BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replied to your PM, I think. Lemme know if you hear from me. Or if you don’t.
  2. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Linky please? This sounds intriguing. I have a Sertao and extra G/F650GS wheels in my stable.
  3. Makedon

Makedon Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. RCat

RCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Snafu2

Snafu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a quick look at doing this as we have both bikes and spare wheels in the workshop, but decided against it as it means reversing the cush drive that has an offset damper. That and the fact that the cush drive dampers are pretty expensive and not that good, I also didn't think that sleeving down the forks for a smaller axle was that good an idea either.
  6. quietglow

quietglow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remove the "current" and make that "BMW design execution." I saw this and had to respond. On my 1974 R90, changing air filters involves removing the tank, loosening carbs and intake tubes, and opening the top of the engine case (okay it's the air filter housing, but it's yet another thing that has to come apart). It's at least as big of a pain as removing the bodywork panels on the 310gs. They made it slightly easier when they switched to the square filters in the 80s (no more messing with the carbs), but you still have to pull the tank.
    Monterey_BS likes this.
  7. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hear you. My '81 G/S is an example of that improvement (my words) in design. The one thing I'll have to say in defense of the G/S is that it takes no tools to perform the operation. OK, maybe a pocketknife to pop the clips on the box: nice, but not essential. On my R1100S Boxer Cup you have to remove everything to do anything. At least you can get to the battery from the seat on the 310.
    quietglow likes this.
  8. quietglow

quietglow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah yeah, you know then! Sometime I'd love to hear your take on when you ride the 310 vs the OG. Whenever I get on my 310 after weeks riding only the airheads, I am surprised by how much go the 310 has, especially off the line.

I think the 310gs bodywork removal would be massively less of a problem if it weren't for the clip things. For me, and I suspect many people, those clips indicate something that isn't really designed to be removed very many times -- like door panels on your car in 1992 that you removed to install 6x9 speakers. They're easy to lose, annoying as hell when they fall off, easily break etc. If they were lugs on the frame instead, you could have all 16 bolts out or in in a matter of 2 minutes using a low torque electric drill. It's one of the only places on the bike that feels to me like cost cutting might have gone too far. On the other hand, BMW might say that the bike wasn't really designed to be maintained by the owner.
  9. bbbelanger

bbbelanger n00b

Oddometer:
    There is no doubt in my mind that B'W designs its vehicles to be maintained by the techs in the dealerships. And when you look at it in that perspective, unnecessarily long procedures are good for the cash flow, of said dealers.
    Customers or Cash Cows, that is the question !
    manybike likes this.
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Well, count me among those who let their dealers deal with all of those clips. And then I go ride the thing, clips and all. This was today in the eastern Sierra.

58088AC8-D3EA-4B2B-A9B6-D430BDA702D8.jpeg
    SoCalJoe, Bhart89, NYNJ8 and 3 others like this.
  11. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only had mine for 3yrs, so it's still a work in progress. If you wander over to the Rally Raid G3 thread, you'll see my build fairly well detailed there. It's been an interesting experiment. If I keep the bike long term, I'll ultimately swap all the fairing fasteners over to Dzus D-rings. The number won't change, but it 'll be a lot faster.
    On road, the 310 is quicker off the line, but things get pretty busy as the speed builds. Overall, the boxer is just a more relaxed experience. Off road I'll take the airhead boxer any day. Its tractor-like torque from right off the bottom can't be beat. Having said this, though, the 310 makes a great little camping bike. Just keep the revs up and work the clutch. As long as I keep in mind it's capabilities/limitations, I get wherever I want to go. Just like WoodWorks!
    willfreely and WoodWorks like this.
  12. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had some bikes for 3 weeks. To me, 3 years is long term! :lol3

I love the D-ring idea. :thumbup
    manybike and mikeysduck like this.
  13. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, never a peep. I sent the bark busters to the wrong guy by mistake. He doesn’t want them.

Let’s try: roger at rogerwiles dot com

Write me at that address and we’ll fix this.
  14. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at smaller ADV bikes for my twilight years and was considering a KTM 390 but a fellow worker riding bud mentioned the 310 GS so started looking into them. Watched a few youtube comparisons and it seems the 310 GS is a bit better suited for off road. A bit lighter, stock footpeg and handlebar relation more friendly to standing. Also the factory low seat appeals to my old 30" inseam. Seem less expensive as a bonus.
    manybike likes this.
  15. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    I test rode both and bought the G310GS this fall. The KTM 390 has a stronger engine for sure but I have no complaints with the baby GS. It's smooth at 60 mph and will still accelerate from there. The suspension is comfortable off road, not too harsh or soft. I wasn't able to get off road on the KTM test ride but they typically have very good suspension too. The seating position, reach to the bars and pegs, just didn't fit me right on the KTM, but that's personal. You really need to sit on both to know for yourself. I'm 70, so I understand the twilight years thing, and I'm real happy with this easy to ride, easy to love little bike.
  16. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm the one who received them. Still have them in the box as shipped waiting for their rightful owner. Happy to help facilitate justice here...
    Wkoppa and bwallca like this.
  17. TheHeretic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input! Trying to find one to test right now is problematic on the BMW. Dealer is out of them and most bikes. They have a few 390's left. I really like the BMW look over the 390 but that's just looks which doesn't really matter much from the rider point of view.
  18. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven’t been getting along with my 310 lately. Been spending most of my time on the tiger 800 and going back to the 310 it just doesn’t fell happy in any gear. I know it’s supposed to rev and frankly I’m pretty pleased with the stock sound at rev but it just feels like it wants me to shift. Im a small displacement guy but mostly twins. This feels new to me.

I’m thinking an aftermarket exhaust might help open it up a bit…

Its a really good overall package but probably not the best bike where most of my riding is NYC area suburbs. Out west I bet this thing would rock.
  19. TheHeretic

Oddometer:
    I had heard that the kickstand mounts were breaking on the early models. I'm assuming that was corrected? Are there any more caveats with the 310? I'm a complete 310GS newb. just starting my investigation into the smaller ADV bike world. My local dealer is pushing the KTM 390 (Probably because its the only thing they have in stock) They have not received confirmed delivery for the 2022 310 GS yet.
  20. NYNJ8

NYNJ8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are you looking for in a bike? Is your interest in small ADVs based on being a new rider or are you an experienced rider looking to downsize?

I think your perspective matters because depending on your experience, the 310 may not be a compromise at all. If you’re coming from a 250 dual sport the 310 will feel comparatively solid on the road and capable of freeway touring. But If you are trading down from a big tech’d out tourer you will certainly find the GS a compromise.

In my opinion, if you accept what it is, and most importantly, what it isn’t then you will really enjoy this bike. For me I bought it to try as a one-bike solution for all my riding needs. It didn’t check that box for me because I need more from a bike on the heavily populated interstates I ride. Now I view it as a medium distance explorer and it slots really well in the role. If I’m heading 40 miles up some country roads I’ve never been and expecting to encounter unimproved roads, its my bike of choice. But if I want to visit family 3hrs upstate, I’m much happier on something else.

If I lived nearer to mountain or desert riding or where I could ride in the left lane at 70mph I think the 310 could actually be a one-bike solution for me.
    SoCalJoe and OleShep like this.