replacement soon, and liked the Renthal Banshee option as its closest to "stock"...and I really like the stock bar locations with the Rally Raid bar packers.

Thanks!!
  2. DSchrodt02

DSchrodt02 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Again, I'm not arguing that he got the measurements that he did. If I lay the bars on a table (like he has pictured) I can get the same measurements. However I argue that I don't think that's how you are supposed to take the measurements. The measurements should be taken with the switch controls ruffly parallel to the ground. Here are two measurements of bars that people on this forum have reported to work. I personally have Renthal fat bars 609 with RR 20mm raisers. I barely had enough length on the brake cable.

--------------------------------Width--Height---Raise---Clamp area--Sweep----Control area
    Pro taper CR High----------800-----95--------67------233-----------60---------186
    Renthal 609 RC High-------802-----120------84------150-----------56---------190

Renthal 636 Banshee------782-----162------110-----110-----------93---------200

I don't know if the Banshee bars would work because I've never tried them. However, looking at a side by side comparison those are some big differences in height and raise. You reported that you have raisers. I would be concerned that your brake cable wouldn't be long enough if you went with the banshee bars.
  3. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSchrodt02,

It came out fine on my end, thanks for the info.
  4. DSchrodt02

DSchrodt02 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Did the Banshee Bars work?
  5. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't ordered yet. I'm hoping to avoid the ~$157 for the stock BMW bars with something that's also an upgrade. I suppose I *could* order the Renthal fat bars and riser kit that RR offers, but their stock status wouldn't get me back on the road in time for a planned trip in early November (Fat Bar risers are 4-6 weeks out...the bars are the 609 you mention above and are in-stock). Part of the issue is that I want to avoid having to re-route or get different cables, so I'm looking for as close to "stock" as possible.
  6. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you look at any handlebar website, you will see that the measurements are taken just as I have done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look at the diagrams above, you will see that the sweep measurement is taken perpendicular to the "Rise" section of the bar, and the Height & Rise are taken in the same plane as the rise section.
    I.E. - The correct way to measure the sweep IS to clamp the bar with the front of the bar (clamp & Rise sections) laying on a flat surface.

The angle of the control section (outer limbs) of the bars varies WILDLY based upon the differences in Height, Rise, and Sweep.
    It would be impossible to standardize upon that angle and have ANY hope of being able to directly compare the different bends in any meaningful way.

Richarde1605 and fbga like this.
  7. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    I would definitely recommend upgrading to aluminum bars versus replacing with another set of stock steel bars.
    A properly designed aluminum bar is both stronger, and at the same time more flexible and vibration absorbing than a steel bar.

I just got done mounting my new ProTaper SE - Trials High bar (#025311) on my WeeGee, along with the 30mm spacers I had installed under the clamps with the stock bars.
    The "Trials High" bar from ProTaper is 815mm Wide, 113mm High, and with a Sweep of 49mm.

After getting them installed, I took a short (1 hour) spin on some local twisty and bumpy roads yesterday.
    With the added width/leverage the steering felt much lighter overall.
    It was much easier to lean the bike into a curve, or transition from one to the next; and the bars were more stable when hitting mid-corner bumps.
    The designed-in flexibility also showed with less shock transmitted through to my hands compared to riding the same roads with the original stock bars on the bike.
    I did still notice a bit buzzing, but I do not currently have the bar end weights or BarkBusters reinstalled because I am waiting for the threaded inserts for the ends of the new bars to arrive.

I had no issues with the brake hose, but the clutch cable is a bit tight on my bike, though still works properly.

ProTaper Bar 01.jpg

As far as selecting a bend, it is mostly down to personal preference, of course, but generally:
    A wider/flatter bar is going to give better leverage and control off-road, while a slightly narrower and more backswept bar is usually preferred for cruising.

It seems to me that BMW opted for a bit more of a street-oriented bend for the G310GS stock bar.
    When I rode my bike off-road with the stock bars it felt like it was trying to yank the bars from my hands on every rock, and my wrists were turned inward making me tuck my elbows in which didn't help with leverage. Not to mention them bending like warm butter when I dropped the bike...

As was mentioned above, the Renthal Banshee bars do have more than an inch of extra sweep compared to the stock handlebars, so you need to decide whether that larger bar angle will affect your wrists and overall comfort.

ALSO, the clamp area definitely IS something to keep an eye on!
    The bars I just installed are listed as having a clamp area of 173mm, yet just look at how little leeway I had with the stock clamp.
    It may be difficult to see from this angle, but the top clamp took up ALL of the flat section -- and then some.

ProTaper Bar 02.jpg

YMMV...
    fbga likes this.
  8. DSchrodt02

DSchrodt02 Adventurer

Oddometer:

You're probably right, I should have measured them "taken perpendicular to the "Rise" section of the bar" or how the video shows. Measured at the top height where I'm looking ruffly at the bottom of the controls as you have pictured (Great for standing though). I should not measure where they sit on the bike or where Renthal pictures in the bottom left. Looks to be perpendicular to the forks which are on an angle to the ground. I'm not arguing your measurements, but people should know that's not how it sits on the bike.

IMG_2272.JPG
  9. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    As a Mechanical Engineer and former Draftsman, the "supposed" side-view in the Renthal Works Fit application really makes me cringe.

The problem is that the other two views are shown as normal or perpendicular to the fork tubes/top-clamp, and then on the "side-view" they rotate the axis of the fork tubes to be out of plane with either the top or front views.
    No engineer would do that!

It completely messes with what the other two views are trying to show.
    And again, is not very helpful, IMHO because the actual fork angle varies from bike-to-bike, as does the amount of rotation in the clamps depending upon the preferences of the owner.

For standing, I actually prefer to have my bars rotated slightly forward.
    It gets my weight farther over the front wheel, it is easier to stand against the wind/motion of the bike leaning slightly forward, and the bars are then angled up slightly at the end which matches better with the angle of my wrist joint and grip angle.

Ask any shooter, and they will tell you the importance of knowing what your natural grip angle is.
    Moving from a 1911 to a Glock will throw your shot placement all to hell.
    I am a natural with the 18-deg grip angle of a 1911 or S&W-M&P, but suck with a Glock with the more severe 22-deg grip angle.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  10. OPNYD

OPNYD Not good; but I’m better than I was...

Oddometer:

Yeppy - I’ve been thinking about that, Jenny. I like the round light for sure. Those side panels are definitely not scrambleresque by any stretch of the imagination so they’re gonna go. Just need to sort how to disguise some of the hardware/wire/detritus they’re covering. I’m not happy with the “seat line” either but I’m not quite ready for a subframe-ectomy.

Yet.

Stay tuned....
    JMo (& piglet) and Richarde1605 like this.
  11. OPNYD

Oddometer:

FYI I have (new) stock take-off bars from my 310GS. They’re yours if you wanna pay for the shipping from Michigan. I converted to Protapers before I ever rode it. The PT Adventure High Bends are great but there’s a bit of fettling to get the cables sorted.

Fettling (v): an activity aimed at motorbike improvement involving scotch whisky and a few choice words for the engineers.
    Richarde1605 and MadVenTur7 like this.
  12. OPNYD

Oddometer:

Excellent analysis! Hmmm....I did not know the grip angle difference between a 1911 & Glock. I’m gonna have a discussion with a few of my fellow sidearm peeps.
    Richarde1605 and BMWzenrider like this.
  13. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:

PM sent! This community is AWESOME!
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. Michona

Michona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a semi-linguist, I appreciate the many technical terms used on this forum being defined (e.g. preload), but I feel that that certain lubricants are neglected. I, for one, have no clue which whiskey, nor which Gin, is appropriate when working on a 310GS...
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  15. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    Given that this bike is built in India, I would have to say Bombay Sapphire...

:photog:jkam:beer
  16. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    I also have the pro taper se high bend 7/8"

To me they looked nearly identical to oem when compared off the bike. With some 30mm risers I sit more comfortably and can go MUCH longer distances before monkey butt sets in.

I ordered from fortnine.ca and guessed which bend by what forum members were using. I wish I knew more about each and the benefits/disadvantages of each bend. Hard to find that info anywhere.
    MadVenTur7 likes this.
  17. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at the specs it does appear that the “Trials High Bend” is a good fit for the 310GS. Better than the “CR High Bend”.
    The extra width, height and specially the length of the controls area (206mm on the Trials High versus only 186mm on the CR High) of the Trials High should make it a very good replacement.
    I replaced my handlebar recently, after bending the throttle side but might give the Trials High a try because my controls are a bit cramped and the levers are pointing a bit up. Nothing that interferes with the handling but your post got me curious now.
    MadVenTur7 likes this.
  18. OPNYD

Oddometer:

I vote yes for any/all lubricants!

87B011D3-A4E5-41EE-A445-A07D04C2036E.jpeg - and PS Michona I attached a pic of the BMW Venture Grip boot. I couldn’t figure out how to attach in our conversation.
  19. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    Blue/lime looks better here than on bmw promos.

instagram @g310gschile

B588C132-1B5F-4553-BB8C-42BFC2EDE711.jpeg
    1suffolkmare likes this.
  20. stevetheb

stevetheb mashed potatoes

Oddometer:
    Well, it's supposed to be 21 degrees this AM, so my riding season is mostly over with a shift to continuing winter prep. We might not be in Montana, but we did get a little September snow. I put 10K on the bike this summer, and it has been a good one. I haven't really done much else other than the RR lvl2 kit, I might take off the rear fender this winter. I did get a switch installed for handlebar mounted USB and 12v outlets. You can squeeze a toggle switch in the plastic under the seat on the right, where the frame comes together under your leg. It is a pain in the ass getting the washer on, but is pretty incognito with a rubber boot.

Spotted an RR at the dealership too!
    IMG_20190825_072917.jpg Reservoir at Blue River
    IMG_20190825_103345.jpg
    Wolf Rock

IMG_20191005_100229.jpg new S1000RR
    joker-b and randypower like this.