BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea but have you ever ridden a Guzzi...pretty strange when you pull the clutch in and gas it and the bike rocks left/right, not necessarily good or bad...just different :-).

For anyone interested in a perfect 2019 310 GS...just dropped the price of mine to $5,100 (a couple pics in post #9045). Info below and on Facebook Marketplace: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/778812786271675.

manybike likes this.
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As do BMW Boxer twins and, I would assume, Urals and GoldWings. Undoubtedly something to do with the crankshaft being aligned with the longitudinal axis of the bike.

Or, as someone once said, Torque to me. :D

What does bug me about the Guzzi, is that it sounds like a Harley on startup before the first cylinder fires.
  3. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife’s new Guzzi leaked like a Harley.
    WoodWorks and Oilhed like this.
  4. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    aM714KVp_700w_0.jpg
  5. Old and slow

Old and slow my bike is old and slow, not me!

Oddometer:
    Question for the bunch here, my 310GS is about 4 weeks new and just turned 1600 miles. It developed a rattle in the front during the first week, bump related... sounds sort of metallic maybe. I've been chasing it and can't find it, snugged all the panel fasteners a bit but no change. Sounds like it's lower on the RH side, somewhere inside. I suspect the jiggly headlamp assembly but I can't find anything there that might be the rattle.

So... has anyone else successfully chased down a small rattle in the front end? Figure I might get lucky and have the same rattle you found and fixed :-)

Thanks!
  6. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had 3 310GS’s and they all had that rattle. Same as you I couldn’t find where it was coming from. For some reason it seemed to go away on it’s own on the 2 I currently have.
  7. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    I would start by removing all the body panels, as if you were replacing the air filter. It's a stupid amount of bolts for the 3 panels, 24 or so. But when you are done, ride the bike & see if sound continues. If it does, at least you can access the area better for further exploration.
    When replacing the air filter, mine was missing several of the interior bolts for the tank piece. Since I bought the bike used and it had crash bars installed, it may not have been the factory's omission. No rattle sounds, yet. It is an off road ride on occasion though, so the inevitable will eventually show up.
  8. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MichaelJ...I agree with you. For some reason I notice the left/right wobble more with the Guzzi than the Boxer...probably because the piston are not moving at 180 degrees to each other is my guess. When riding I don't really notice it on either bike...only when riding along and if I pull in the clutch and rev the motor.

Never ridden a Ural or a Wing :-). The first boxer I ever rode was a R nineT...I was very pleasantly surprised with the awesome performance. I always thought of the Boxer engine as a "Cruiser" type of design but boy was I wrong and it made me realize I STILL have a lot to learn :D.
  9. Old and slow

Old and slow my bike is old and slow, not me!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Izzy58 and willfreely. I found a solution to the problem today, I wore my ear plugs. Season's winding down here (road salt coming) so a good winter project to strip the panels.
    GreatNorthRider and willfreely like this.
  10. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Works with the wife, too.
    MichaelJ and Old and slow like this.
  11. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ALWAYS use earplugs and normally have the SENA on something too.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to on the Ducati & naked BMW but I always forget these days. Only use the Sena helmet on the Road King. Funny how I don't miss the music on the G310
  13. Slikkers

Slikkers n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok folks, noob here...new to adv riding.

I'm 51, 6'1" & 190lbs.

Wanting to hit 2 tracks, highway, etc in hopes of TAT is n 2023 with my son & my brother & his son.

Considering a f650gs or g650gs to make highway miles tolerable but know it's heavy.

I keep coming back to the 310gs. I hear it's decent off road but that highway runs of distance would be rough & not very enjoyable.

Has anyone owned & run both in all conditions that would care to share perspective? I do know there is no "perfect" do it all machine but...

Many thanks
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a G310GS. I used to have a R1150GS. I went to an a Scotia and West Virginia on the big one. I avoid highways on the little one. If was gonna ride hundreds of miles on a highway I'd get a twin.
    willfreely and WoodWorks like this.
  15. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    How much gear you carrying?

I'm 6'3". I own a g650gs sertao and my wifes g310gs with the rally raid upgrades.

The 650 definitely more load and road worthy. Its better off road, with much better low end torque. Also, most 650s have heated grips and better Suspension. Fwiw, they both get about the same fuel economy. The G310 is not an interstate bike. Highways at sub 60 mph speeds are just fine however.

Full disclosure. I have the high seat from Touratech on my sertao, but with that stated, the sitting position on the 310 is very cramped for me. Much worse than the standard sertao seat.

Pics of both loaded for trips. My wifes 310 is less loaded than it looks. When we overnight ride with camping gear, I carry the tools, tent and cookware. She carries the food, her sleeping bag, clothes an both of our extra riding gear. Oh, and an extra gallon of petro when needed via roto pax.

20200930_140148.jpg 20200810_153533.jpg
    WoodWorks likes this.
  16. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Agree with your assement.
    I have a R1200GS for more road oriented trips.
  17. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slikkers....I am 5' 11", early 60s, and 205 lbs with gear ready to ride. I have always preferred small bikes and the lighter the better. My 310 works great everywhere except deep sand...of course nothing works well in the deep sand :lol3. IMO if you go with the 310, you'll need a few things....new seat (Seat Concepts Tall seat works great for me) so you can move around when off road easier, wider foot pegs that are lowered and rearward (moving rearward makes it easier for me to stand and get behind the wide part of the tank), and higher handlebars (risers for a Jap bike won't work) I like the 2" Rox Risers.

Since I have always preferred and ridden small displacement/lighter bikes, the 310 works just fine for me off road and on the highway. You can easily cruise at 70 mph for hours with the stock gearing...I went +1 on the front sprocket and can cruise at 80 mph comfortably but 1st gear is too tall for off road with the +1. Unlike some of the others...I have no problem riding the 310 on I-10 for extended periods of time.

If you are going to load it down like a pack mule, you'll at least need some stiffer springs...I would suggest better damping along with the springs. Rally Raid is a good option and Cogent would probably be what I would choose. The owner of Cogent is on the ADV forum and goes by the screen name "NC Rick"...very helpful and smart.

Oh yea...a metal skid plate is something I would also recommend if you are going to do the TAT. I live in the NW corner of Florida and we don't have rocks...just sand so the plastic skid plate works fine for me.

There is a place in Townsend, TN that rents the 310 GS...Wolf Creek Rentals. You might want to take a trip and rent one for a few days and ride the trails, roads, and the Dragon :-), which are all around Smoky Mt National Park. That would be a great test to see if you like the bike. They also rent the 700 GS, 800 GS, 1200 GS, KLR, etc. Here is a link to their web site: https://wolfcreekrentals.us/

I went to Wolf Creek which is in Townsend, TN and rented a 300 Versys recently and saved about $6,000 :imaposersince I was not impressed with the bike and decided NOT to buy one after trying it....you know sort of like a woman buying 20 pairs of shoes because they were on sale and telling her husband how much money she "saved". But my wife wanted to visit the area plus I got to see a Bear with two cubs in Cades Cove which is within a stones throw of Wolf Creek Rentals.
    BMWzenrider likes this.
  18. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have done much of the TAT and “definitely” would not do the TAT on a 310gs. I’d prefer a WR250R or a little bigger, with 25-30 pounds of luggage Max. I’ve done a 690 mile day on a 310gs at mostly 70mph but no desire to do it again. I’ve found the 310 not as capable as the WR250R off-road by a long shot, but when forced to do freeways 310GS is far more comfortable/smoother than a WR. My final solution was a F800GS for long hauls and Kendron Trail + for my G310GS to reach Montana and where I’m on dirt for weeks in Montana & Idaho, we’re both happy on the L&C Trail. But for me the 310GS is not even close to a WR250 off-road...but capable for lite 2 track.

Edit: If you go the G310 route most will suggest upgrading the rear spring for any significant Off-Road trails like the TAT, with Cogent Dynamics or Rally Raid springs...My Cog Dynamics is in the $850 range.
  19. Slikkers

Slikkers n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you gentleman, guess I need to keep going through my non-negotiable list and see where these options land.

May have to take a trip to TN!
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think a Suzuki DR650 has a lower wet weight, a higher top speed and more capable off road. So if it isn’t too tall for you it should make a capable adventure bike. But it is buzzy.