BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    I eaven have the repair and maintenance manual from BMW, and still don't get it. Unfortunattely the service manual is so confusing that I don't have much use of it. Sometimes I manage to understand the construction with the help of the repair manual together with MaxBMW Motorcycle's fiche.
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brilliant!
  3. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?!?!?!?!?

All that I've been able to find is the CD manual for the "R" version.
    hasselman likes this.
  4. hasselman

Oddometer:
    I ordered it from a German company selling Mini and BMW spares. https://www.leebmann24.de/
    Price was somthing like € 75 - 80. It's genuine BMW service and repair manual. Has to be installed on a computer. It has a function for updating online. I also has a GS-911, that I bought for my R1200GS R.I.P.
  5. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    That's just what I did, thanks!

A wood chisel made short work of the vertical bit and I drilled a hole through the remaining "floor" since the bolt holes were nearly dead center. Ten minutes and back in business. Here's a pic, should anyone ever need to mount a Givi Monolock "universal" rack on a g310gs (or R1000?) in the future.

rps20191021_122951.jpg
    MichaelJ likes this.
  6. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I am thinking about trading my Ducati Desert Sled for a 310gs. I went from the Honda Cb500x RR to the Ducati because I wanted more power...at least I thought that's what I needed, lol. Anyway, the guys I ride / rode with are all on HD's and I just don't like to stop mat every bar to have a beer when I ride, so I haven't ridden with them in over a year. The Cbx was a good bike in the RAlley Raid form and ok as stock. I'm only 5'6" with a 29" inseam and I have never felt comfortable on my Ds. I like it and its easy on the eyes but I don't love it. My local Ducati dealer is the BMW dealer and tomorrow my salesman is supposed to give me a price on a trade. I know I am going to loose my ass, but what good is a bike you don't ride. I had more fun on my old TW200 and CBX than any of my big cc bikes and I like the looks of the babyGS , Im going small again. Plus at 55 yrs old, it is hard to muscle a 467 lb bike around off road. Sad thing is the dealer won't sell any 310's until the fix is out. I also pointed out that in MN, the BMW dealer is quoting new 2019 s310GS' for $3995 , so he had better sharpen his pencil. I already have a set of TKC 80 tires that will fit the gs so maybe they will make me an offer i can't refuse.
  7. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Try a fully loaded Tiger Explorer 1200 at 74 years of age. I love my Baby GS - although it is a tall puppy - taller than the TEx (28" inseam here).

I'm not a serious dirt rider, but it's pure pleasure tootling down dirt roads and forest fire roads.
    OPNYD and Captain Lew like this.
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    That DOES look familiar. :D
    joker-b likes this.
  9. OPNYD

OPNYD Not good; but I’m better than I was...

Oddometer:

Wow. How do you DO that!?
    I wish I was that organized - and I say that with all due respect!

I have spots on my garage floor for the screws... I just put ‘em back in depending on the Teutonic engineers’ layers of plastic. 1 layer: short. 2 layers: medium/long (depending on what’s leftover....but I digress...). 3 layers: squeeze the layers to a fare-thee-well and hope to get a few threads started....

Ah well. It’s all good.

Except premature male baldness.

YMMV.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  10. OPNYD

Oddometer:

You will not be disappointed. If you can score a GS for $4K it is golden. Do the Rally Raid kit, ProTapers, Barkbusters and an aftermarket exhaust (not for sound; just jettison the 12lb. stock exhaust turd...) and you’ve a 350ish pound lovely bike. It’s not a Katoom but that’s OK. I’m too cheap to pay $10K for a four-fiddy dirt weapon.

As someone on the north end of 60 I can say you will enjoy it. Easy to pick up if it takes a dirt nap. And it’s fun to ride a slow bike fast! I’ve had multiple fast bikes and it doesn’t speak to me like this one does.

YMMV..
  11. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    All Hail the Mighty TW200. I love mine, but need just enough more power to slab safely. The 310 fits that bill.
    OPNYD and MichaelJ like this.
  12. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    Result: stronger than before!

bjorke_Cow_XT1A5106.jpg
  13. hasselman

Oddometer:
    Me too :-) In fact I'm terrible dis-organized. Yesterday I eaven accused my wife for steeling my best small screwdriver. As she was the only one around (except for me), it must have been her. Then I found the screwdriver under a pile of other tools. How she managed to put it back, I can't understand, she never entered the garage yesterday. I appologized to her, in my mind. Luckily I never pronounced my accusations out loud :shog If I had, I might have had to sleep on the couch, ouch!:dirtdog
    I put the bolts in that tray after I got curious about how many it takes to undress the G319GS. At first they were in a pile in a small magnetic bowl. I didn't count them all, there was some 10-12 left on the bike, but it seems to be around 60 bolts.
    Two of the left-overs (M6) are from the front indicators. I lost the nuts, so I replaced them with M5 bolts innstead.
  14. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    The second time I took the front plastics off (the first was just a magnetic parts bowl). I learn slowly, but I do learn.

[​IMG]
    Captain Lew likes this.
  15. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went by the BMW dealer today and sat on the Baby GS. With the regular seat, I felt I could put my feet on the ground better than my Ducati. Also the weight savings was very noticeable. The salesman is supposed to shoot me a trade number soon ,and when he might be able to actually sell one. I guess its good for me , I can list my bike for sale on the internet and probably get $1500 more. One thing I noticed today, and it happens a lot for me, is when I swing my leg over a bike , I get a cramp in my hips. If I stand on the side stand and mount, it usually doesn't happen. Good thing they beefed up the side stand mount.
  16. OPNYD

Oddometer:

Har Har Har....
  17. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
  18. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A great day today in the Ouachita Forest in Central Arkansas.
    Beats a good day at work E5159181-5531-4969-A5A0-E867BC560FC8.jpeg
    W8NONU, Bhart89, BMWzenrider and 7 others like this.
  19. ReXTless

ReXTless n00b

Oddometer:
    That MN dealer you mentioned is only a few miles from my house. I got one of their 310s for $3,995. Sick deal!
  20. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    It’s almost 2020 and we still waiting for a KTM 390ADV. Two weeks to EIMCA. The wait will be over not that the KTM 390 will manifest but that I will pull the trigger on something maybe even two a less than 300 and a 500-700.
    When u damn near 70 this waiting crap really sucks
    joker-b likes this.