BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While on my way to the Void Rally start in Bethlehem, PA, a G310GS crossed my path at a stoplight a bit west of Allentown on old US 22. Rider wearing a yellow Hi-Viz jacket.
  2. KeystoneDrifter

KeystoneDrifter Buy the ticket, take the ride..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like me, but I haven't been out since this past weekend! Must be my doppelganger.....
  3. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple pics from last weekend, right before the little crash...

[​IMG]
    IMG_5247.jpg

IMG_5250.jpg
    [​IMG]
  4. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And the consequences...

IMG_5256.jpg

[​IMG]
    joker-b likes this.
  5. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    Any "consequences" on you?:)
    That's what matters!
    joker-b likes this.
  6. mikes'gs

mikes'gs what R U looking at Supporter

Oddometer:
    pic arent showing..for me anyways
    Captain Lew likes this.
  7. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Ditto
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    Leftover from the early snows in SK. 84891BE9-10E3-434A-858B-27C51AA71740.jpeg 4063AED2-F50B-493E-878A-076B0B816993.jpeg 6E166124-AFFA-4A9B-8D97-7EED71871362.jpeg FC83F957-EDE2-4739-B45E-BA2A6393C6DA.jpeg
  9. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    A little top-box surprise... I had a spare Givi monolock universal plate so I borrowed the topcase from my scooter for the G310GS for a couple of weeks. It was a bit of a chore to find a good fit but finally got it on, and it worked fine until, a couple of days ago, I needed to get something out from under the seat -- the Givi plate covered it by juuust a couple of millimeters, so to open the seat required a toolkit to get to ... my toolkit! :D Guess I'll need to find some other kind of locking storage, heh.
  10. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Any chance of adjusting the plate? I had a Givi E300N2 monolock case and it had absolutely no clearance issues. I did have to do a slight modification of the mounting grid to get it to match the GS's bolt holes. Presently running a Monokey plate - again no issues.

I no longer have the pics on my phone or backed up, but I do remember posting them in this forum somewhere around early 2018. What I had to do was remove one of the vertical webs from the honeycomb and connect the two holes to make an elongated slot - I could then get the mounting bolts to match the rack's holes. IIRC, the two front holes (nearest the seat) matched the plate's holes and I had to mod the two rear ones.
    joker-b likes this.
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Pretty soon the roads around here in southern Oregon/northern California are going to get icy, and the bike will go back on the battery tender. But until then...

IMG_0053.jpeg IMG_0056.jpeg IMG_0057.jpeg IMG_0059.jpeg
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
  14. HodSpeed

HodSpeed n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all!

A month ago I got the 310gs as my first motorbike. I went on my first off road adventure with some friends at Salisbury Plain and had a great time!

Here's some pics

IMG_20191013_112121.jpg

IMG_20191013_120000.jpg

IMG_20191013_124211.jpg

IMG_20191013_132304.jpg

IMG_20191013_142900.jpg

I did lay it down a couple of times but only lost a reflector.

Happy to join the thread!

Jordan
  15. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Deer Me!

We’ve lived in North Georgia for onto twenty years now, and I finally found a deer I could hit...

I hit a deer with my Baby GS two weeks ago. No crash, mercifully. A deer, a small one about twenty pounds mebbe, came out of the forest to my left - two lane road, ditch and then forest - and I had sufficient room to brake and maneuver; I was just pulling the slack out of the front brake to slow in order to avoid his likely companions when another one, bigger, about thirty inches tall, forty pounds I would guess, came hell bent for death from the left at a forth-five degree angle to the roadway. It looked like I could pass ahead of him by accelerating, but a Baby GS loafing at four grand does not accelerate with vigor, needless to say. The whole event took mebbe two seconds, no time to downshift. If I had slowed at all, the deer would have ended up right in front of the front wheel...

The deer hit my left lower leg with one hell of a painful, to put it mildly, whallop. I think I hit his rib cage. The deer never touched the bike at all, to my knowledge. It disappeared - folks ask me what happened to the deer; I don’t know and I was ‘way too occupied with other matters, like gritting my teeth. The pain tapered off in a few minutes, it it raised a hematoma half the size of my fist. I iced it and it was gone the next day, but the deer slightly remodeled my leg.

The bike never wavered, wobbled or misbehaved. My leg likely absorbed some of the impact energy, but it transferred most of it to the chassis, which performed flawlessly. likely the deer ran off on adrenaline, and died somewhere.

Good story, good ending. I am most grateful.
  17. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Why, in the name of all that's holy, do they do that? As you noted, we usually are concerned with other matters at the time.

Glad that you're OK.
  18. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @rwiles I'm glad you are ok, and it's good to know the bike was stable in the incident. How fast do you estimate you were going at the time of impact?
  19. Zaph

Zaph Former Roadracer

Oddometer:
    Just got the recall letter about the calipers today. Right at the top it says Remedy Unavailable. But interestingly it sounds like they have a temporary fix in the form of a "temporary brake caliper replacement" which presumably will hold us over until we get the final brake caliper replacement.

I wonder what the heck the temporary caliper is. Anyone get a temporary caliper installed? Is it a garbage caliper or something that's not worthy to keep installed?

Attached Files:

joker-b likes this.
  20. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    Basically, theyre dumb. Here were a pair of young ones running straight down the traffic lane, back in the spring: I couldn't figure out f they were turkeys, dgs, children, what at first -- one went past on either side of me

I got the recall notice about a "temporary fix" for the calipers, too. They must be short on parts.