BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Very important addition, I think it will be the first thing I buy if a get a 310.
  2. O-Man

O-Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Applegate Valley, So. Oregon.
    Applegate Valley 2020.jpg
    Ron Wardman and WoodWorks like this.
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice screen. I guess I got the smaller one. The dark tint is just the small one and the clear is just the large one. Do you notice it wiggling at highway speeds?
  4. O-Man

O-Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that I have noticed.
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be why my Tiger Explorer 1200 is parked. Replaced with a Guzzi V85TT Adventure for long haul riding and a G310GS for local roads of indeterminate pavement quality.
    Really have to do something with the TEx - it's too nice a bike to just sit there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    manybike and WoodWorks like this.
  6. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweeeet....smart man. I wish I lived next door to YOU :lol3.

I went to sit on the first Tenere 700 in my area a couple days ago...man those things are BIG AND HEAVY. I was interested because I rode the MT-07 a while back and really like the engine. My buddies have always harassed me because I said there was a "rule" that any bike that left the pavement should weigh under 300 lbs but now I own a 310 GS and a DR650 that both weigh about 380. Of course I don't ride off road with the aggressiveness I did 10 years ago :D.

Oilhed...you were asking about windscreens vibrating, I have a "VStream Touring" screen from National Cycle and it moves a good bit at highway speeds. I ended up taking it off until the temps get cooler because I was getting hot riding in the summer since it blocks ALL the wind :lol2. I'll probably put it back on for the winter...if I don't sell the bike :-).

Anybody interested in a '19 310 GS? Price just dropped to $4,950 and it comes with a Seat Concepts seat (and the original seat), Dominator exhaust system, center stand, etc. Factory warranty through Feb 2022. Better than perfect. Only reason I am selling is the garage is over crowded and something has to go :(. More info and pics if you go back to post #9045. Located in Pensacola, FL.
    manybike likes this.
  7. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AliExpress (don’t laugh) sells the Sw-Motech center stand for $95+- Chinese sales are way down due to C-19..they’re desperate for sales, one seller was $85. Normally price on AliExp is $160+. Apparently a S Korean company makes all of the SwMotch center stands. One gamble is it may take 30+ days shipping time. I bought one last summer, Excellent quality...springs a bitch to install...included SW-M. manual and label, after a week took it off...just did not care for the extra weight/and is not compatible with RR engine guard/pan....compared to infrequent need, and sold it to an inmate here...

And as others have said...a kickstand foot of 3/8th of an inch makes a noticeable difference.
    manybike likes this.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    The springs are a bitch and when you get em on they don’t feel tight enough. But I use it all the time cuz the side stand is too long.
  9. manybike

Oddometer:
    Looks like your 310 has the Rally Raid wire wheels ?
  10. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Yes it does. Lovely little things. BARTubeless sealed rims.
    manybike likes this.
  11. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    OnCenterStand.jpg

+1 on the Chinese centerstand. Got this one from fellow inmate who was dissatisfied. I use it all the time, eliminates worry about tippy, upright angle of post recall kickstand.
  12. manybike

Oddometer:
    Is the Guzzi considerably lighter than the Triumph ? Sat on a V85TT the other day...very nice feeling bike.
  13. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your sidestand would be shorter without the fat-foot addition on it.
    OR, you could go to the extreme "lengths" I did (pun intended!)...

sidestand cut up.jpg sidestand finished 01.jpg sidestand finsished installed.jpg
    Surcease and manybike like this.
  14. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    About 150 lbs in road-going trim. Feels even lighter. The TEx seems to carry its weight at about shoulder level while the Goose's is somewhere around waist level. Not an issue while chucking down the road at speed, but very noticeable at a stop. Especially on a loose surface and even more so with my 28" inseam.

I AM having to relearn the gentle art of downshifting, though. Giving up 55HP is noticeable, and I got spoiled.
    manybike likes this.
  15. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Logging road about 20 miles west of Little Rock today.
    DB8E8D1C-FF87-4A29-929A-3606A0B8A712.jpeg
  16. manybike

Oddometer:
    150 lbs is a huge weight difference. When the Super Tenere 1200 first came out I was really considering it until I sat on one and immediately felt it's heft. Turns out it was close to 75 lbs heavier than my 07 non-abs BMW 1200GS, that weight difference was very noticeable.
    I agree, when you get into the sub 100 hp category passing strategy comes into play !
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s been years since I rode a light (sub 500 lbs) bike. When I got my G310 is was just sooo much fun to ride. As a 57 y/o with a knee replacement it’s very comforting to have a small bike in the garage. I still have a heavy bike, too.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  18. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    I am also 57 years old right now, and after having my knees bent sideways years ago they continue to get progressively worse in terms of strength and stability.

My G310GS is now my "Heavy" bike.
    I do not think that I will ever ride another bike that is over 400 pounds.
    My goal is to keep going lighter and lighter.
    manybike likes this.
  19. manybike

Oddometer:
    I keep a heavy bike (800GS twin) for 2 up riding with my wife. The most fun is the light bike which is currently the Versys 300. Before that I had a WR250X. I see you plan to buy the Hunter 125, I have it's predecessor, a 1969 CT90 Trail...total fun.
    BMWzenrider likes this.
  20. BMWzenrider

Oddometer:
    Yup, just sold my XT225, because it was too close in size to the GS, with lots less power, but all the seat height.
    The CT125 will have the step-thru frame, low seat height, and even lower-slung weight for easier off pavement travels.
    AND, will be my backup bike for maintenance downtime as well as when a friend wants to go riding with me.

My days of carrying a passenger are probably past as well, but luckily, most of my ex'es rode as well, so they just used their own bike!