BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a 15 tooth from Gateway BMW and they got a spare for stock too. Mark is the parts guy I talked to. It should be in Tuesday, maby tomorrow.
    314-427-9090.
    Edit my 15 tooth is in and they ordered 3 and all are spoken for. They will get more no doubt. FYI 12-7-19, tomorrow, is their open house. 10am to 3pm.
  2. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    150/70
  3. HorakCM

HorakCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at low cost hard luggage options for general utility purposes, right now I'm between the Shad SH23 and discussing pricing with a Chinese manufacturer for some no-name aluminum panniers. The Shad setup is probably my favorite for the unobtrusive mounts, light weight, and price- which is less than half the cost for the least expensive equivalent Givi setup.

For anything beyond summer highway trips and light duty offroading, any hard luggage would probably come off in exchange for the big duffel and Kreiga setup I used on the MABDR. (Pic related)

Screenshot_20191206-125752_Instagram.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any other wallet-friendly side case options, and also if anyone could share their experiences with Shad top cases or panniers.
  4. Jbrjbr21

Oddometer:
    so this was the E07 plus? or did you find some leftover E07s
    thats why I went with the 140-80 to get a regular E07.
  5. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called MArk and he said he would have 3 more tuesday and would send me one. He's a hell of a lot nicer than my local BMW parts man.
    Jbrjbr21 likes this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Tusk aluminum cases?
    Pelican case copies from Harbor Freight?
    LewisNClark likes this.
  7. Little General

Oddometer:
    When I sold my Ducati DS , I removed the TKC80 tires I had on it and today I put them on my 310gs. The front tire is a 120/70-19 and the rear is a 170/60-17. They fit with no problems. I put balance beads inside them and ran the bike up to 67 mph, that's all she would do into the wind and felt no vibrations. Yes they are not quite as smooth riding as the stock tires but my driveway is long and gravel so the bike is more stable there as well as riding in my pastures. Plus they look awesome. bmw bike.jpg
    Jbrjbr21 likes this.
  8. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The original was the E07 Dakar, with the identifying yellow stripe around the tread. The replacement was the sadly-lacking E07 regular, with a different tread pattern, and short tire life, prolly ending up at 8k, versus at least 16k from the Dakar. The regular E07 was twelve bucks less than the Dakar; false economy.
  9. hasselman

hasselman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remounted a Mitas E-07 Dakar in the rear. I had to wrestle hard to get the tyre mounted on the rim. It felt like trying to mount a 16" tyre on a 17" rim. As somebody (was it JMo?) wrote earlier, the Mitas tyres are realy stiff. It probably didn't help that I had about 7*C in my garage.
    E07_rear_pop.JPG
    I had to use a cargo ribbon to get the tyre to pop up on the bead. The tyre is marked M+S (mud and snow) and I expected it to be softer than the Tourance. It wasn't.:dirtdog I used this tyre with screw studs last winter on my R1200GS (R.I.P :muutt). The front tyre was destroyed in the crash a year ago :2cry so I put a Mitas E-10 in the front. The E-10 was suposed to get studs last year, but I studded an E-07 instead.

tyre_tools.JPG
    Theese are my tyre changeing tools. The jack is used with the table to break the bead, the clamps to hold the tyre in the midle, the cardbaordbox on the right side of the tyre holds balancing tools used with the jack stands.
    mb_ironi.JPG
    Pst! (Whispering) Don't tell anybody, specialy my bike Otto, what brand of tyre irons I used :brow
  10. Little General

Oddometer:
    I took my tires/rims to my local car tire dealer and paid $10 to do both tires. They used a regular tire machine.
  11. hasselman

Oddometer:
    Bah! :ksteve You're no real hard core advrider :doh. I even hit my thumb with a big rubber mallet. It hurt! :becca:(:
  12. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes changing my own tires goes as smooth as warm butter and other times can be a real PITA. Either way I like changing my own. It's not a money saving reason but time saving and the satisfaction knowing I've done it. I'm also much more meticulous about the balancing than someone I'd pay.
  13. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can always leave the grunt work to someone with hydraulics and balance them yourself after. I can change a tire, but have reached the point in life where I've stopped beating myself up.
    OPNYD, mikes'gs, BMWzenrider and 3 others like this.
  14. Little General

Oddometer:
    I hear you MJ. I screwed with the rear tire for over an hour before I gave up. I used my tire hammer and held it on the bead with a 2x4 under the other side and put the bucket of my mini excavator on the hammer and pushed down to break the bead. I have no idea how to break a bead without a special tool unless I ride the flat until it comes off the rim. I get satisfaction from working on my bikes too, sometimes it watching a tire machine spin the tire off onto the ground. I did my Ducati tires in under an hour and it had tubes but this baby gs kicked my ass.
  15. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some like it, some don't. To me changing my own is more convenient.
    I get what you're saying Michael.
  16. Jbrjbr21

Oddometer:
    put the 15 tooth sprocket on and top speed stayed the same. 82 mph 9k rpms in 6th now. Horsepower is still the same so not surprised. Mark at gateway bmw ordered 3 more sprockets if anyone is looking for one.
    Im running a 140/80 rear E07 so my rpms are less than stock tire.
    Jeepster360 likes this.
  17. usgeese

usgeese Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I now have a service reminder on my dash. I have looked under the seat for the port for the ga911 and I can’t find it. Is it under one of the body panels near the fuel tank and if so, which side?
  18. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is under the seat behind the battery. It is an OBD2 plug, not the old round BMW plugs.

Regards,

Ken
  19. hasselman

Oddometer:
    usegeese: If you have a GS-911 with a round connector, you need to order an adapter from HEX Code or a reseller. With the adapter you get access to the bike's electronics.
  20. usgeese

usgeese Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks for the heads-up. I do have the old one with the round head.