BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So ,when I had my Kawi 2 years ago, it was the first red one in my area. They were new and popular and I chose it over the BMW because of the wire spoked wheels and my plan to ride the NM BDR. When I found out about the $1k service, I shopped around and didn't find much variation in the price. I didn't like the Kawi much on the BDR and I regret not getting the BMW. The 310 doesn't have LOADS of torque, but what it has, it uses well. Also, in mighty KLR style, a countershaft gear change gives you a decent highway rider. The Kawi has NO torque and its wound out at 75mph, without luggage.
    Ultimately, i traded the Kawi for a Husky Fe350s, no highway bike, but an amazing enduro. I'd love to add a 310 if it's in the cards.
    From the NMBDR in 2018.

Attached Files:

2. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the perfect 310 GS for you...and it is only 1,300 miles from Albuquerque to Pensacola :imaposer.
    Jthewood likes this.
  3. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update....
    Bike was taken to the BMW dealer in Memphis on September 15. They were 3 weeks behind schedule but were able to look at it as promised. Per BMW warranty they replaced both cams and 4 rocker arms but there is still noise. They are going to check the valves to see if the noise will stop. If that doesn't work they will have to start another warranty claim with BMW. This is as of today October 20. I'll post any new information.
    Berzerk likes this.
  4. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problems with my '19....yet but I only have 2,580 miles on mine.

Izzy...how many miles on your bike when it started making sounds?
  5. Zaph

Zaph Former Roadracer

Oddometer:
    You guys keep talking about $1000 service costs on these bikes and it's blowing my mind how dealers are screwing over people who are afraid to turn a wrench.

Some of you need to let this be your inspiration to take unscrupulous dealers out of the equation and start doing your own work. It's not hard. Look around, there's a youtube video for everything these days. Think of the satisfaction once you do it yourself.
  6. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3500 miles, I rode straight home and parked it when I first heard it. I don't think this is a sign of weakness in the 310 GS. This is my 3rd 310GS and the first time something like this has happened, just one of those freaky things I guess. Fortunately there are other bikes to ride so no need to rush the dealer on getting finished. It seems like the service manager appreciates when I call to check on it and am very patient about it. The dealer is 160 miles from my place so I'd like for them to take their time and get it right.
    Not a big deal.
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my G310. And it hasn’t been a lemon. But it’s not bulletproof. It certainly no air cooled Japanese single.
  8. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea but it does have some neat stuff that a lot of Jap bikes don't...like the ABS switch (Versys doesn't have it), the display has all kinds of info that I appreciate, one of the better power bands for a 300ish cc motor, reverse motor i.e. intake in the front and exhaust in the rear, etc. All those little details add up as far as cost to produce the bike so I think I got what I paid for :-).

I just want to meet the German engineer that designed the ergos...he has to be one strangely built dude :lol3....but you can fix it with a set of foot pegs and bar risers :D.
    Izzy58 likes this.
  9. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tubeless tires, liquid cooled, 6 speed trans.
    GsVs and Oilhed like this.
  10. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just had my 12k km valve check (Verysy 300) Total bill was $379.00 cad. I stripped most of the bodywork off before I took it in. Most expensive quote was about $800.00 cad. Choose your shop wisely.
    I agree $1000.00 usd is outrageous. Not sure why it would be so much more south of the border.
  11. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please keep us posted.
  12. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Think India. What is the statistical India person ergos are like compared to the statistical Euro/American.
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally installed my shiny new SW Motech smash plate.
    D565C1DE-FF15-448A-95D0-8EE7FB09E237.jpeg A90FD01D-95B7-41CF-AC19-78614320C0E6.jpeg B912001F-43E5-4BFB-A11F-A1E4DF5F70E7.jpeg
  14. manybike

Oddometer:
    Your 3rd 310GS ? what happened to the first two ?
  15. manybike

Oddometer:
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ztechnik
    manybike likes this.
  17. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First one was sold to my best employee at a deep discount.
    Second one I still own.
    Third one I still own and is the one in the shop.
    Getting up in years and most of my friends have aged out of motorcycling. I keep two of the 310's for when I can persuade one of my old buddies to go for a quick ride. The lighter weight is much easier to handle as we get older and weaker.
  18. manybike

Oddometer:
    Good on you ! Some of my friends simply do not ride anymore due they no longer feel confident on a 750-800 lb behemoth. I have suggested to them that you can ride a smaller much lighter bike and still have a lot of fun...the response is usually never positive, which makes me wonder why they rode in the first place.
  19. manybike

Oddometer:
    Also, what brand of centerstand is that ? , who sells them?
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    SW Motech. Twisted Throttle.
    BMWzenrider and manybike like this.