BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    Very sorry! And *whew*

I suggest you get the KTM so someone here can have informed opinions about both :)

It looks like a good bike from TV, but doubt it's at dealers for some time.
    Jeepster360 and cyclopathic like this.
  2. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride today after a 10 day hiatus for braky fixie. High fifties, electrics slightly on - those HippoHands reviewed in the BMW ON last year are the cats fanny. Last winter, prolly a low in the low thirties for the winter, I never used my heated glove liners or heavy gloves, just some Amazon unlined gauntlets or my deer skin summer gloves, and heated grips. I forget the brand, but it’s the one with five levels and the controls made a part of the left heated grip itself, hot as hades, 150 degrees wide open, which thirty degree weather, even inside the HippoHands still air, sucks up right smartly.

Never had a decent fall this year. Big September drought killed the colors and all the colors are variations on rust.
  3. Jeepster360

Jeepster360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have the 15 tooth. It is much better with that sprocket for sure. Better mapping would be welcome.

John
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's gonna be another year before it shows up in showrooms. He might as well get 650GS or X-Country to get by.
    joker-b likes this.
  5. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    Well my plan is to buy another 310gs. It does everything I need it to. I'm not hard core ADV like many of you. I would like to do the Idaho BDR just to say I did it. The KTM is on my radar.

How reliable is that 390 motor? Ktm seems to be high maintenance for most of their bikes. I need to check on the warranty also.

I like the 310gs a lot. Most likely that is what I will buy again.

John
    W8NONU and cyclopathic like this.
  6. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    glad you're ok
    Jeepster360 likes this.
  7. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I felt very embarrassed on the side of the road, then relief as I walked to pick up the bike and felt stupid all the way home.

John
  8. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At least you didn't have witnesses. Every time I screw up, there's usually at least one witness.

As noted - glad that you're around to write about it - sorry about the bike. What was it that caused the bike to be totaled? Frame damage?
  9. mikes'gs

mikes'gs what R U looking at Supporter

Oddometer:
    everything is fine!!!
  10. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be much easier to find stuff if there were separate threads on specific issues and questions.
  11. mikes'gs

mikes'gs what R U looking at Supporter

Oddometer:
    newbs:hide
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way insurance works you're almost guaranteed bike will be totalled. The friend of mine had his Aprilia knocked down in parking lot and it was a complete write-off cost of plastics and replacement frame due to scratch plus labor pushed costs into 75% territory. He ended up buying bike back, replacing blinker and gluing plastics back with superglue..
  13. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    Front forks were dinged on rt lower leg, handle bars, mirror, turn signal, plastic, muffler shield and rear foot peg/muffler sub frame. The swingarm had a gouge and the rear rim from a 3-4 inch rock it laned on. I was told the rim was $900..

You could have replaced the plastic and the rear rim, turn signal, bars and mirror. Bent the exhaust/footpeg hanger back. It wasnt that bad otherwise. One dump on a gravel road.

John
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should buy it back from insurance and use money to get RallyRaid kit
    Crash217, MichaelJ and Richarde1605 like this.
  15. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    I thought about something like that. Problem is I'm cash poor at the moment. In the closing stages of buildin /buying a house and it is bleeding me dry. I dont need a bike for this winter. I think they took the bmw back already anyways.

John
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look who's talking, Mr. 2013...
    :deal

:hide

:evil
  17. Zaph

Zaph Former Roadracer

Oddometer:
    Ugh, stay away. The 390, at least how it has been used in the RC390 and the Duke is one of the most troublesome KTM products in a long time. They overheat, stall, and occasionally just grenade themselves. Great power, great fun and actually a good bike for the right person with the right expectations but I wouldn't want to take it on a long trip.

Sometimes I think that the good engineers at KTM are put on the MX dirt bikes but the street bikes don't get the attention they need.
  18. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    The 390 engine is my biggest concern. The stalling is most likely fuel or electrical. The engine itself does not seem to hold up that well from what I can find. You would hope that would be addressed by now. If it had a 3 year warranty like the BMW 310 I might feel more confident in it.

John
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to defend 390 but you must have never owned BMW F/G Rotax thumper and P-twin bikes with their stalling issues.. due to random TPS resets.
  20. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    I had a 310gs. It liked to stall on take off or going slow, slow. It just doesn't have much at idle, just off idle. The 15 tooth sprocket helped a lot. I'm hoping BMW has done something with the ecu programming to help this. Personally I think it is just too lean just off idle. Emissions regulation suck.

John