BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ovtover

ovtover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I've been searching for someone who's installed these racks because I'm a little confused. Did you have to take that whole plastic panel under the seat off to get to the taillight wires? And where do the taillights re-mount? The holes on that metal mount don't seem to match up anywhere that I can see. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

LewisNClark likes this.
  2. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike had the tidy tail lights installed before I bought it. I did do the GIVI rack installation and had no issues, (there’s several videos out there) nor removal of tail light wiring…all I had to do was remove the bolts that hold the rear rack on, mount rack with longer Givi provided bolts. Racks took no more than 45 minutes to install. But I’m using Wolfman Expedition saddle bags that do not block the tail lights….except a little of the side view…if you’re mounting hard bags they probably will require moving/relocating the tail lights.

Edit: I'd suggest doing a google search for "G310GS tail light extensions", etc. I did and saw a few options.
  3. ovtover

ovtover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok my bike is stock. I wouldn't think Givi would assume I have a tidy tail light installed, but that included taillight holder doesn't seem to fit anywhere on the stock bike...
    Thanks for you reply anyway.
    LewisNClark likes this.
  4. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    You’ll probably find some answers at the G310 Forum chat room…if you are not familiar with it. Link below….you do have to join to get access to chatrooms….its free.

https://www.g310rforum.com/threads/hepco-becker-pannier-racks-help-please.8808/#post-96788
    hiddenMeadow and ovtover like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Yes... you have to remove the rear rack and side panels to get to the wiring.

Once you've removed everything and located the taillight wires, mark them first before you disconnect on the bike side so you don't reverse them when reassembling. BMW provided enough slack to reach the new position.

The holes lined up pretty well during my install and went according to the instructions. I also zip tied a piece of foam on the cross bar since it rubs on the taillight bracket.

Good luck...
    ovtover likes this.
  6. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210713_1543421.jpg Finally got the Baby G out in its element. With the RR Level 1 the suspension is working very well even carrying this 3d load out.
  7. cvx5832

cvx5832 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All! I've thoroughly enjoyed the material although admittedly I'm not even a quarter of the way though this thread! But wanted to give back anyway. To those that have had the recurring leaky oil shaft issue, my personal journey dealing with this might help.

https://www.g310rforum.com/threads/output-shaft-oil-seal.10370/

And of course, a couple pictures from today's ride :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Just sharing so others might not make the same mistake:
    Have the Rally Raid Engine Guard, installed by first owner. The RR Engine Guard is certainly one of the better engine guards in being installed on the frame (center stand brackets) and not the engine. BUT I would never have bought it if I had known the entire guard has to be “completely” removed to do a simple oil change. Part of the guard blocks the oil drain plug and just loosing the rear bolts doesn’t work since tilting the guard to access the oil filter is blocked by the radiator hose….all of this making a “30 minute oil change into a 2 1/2 hour guard removal and reinstallation”. It could have been so much easier with a few minor design changes in the guard.
  9. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Reason why I removed the RR guard on my wife's bike and went with something less robust. :-(
    LewisNClark likes this.
  10. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    If my memory isn't failing me and it's not just a dream, I recall Jenny Morgan JMo writing she changed her oil and filter without removing the RR guard completely. Search in "Beemer beemer chicken deener".
  11. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Thanks…glad I’m not the only one who feels this way…The person who designed the Rally Raid Engine Guard probably never had to do an oil change….WHAT A ROYAL PAIN…especially if you are on the road and need an oil change…and your lift table is at home. The two bolts in the rear attached to the Center Stand location are very very hard to get to. A riding buddy, Beemer service mgr, said they add 1-2 hours of labor to an oil change with a RR guard. …I’ll also be looking for a replacement bash plate too.
  12. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    If the cost of shipping wasn't humongous, I would offer to buy your's.
    hiddenMeadow likes this.
  13. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    back a few pages on post # 8054, pg. 403 for the post by Jenny...
  14. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I’ll get back to you….when my knuckles quit bleeding and my wounds of getting the two rear bolts loosened and have to remove the engine guard again when another oil change is due…

:dirtdog
  15. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Thanks for page #, it confirmed what I went through.

I did exactly the same steps…Three problems, loosening the two rear bolts, tilting the guard down blocks the left side drain plug, tilting the guard down far enough to get the oil filter off could easily puncture a hot radiator hose, POSITIVELY no way of doing it without pouring oil from the drain plug and oil filter all over the bottom of the skid plate and floor, and eventually boots when riding.

As Jenny mentioned, her guard is the initial design. My version bought in 2020 (current version) will definitely not clear the drain plug and impossible to remove the oil filter without spilling oil all over the place when removing the “filter” - without removing the entire engine guard.

Thanks again,
  16. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This ten footer ran across the road right in front of me. Two seconds later and I would have been trying to surmount a really angry bull gator. When he got to the other side of the road and stuck his head in the bushes, he stopped - mebbe his uncle was an ostrich - and I managed to get a photo. And then haul butt…

This was in the mining district south of Bartow FL.

888A9693-9CA3-4729-A83F-276F631D92B9.jpeg
  17. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow ... Kinda makes the deer that jumped in front of me last week pale a bit in comparison.. :=)
    Captain Lew likes this.
  18. quietglow

quietglow Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of installing these myself and remembered seeing your post. The bracket attaches where I've indicated in this pic. Obvs the other bolt has to come out too.

InkedPXL_20210723_145005311_LI.jpg
  19. quietglow

quietglow Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for y'all: 600 mi service, did you have your dealer do it? I just assumed I would, then foolishly waited until I have 575 on the clock. Now I learn that there is literally a several week wait to have it done. I just did a quick hunt around, and it seems like many people believe having the dealer to the 600mi check is a good idea, even if you're planning on doing most of your own maintenance & work.
  20. Old and slow

Old and slow my bike is old and slow, not me!

Oddometer:
    FWIW I did my own, but that's just me. If you feel like you want the dealer to do that service (no shame in that!) you can take comfort in reading the manual where it lists 300 to 750 miles is when it should be done. Maybe just change the oil because of all the fine metal particles that come off a new engine.