BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    As some of you may know, my wife had a pretty hard fall last year on her Baby G while riding the Northwest Passage. I posted pics earlier of her newly painted bike in Corvette Yellow. Due to the pandemic it took several months to get replacement parts from BMW and about as long to find a good paint shop.

Yesterday, we finally got the SRC crash bars installed. So her bike now has good fall/crash protection. All this is just in time as we're taking off to ride the same area and finish the route we started last year. We will be riding 2000 miles on a mix of road and gravel.

Still waiting on custom decals and tank knee pads, but those will had to go on after our trip.

But here it is.. She loves the look of her "bumble bee G"

20210825_185123.jpg
    20210825_185114.jpg 20210825_185106.jpg 20210825_185100.jpg
    RileyM, BMWzenrider, ArielNut and 4 others like this.
  2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever More Gelände... Less Straße

Oddometer:
    I think it looks great without the stickers, and I'd only add the tank knee pads for functional purposes.

I'm sure after I've dropped my baby GS, I'll black powder coat the rear rack, then fill, wet sand and Krylon Fusion the plastic bits black, and generally BatCycle my baby GS to totally make her mine, but that yellow, black and gray really pops! If BMW Motorrad sees it, that may be a color scheme for 2023.

You crazy kids have fun, but be careful out there, particularly on that gravel.
  3. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @GrizzLee awesome job getting her back up and running. Really dig the color scheme, and I agree decals are totally unnecessary. Perhaps keep them for resale but add your own custom decals to go with the custom colors?
    GrizzLee likes this.
  4. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    We agree with you folks.

If/when tank and knee pads arrive, they are black with yellow G310GS lettering. Should be a nice contrast.
  5. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to pick up a set of the gold rally-raid wheels. If anyone has a set they're interested in selling please PM me. Thanks
  6. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    FYI..
    I believe there are 2 flavors of the RR wheels. Tubeless and non tubeless.

upload_2021-8-27_10-35-13.png
  7. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point. I'm looking for the tubeless version but would consider the tubed.
  8. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a deposit on a '21 G310GS and planned on riding it offroad a lot. I didn't realize BMW removed the ABS cancel switch, this is a big deal for me. And you can't just pull the fuse for the dirt road sections. Can someone tell me how sensitive the system is, can you ride this bike downhill on a loose gravel road and have some control? Can you hit the kill switch to cancel ABS and coast down loose terrain? In an earlier post it was suggested that the rear wheel may still lock up, but it wasn't confrimed. Or have BMW made this a street only bike now?
    And has anyone done the ABS kill switch that was shown in the video? It has been posted that wire powers the ABS and speedo. So does the kill switch kill both or just the brakes?
    Thanks for your advice.
  9. Alpine_ADV

Alpine_ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I hardly ever turn the ABS off anymore. The switch only turns off the rear wheel being modulated. The bike does very well going downhill with full ABS on, and I’ve found I have better control with the ABS on. The system is not super sensitive and gets pretty close close to full lockup on the rear before it starts modulating. I can’t really feel or hear the system working off-road.
    motoinmoab and WoodWorks like this.
  10. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same experience as above. My F800GS ABS would modulate running over tar stripe on a concrete bridge....running over a pencil. Had to have it off on gravel or any off-road...but not with the G310...have actually forgotten about ever turning it off. Found no issues. I’m assuming the weight is the difference.
    motoinmoab and WoodWorks like this.
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yeah, same here. I’ve never felt the need to turn off the ABS on this bike. And that’s even on steep, rocky slopes where I’d be damn sure the ABS was off on my F800GS.
    motoinmoab likes this.
  12. bwallca

bwallca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW says the abs switch kills the abs on both brakes.
  13. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    I think the point was that the new 2022 G310 does not have an ABS switch to do an off/on.
  14. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Amo esta bicicleta ...
  15. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    ButteBike.jpg
    Greetings from Monument Valley.
  16. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    15T swap...another happy customer.

I've always been someone who would go up a tooth in the front, but with a dirt riding camp coming up later this month I opted for this gearing change. Best improvement thus far is the ability to make tight u-turns without having to feather the hell out of the clutch. U-turns with the 16T were stressful and in a crowded lot I would opt for the high-revving and lurching u-turn or paddle rather than stalling and dropping the bike. Now I can make the turn simply dragging the rear brake with no clutch.

Might add a tooth to the rear for the camp and keep it on for the street if I like it. I'm going to be swapping to AX41's for the camp so I might as well give it a shot while the wheels are off.
    Michona likes this.
  17. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well after all my work and "testing" of the Baby G my wife finally got 400mi on it both dirt and paved. She seems to really like it :-)

Got the Rally Raid wheels to go on next and some more aggressive tires. However I am surprised at how well the Tourance's grip the gravel, not bad..

20210903_212912170_iOS.jpg 20210905_011108819_iOS.jpg
  18. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Road from Page, Az to the north rim of the Grand Canyon for lunch, 112 miles plus one up in elevation. The same back. At this pullout on the return, past Jacob's Lake, the dark line above the mirror going left to right is the road I have yet to return on. And following the line of the mountain to where it drops, right above the passenger seat, is where I have to go around to the left by way of Lee's Ferry to get back to the rv and beer. Road.jpg Lee's Ferry is the lowest spot on the Colorado River for hundreds of miles, take off spot for river trips and home of unique geological formations.
    Rockster.jpg
    LewisNClark, mikeysduck and WoodWorks like this.
  19. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Have a slightly used Rally Raid -Skid Plate for the G310GS in the Flea Market - under “Bike Parts and Accessories”.
    :hair
  20. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see it?