BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. flexfab

flexfab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    motoinmoab, my bike is a 2018 and I just completed the Continental Divide ride with GPSKevin and on some of the passes in Colorado I wanted my back wheel to lock up and the only way to do that was to switch off the ABS. Like many others have stated, ABS on usually works just fine in most situations. When you want to control the lock up of the rear wheel though, I switch it off. I am one of GPSKevins ride Yodas, we are an ADV tour company and ride A LOT, I ride my 310 on all of our ADV rides and a few dual sport trips also. You said that you plan on riding your 310 off road a lot and IMO the lack of ABS switch won't be deal breaker.
    My bike is ridden from Baja to British Colombia and to be honest, the only time I turn off the ABS is when I want to rear steer the bike.
    Michona and LewisNClark like this.
  2. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Update: Bumble Bee Baby G

Got the tank pads today.

They make the color pop.

Wife loves her bike more than ever.

Resized_20210913_163305.jpeg 20210913_204500.jpg Resized_20210913_163237.jpeg 20210913_204343.jpg
  3. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2021 doesn't have a switch for the ABS. On a fairly steep downhill gravel road the rear brake is almost worthless, it doesn't slow the bike hardly at all. I have to use mostly the front brake. The rear ABS is too sensitive, too intrusive. I think BMW made a big change to the system for 2021 because others have said the rear brake on the earlier models worked well and they rarely turned it off. The 2021 desperately needs the kill switch for the rear.
    LewisNClark likes this.
  4. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-9-19_20-52-8.png

I can't be the only one who thinks this is a bullshit way to change an air filter.
  5. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    I rarely have need to turn it off b/c I don't do power-slides very well yet, and I rarely ride hills. However, I agree with you - the rear ABS on my 2018 needs to be off for that type of riding.
  6. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s ridiculous to the point that changing the air filter is a winter project. I suppose BMWs intention was to turn it into a more billable service item. Margins can’t be huge on this bike so perhaps they’re making it up in service.
  7. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2018 has about 1800mi on the odo and I have been noticing that the rear brake lever travel gets soft and inconsistent over the course of longer stop and go riding. I don't know if it has always been this way or if it is just something that is starting to bother me now. I've been caught off guard a couple times by just how much depression and articulation of my foot it took to bring the bike to a stop.

Could perhaps be the need to bleed the brakes but wondering if others have noticed similar.
  8. willfreely

Oddometer:
    Or brake cable stretching, new ones will do that. Have you tried adjusting the lever? That was my issue on clutch not fully engaging.
  9. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, the BMW G310GS has hydraulic brakes and therefor has no cable that could stretch. Also the foot brake lever is of non-adjustable type. I had to put a piece of a hockey puck on the pedal to get it high enough for my needs.
    In the case of an 2018 year model it could be a simple case of old fluid that need to be changed.
    willfreely likes this.
  10. willfreely

Oddometer:
    WhatPhotoChop.jpg
    For people who argue accuracy versus artistry, please look at how much haze I have removed in the following "before" picture. Some small degree of cleaning up make a better view, yes?
    20210830_170404.jpg
    WoodWorks likes this.
  11. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a CNC rear brake extender/raiser off ebay. Cheap way to raise and enlarge the footprint. That makes it more comfortable but no help with the inconsistent feel. You might be right about the fluid. I'll go about replacing the fluid and report back if that makes any improvement.
  12. hasselman

hasselman Motorcycle learner (since 1981)

Oddometer:
    Can't be much cheaper than an old used ice-hockey puck found on the street, can it? And the old puck is good for at least 4 brake lever extensions.
    bwallca likes this.
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Not to mention removing that top box. :evil
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. mhrutter

mhrutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to look at new 2021 310gs and used 2018 w/2000 miles on it. 2018 is about $2,000 less than a new one. Any opinions on which way to go, new or used?
  15. Wkoppa

Wkoppa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 2021 will come with better lights (I think) in LED's. The big thing you are getting with the 2021 is three years of warranty and roadside service. That is worth a big share of the 2k difference if something goes wrong. Go and join the BMW OA and get another $250 off and connect with 25,000 like minded riders. https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/offers/bmw-appreciation-offers/bmw-car-club-america-members.html BMW OA has a book of contacts that you can ask for help when you have troubles, almost anywhere. https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/membertypes If your stranded in Prince George British Columbia, Canada you have people that will help you out. Don't ask why I know this.

Great little bike.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
  16. willfreely

Oddometer:
    All recalls done on the '18? Anything else like crash bars, skid plate, hand guards on the used, new tires, service record? A well sorted out used is nothing to fear. Since I have an '18 with the enviable on/off ABS button I may be jaded, but if $20 is $20, well you do the math.
    WoodWorks likes this.
  17. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will only ever buy used bikes so take my opinion for what its worth, but I think the $2k saved should cover anything that you would have to fix for the life of the '18.
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Because of the fires and smoke out here, I’ve only been out on two rides this whole summer. But we just got a good dump of rain, so today was the third.

49C99B52-4ADC-493F-8236-E637295DFBE1.jpeg

Sun Mountain Road, just north of Fort Klamath, Oregon.
  19. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't own a 310GS, but I love it and may own one in the near future. As for the ABS kill switch on 2021 and older, there is at least one, good, video tutorial on how to install a switch to disable the ABS on the 2022. It's simple and reversible for those that would like to have that feature on the newer bike. I have ridden both (several times) and I think the 2022 has slightly better power delivery, better lighting, and I agree with the post above about having a warranty. It's just a nice peace of mind. Good luck with your choice!
    Wkoppa likes this.
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Damn, it was good to get out again. Approaching Fort Rock, Oregon

3B997ED6-A943-407A-AEB3-7179402BA3CE.jpeg

1F6F3899-0C04-463C-AE9B-3153F27DF5CB.jpeg

I can think of plenty of worse places to ride.
    O-Man, Captain Lew, NYNJ8 and 2 others like this.