BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    C3F4702F-6AFF-4921-86B3-8F305DFB4FFF.jpeg 02D8D45C-1CA6-46B6-8056-DCDFCAA960CB.jpeg 16E37FD8-99DB-4ACF-8074-E0563B9E1D51.jpeg
    Ron Wardman and WoodWorks like this.
  2. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    manybike...I rented a Versys 300 last week and did some gravel and paved roads around Townsend, TN. IMO the 310 is better everywhere. The Versys has two advantages IMO....A. Better wind protection and B. The Versys would win a pure drag race by a little bit. BUT the Versys didn't make good power until the revs hit about 8,000 rpms. From 8,000 to redline (12,000) it pulled relatively well but when off road the lack of torque at lower rpms really was a disadvantage. The other thing that surprised me a little bit was the width of the Versys between my ankles...I guess being a "twin", it has to be a little wider but I really noticed the width of the cases between my feet as well as the width of the swingarm pivot which was about the same as the cases. Not a big deal as far in the big picture...it was just a little less comfortable than the 310 for me. Oh yea a third thing...the Versys 300 has more fuel capacity and therefore more range but I need to get off of the bike occasionally and move around to prevent locking up with my arthritis anyway.

The 310 pulls much better in the lower/mid rpm range and the handling and ride off road is better with the 310 because you have a lot more suspension travel. The handling on pavement is about equal. The damping of what travel the Versys has is a little better than the 310 but I bottomed out the Versys constantly when riding over fairly small bumps and I am about 200 lbs with gear on. IMO I'd say the 310 is better in every way except the wind protection and a pure drag race and the little wind screen on the 310 works a lot better than I expected and the 310 is easier to ride due to the increased torque in the low/mid rpms.
    manybike and BMWzenrider like this.
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those that require wire wheels the Kawi will save you a lot of money.
    manybike likes this.
  4. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, until you factor in the first service @ $1000...
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    the Kawi service is $1,000? I thought the BMW was the expensive valve adjust.
    manybike likes this.
  6. GreatNorthRider

GreatNorthRider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You really have to question the cost of these services for the X300 and the 310! It is costing almost 20% of the cost of the bike’s MSRP!
    manybike likes this.
  7. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really prefer mag wheels over spoke due the ease of fixing a flat tire. I have always felt that if you bend a mag you are probably using the wrong bike for the type of riding you are doing. I have had some hard hits over the years but never bent a wheel. Of course I am sure there are plenty of stories to the contrary...maybe I have been just lucky.
    Cycleruss likes this.
  8. manybike

Oddometer:
    You mean the 310 is also at the $1000 mark for a valve check ?? I am just having my X300 done and the estimate was less than half of that. Of course I brought the bike in pretty much stripped down so I do not pay shop rate to remove and replace body work. I can see the VX being expensive due twin cylinder with double the valves...but a single like the 310 should not be as much.
  9. manybike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed review Sr56, I appreciate it. I now have a choice (first world problems) to go 310GS or KTM 390 Adv. I have previously owned a 390 Duke so I know what the power is like, and, they are a punchy engine. I do like KTM but the 390 I am looking at is $2k more money. The question is...will I have $2k more fun riding it ? from my past experience..probably not. I think the wind protection on the 310 can be mitigated with a taller windshield, which I have seen in some photos. thanks for the input !
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always wanted the KTM but got the BMW cuz of a deal. I haven’t regretted it and it’s a lot of fun. I added a taller screen which helped with the wind but added noise.
    51F5A9CC-55F0-4D5D-9230-FDFEED9D234A.jpeg
    Ron Wardman likes this.
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    DSC01963.jpg

I passed 20,000 miles on this afternoon's ride. Still having too much fun on this bike. Only two things have gone wrong with it (so far): The battery failed, and the kickstand had to be replaced (under recall). Neither left me stranded or inconvenienced, and both were taken care of during regular service.

No regrets about buying it. Those 20,000 miles have been a blast.
    Ron Wardman, ByProxy, RileyM and 4 others like this.
  12. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I have a g659gs sertao and an r1200GS. Both need wheels trued almost every other year. Sometimes, every year. I do alot of backcountry touring.. Both have spokes...last year, I sheared the frame bolts on the sertao.. Of course, I don't ride the wife's g310gs at all.... she'd kill me if I bent it all up. :dirtdog but glad it came with the rally raid uogrades.
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a battery fail under warranty. After replacement it wasn’t charging so I had the stator replaced under warranty. Of course the brakes were fine under warranty before delivery.
  14. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, at least it was when I had my 300X about 2 years ago. It’s a 600 or 900 mile service and I was quoted $970. I’m not sure if warranty is voided if you don’t do the dealer service. In my area, the BMW 310 gs service was about $350, much more reasonable in my opinion.
  15. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are very welcome on the info.

The show stopper for me on any KTM is they require 91 or higher PON fuel...and some of the places I ride, it is not available.

I own a KTM 250 XCF-W and it is awesome if I want to go fast off road :-).
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    that’s just crazy and I suspect some gouging. First service, break-in or whatever shouldn’t be a deal breaker. My Harley was like $3-400. My BMW was a demo so it was done before I took delivery. Even my Ducati the first one was reasonable. Then 6k, 18k & 30k we’re high. 12k, 24k & 36k were outrageous.

I have also heard that the BMW G310 valves don’t need much adjusting. So maybe just pay for the first one then run it into the ground.
    Jthewood, manybike and RileyM like this.
  17. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Challenge accepted.
    Jthewood likes this.
  18. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    regarding first service and dealers....

I have first hand knowledge than many dealers have the mechanics quickly uncrate the bikes and assemble them to get them on the floor quickly. They bypass many of the recommended torque settings, etc. Knowing the bike will be back for the 1000km service AND they know it is under BMW warrenty. At which time they go over the bike and tighten and check all the frame bolts, wheels, etc...

Not all dealers do this and you will of course get denials from them, but i know of at least 2 here in my area that do this.

Especially true during the busy season.
  19. Ron Wardman

Ron Wardman Beemerguy

Oddometer:
    So sad for him that having happened. I’ve traded with him since 1980
  20. manybike

Oddometer:
    It seems to be common that after the first valve set many motors rarely go out of spec after that. This is anecdotal theory. The 310 has 20k km intervals which is not too bad. The Versys 300 is 12k km and the 390 Adv is 15k km. Really leaning to the 310 as a replacement for my VX 300.
    Oilhed likes this.