BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. hiddenMeadow

hiddenMeadow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOl now I know why I couldn't find it the other day...DUH!
  2. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I just ordered an R&G that looks like the same thing. Hopefully that gets the signals out of the way of the bags.

BTW so far it looks like the Blizzard XLs clear the exhaust fine. I will likely put a shield on it just for extra protection
    WoodWorks likes this.
  3. BabyBeemer

BabyBeemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume it came with a manual. Maybe your answer is in there? ‍*shrug*
  4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did a little urban exploring on my new G 310 GS last week. Next week I head for the hills. This bike sure is a great balance of urban commuter and light off-roader. Really enjoying it.
    GSBW.jpg
  5. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Central Arkansas today, Lake Winona 886FC3B4-E497-403A-8AB9-93A07FF26A95.jpeg
    Captain Lew, mikeysduck and Makedon like this.
  6. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whose doin' this with their GS?
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
  8. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    Could have been a nice video, but why does everything need to have music added to it? Isn't the engine sound good enough?
  10. RynoH

RynoH n00b

Oddometer:
    New to the group and figured I’d post a pic of my transformed 310GS. Such an awesome bike for BDR! Cheers everyone!

AE944F36-2776-4140-9835-6B663791245D.jpeg
  11. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome!
    Just curious if you plan on adding any aftermarket items? Just kidding, good job on a very nice looking bike.
  12. RynoH

RynoH n00b

Oddometer:
    Haha! Maybe a few parts. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and I’ve enjoyed all the great posts I’ve read so far. Great helpful group!
  13. cvx5832

cvx5832 n00b

Oddometer:
    Riding through Napa Valley
    [​IMG]

Love this bike
    [​IMG]
  14. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever More Gelände... Less Straße

Oddometer:
    I bought my new (old stock and highly discounted) 2019 G310GS last October for a 50th birthday present for myself. I've been mostly riding around local back roads and loving it, but I've started taking longer trips. Next will be an overnight moto camping trip. But first I need to do the 600 mile running in maintenance. I'd greatly prefer to do as much maintenance as I can, including all routine servicing. I have the MotoScan app and OBDII dongle to check service codes and reset the SERVICE annunciator.

I've read that I can document my own maintenance, including receipts for oil, filters, etc, and my factory warranty will be preserved. Is that correct?

I've had trouble understanding exactly what maintenance to perform at each service interval. It's mostly listed in the owner's manual, but reading online and looking at shop receipts, I get the impression that there is more to it than the brief chart in the owner's manual. I found a G310R running in check list online but it's a bit sketchy. Is there a decent description of the service I should do? I have downloaded some YouTube videos showing how to do basic tasks such as oil changes, air filter, etc.

The price for the service DVD from BMW seems a bit steep, but what isn't expensive in the world of motorcycles? My biggest problem is that the DVD requires Windows, which I haven't had in probably 20 years.

It'd be great if there was an open source PDF version of a G310GS shop manual that details the routine service as a bare minimum, or at least a thread on ADVrider. As soon as I know something, I'd gladly contribute. :-)
  15. cvx5832

cvx5832 n00b

Oddometer:
    For maintenance intervals I follow what’s in the manual. Motorcycle dealerships, just like car dealerships have “recommended” maintenance which is over and above what the factory calls for. No tip for a non-windows solution, however.

Just got back myself after an 18-yr hiatus. It’s good to be back on 2 wheels.
    Captain Lew and Liberty4Ever like this.
  16. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    I also bought my first bike, the gs, for my 50th two years ago. I had a local mechanic do the 1000 km service and he followed the owners manual maintenance schedule in the little booklet you get. I did my own oil /air filter changes since then and had no issues with warranty for two problems - battery, alternator and they even paid for a cush drive rubber replacement. Bike is out of warranty now and just under 20000km. Currently waiting for chain/sprockets for replacement. I would have had those parts on hand if I had been an experienced owner.
    35B68025-B4AF-4409-A2C3-9910FA7D30F6.jpeg
    Liberty4Ever likes this.
  17. RynoH

RynoH n00b

Oddometer:
    That’s an awesome birthday present and a great bike to boot! So, for the initial maintenance it’s really not too involved and yes, you can complete it yourself and still be covered under warranty. When I purchased my 2019 it had 1400 miles on it and was worried if it was under warranty since the previous owner changed the oil. I contacted a BMW motorcycle maintenance department and they were extremely helpful and outlined each of the service intervals. The first service is primarily to change the oil to clean out an metal deposits in the engine. Additionally, air filter, chain check/tighten and regular inspection. Nothing major required on these bikes aside from bleeding the brakes, oil, air filter, etc. Don’t be intimidated just simply contacting the service department of a BMW dealership or any other reputable service center and they will guide you.

I too found the DVD quite expensive and chose not to invest in it. This site has the full diagram and part for every part in that bike and is super useful for anything you need.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=59125

if you’re going to start some off-road Moto trips you should seriously consider swapping the front sprocket to a 15-T vs the OEM 16-T sprocket, night and day difference. Also, if you have the fairings off to change the air filter it’s a good idea to swap to a K&N for better performance.

Cheers and happy to provide insight from what I know!
    ac-rider and Liberty4Ever like this.
  18. Liberty4Ever

Oddometer:
    Ain't it though! :-)

I mostly ride secondary roads, 50-60 MPH, 80-100 KPH, so I've kept the gearing where it is for now. I think my semi-serious dual sport riding days are behind me. However, I will try some 50% off road tires when I wear out the mostly street Metzler Tourance tires from BMW.

I bought a lot of upgrades last winter and have been waiting for the first maintenance (now) to install them. The K&N air filter is one of those upgrades. I have an aluminum bash plate to install at the first oil change, Apollo heated grips, and an Invoxia GPS tracker to hide inside the beak and wire into the 12V accessory port at the rear of the display to recharge while I'm riding. I'll also wire a pair of USB charging ports on the accessory port while I'm in there, as well as an LED headlight upgrade while removing the rubber mounting bushings that cause the headlight to vibrate which apparently aren't needed for a solid state LED headlight.

Greetings from central Kentucky, thoroughbred horse capitol of the world.

20210404_182556-HorsePark-crop800.jpg

BMW-G310GS-SwitzerCoveredBridge-20210407_192850-1632.jpg
    Saluki9397 likes this.
  19. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    A key thing to remember about the run-in service is the steering head bearing. It needs to be re-torqued to the correct specification to avoid bearing failure. Otherwise, the first service is about changing the motor oil, adjusting chain tension, and checking all fasteners.

steering_bearing.PNG

[​IMG]
    Liberty4Ever likes this.
  20. Liberty4Ever

Oddometer:
    Sweet looking baby GS! I checked out the SmugMug photos from your signature line. I definitely need more adventure in my life.

Thank you. That was one of the issues I didn't quite understand and the picture you provided made it perfectly clear. I think I can figure out clutch cable play, brake fluid levels, etc.

Thanks to everyone who answered to get me pointed in the right direction... and to those who posted solid info that greatly benefited me when in lurking mode. ADVrider is a great collection of information, and this thread in particular has been a huge help to me and no doubt many others.
    FreeTheBeast likes this.