BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    My friend rode the entire TAT last year on a Honda CRF 250 Rally. Very similar to the WR250.

However, I just saw someone posted doing the SoCAL BDR on a Honda Monkey bike. So anything is possible :-)
  2. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice thing about a Monkey, if the bike can’t make it, just pick it up and carry it around the obstacles.
  3. llevt

llevt n00b

Oddometer:
    The BMW dealer in Richfield MN. has a new 2019 310GS ( 8 miles ) for $3995. They had several at that price on Cycle Trader but are now down to one. That seems like a great deal. I just have to convince myself I need another GS, I have a 2014 r1200GS which I average 20,000 plus miles a year but rarely venture off road.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a great deal. I'd love to hear the out the door price. There was a Yamaha dealer that had a bunch of one model at crazy discounts on Cycle trader. People reported the out the door price at more than $1,000 more!
  5. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My DR and my 310 are within a pound of each other when full of gas with the stock tanks. I like them both but they are totally different....DR is more off road capable with its 21" front wheel and the 310 handles better on pavement. As far as top speed I believe the DR will go faster but I haven't tried it since I have MT21 knobby tires on mine and I get the wobbles above about 75 mph...the 310 will do about 92 mph and will go faster in 6th gear with the stock gearing than a +1 front sprocket, I experimentally verified it :lol3 but I sure do like cruising with the 17T front sprocket because it slows the motor down and the ride is smoother IMO.

Just FYI, the top speed for a WR250R with a Yoshi pipe and dyno tuned is 96 mph :D....and IMO it is more off road capable than the DR and the 310 but it requires 91 or higher octane fuel which just wouldn't work for me :-).

A LOT has to do with tire choices...the above statement about handling on/off road could be reversed if I put BT45 Bridgestone's (street tires) on the DR and TKC 80s on the 310. Somebody mentioned suspension...yep the DR has more travel and is stiffer from the factory but the 310 can be improved dramatically with the right springs and dampers and is much more capable off road than the 500X IMO...yep I owned one of those too :lol3 and on pavement the 500X would be my choice. Had a conversation with Rick at Cogent today and they have done a bunch of 310s as well as DRs. I'd highly recommend him or Rally Raid if you want to go off road with your 310...not mandatory but they will make it more fun.

It all just depends on your preferences, what you like, what you want, and how much you want to spend.

One thing I can conclusively say...they are all fun :-).
  6. Makedon

Makedon n00b

Oddometer:
    I just purchased one of the g310gs from BMW Richfield MN Dealership. I live in Illinois, in my case out the door price was $4640. The bike is priced $5795 , they charge $495 for freight and prep and $100 DOC administration fees. Total cost is $6390 , they have BMW Customer cash $1750( discount) . So that brought the price to $4640 out the door. As I said I’m out of state purchaser , I have to do Taxes, Title and Plates myself which should be around $700. I went and got the bike myself out of the dealership and rode it 430 miles back home. The offered to bring my bike to me in Illinois for $200 , they had that price because they had 4 others from Illinois/Indiana that purchase the same bike as I. I hope this helps.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    So why the steep discounts on 2019s? No 2020s came in. In the northeast the 2019s were sold out months ago. Must be a regional thing?

I got my 2019, a demo with 500 mi., out the door for $5,390. But they took my 2009 K1200LT that nobody wanted in trade. So it's all good.
  8. Makedon

Makedon n00b

Oddometer:
    I don’t know why the big discount. That was the lowest price on the g310gs that I had seen in the last 18 months and I jumped on it immediately. I know that when I put my deposit down on the bike they told me that I had to wait 2-3 weeks for the bikes to come in, originally I wanted the “cosmic black “ paint scheme, but when the bikes arrived they only got the “racing red”.
  9. Arkzooky

Arkzooky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my 2019 G310GS with a few miles (from this site) 2 weeks ago. My guess as to why the dealer discounts may be due to the "stop sell" because of either sidestand or brake issues--and maybe they backed up with bikes waiting for the fix. Also the improvements on the 2021 may have had an effect in clearing out previous models.
    I also found some of the dealer charges on all bikes to be a little deceptive when they tap close to $1000 over advertised price, and some even charge a fee for a cash payment. Enough rant--warming up today after a week of cold rain--going for a ride!
    [​IMG]
    camgregus and Oilhed like this.
  10. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Would love to hear more about your boxes and pannier mounts...if you know Mfg.?
    BTW: Charging a fee for Cash payment is tacky!
  11. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    LewisNClark likes this.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone heard of a single side pannier mount for the G310?

I'd love to put just one Ammo Can on the non-exhaust side
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also thinking of the
    SW-MOTECH SLC SIDE CARRIER SET
    WITH SYSBAG 10/15 LUGGAGE
    Anyone have this set-up? Pics?
  14. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    BMWzenrider likes this.
  15. Arkzooky

Oddometer:
    They were on the bike when I bought it--they are "Tusk" brand, inexpensive but not quick de-tachable (3 nuts and bolts).
  16. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Thanks, found your Seller's ad in Missouri - Tusk and looks like GIVI racks....all total around $470. BMW did not make the G310 easy to put racks on, most racks have to have their top/rear rack also to attach the racks to....very few attachment points provided by BMW.....nice bike. Like the color.
  17. Ron Wardman

Ron Wardman Beemerguy

Oddometer:
    Some thoughts on something that happened a couple of days ago. On Wednesday I started the 310 up and the little triangle came on and highlighted the check engine icon. I drove it two blocks turn it off and restarted it disappeared. The same thing happened yesterday. Today it started up with no warning whatsoever any thoughts?
  18. Ron Wardman

Ron Wardman Beemerguy

Oddometer:
    BMWzenrider likes this.
  19. Alpine_ADV

Alpine_ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s really close to what I paid for my 2019 as well. Demo model with a touch under 300 miles on it.
  20. Arkzooky

Oddometer:
    In my old cranky cheap years I just refuse to pay new prices with dealer lugs. Skip sold me his GS310 with the paniers, center stand and Puig screen for what I thought was a very reasonable price with only 1445 miles on it. He had already changed the oil, documented all the torques of the accessory installation and even washed it! Bike came from "Grass Roots" in Cape Girauredo Mo. and still has remaining warranty. ADV always has a deal somewhere. Forgot he also had SW motec crash bars and a top case.