BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    My '18 came to me after the 2nd owner ran it through the dealership for the kickstand recall, which near as I can figure seems to have be a replacement side stand with much too steep an angle. It is useful to me only for the moment it takes to dismount and then place the bike on the aftermarket centerstand I installed. Otherwise it is almost guaranteed to dump onto the right side due to catastrophic leaf impact or the gravitational pull of the moon. I take a firm position on centerstands.
  2. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I did a little Googling on that subject and it seems the issue was corrected after 2018. Looks like if the mount breaks it time for a new frame.
  3. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suffer from MBS severely so I don't need a one bike solution. I have over 50 years of riding in and just looking for a lighter weight, adv bike that is also decent on the street. So mostly back paved and dirt roads. I've pared my decision down to the 310 GS or KTM 390. My local dealer has 2 x 2021 KTM's left and he'd love to sell me one of them right now. He says the Beemers are on the way. I have a couple of mini's (Grom and Z125) I'm planning on selling or trading as I'm over the Mini Bike thing. A novelty at first but the lack of size and power gets old fast.
  4. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    B1053B68-0724-456B-A6AF-C25FCFEFC711.jpeg 223CDD2E-0F53-44A0-8346-E0573E4F6F68.jpeg 1344F9ED-862E-4B7D-AA3D-D31434FDB3D1.jpeg
    Been doing a little ripping across fields. Starting to get the rear sliding out more - up to 3rd gear.

Found some new-to-me quad trails close to home. Chilly, windy day. Snow in the forecast tonight... But what a great ride!
  5. quietglow

quietglow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like my 310gs a bunch, but the ability to do this is prob the reason I like it the most:

L1005063.jpg
    shreddr, Cheshire, SoCalJoe and 4 others like this.
  6. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    New bike day ! (actually a couple of days ago)
    So far I like the 310, I may even like it better than the VX300 I had. Did a bit a gravel running and the VX may have been a little more stable but more evaluation is required. Power is just fine for what I plan to use it for. It is a 2020 with 297 miles. First service still needs to be done which I would do myself but I may bite the bullet due it still has 2 years warranty left and I do not want to jeopardize that (they will use any excuse) SAM_4536.JPG SAM_4538.JPG
    FreeTheBeast, Makedon, RCat and 2 others like this.
  7. manybike

Oddometer:
    What racks are those ?
  8. quietglow

Oddometer:
    Givi for the monokey system. Part number is PL5126. Here's the bike with the cases:

L1004929.jpg
  9. manybike

Oddometer:
    Thanks !
    quietglow likes this.
  10. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several pages back, I announced that I had two excess sets of Barkbuster handguards for the G310GS. One fellow said he would PM me but I never got it. I sent them, by mistake, to another fellow, and he doesn’t want them. They are new from Amazon, fit the 310, attach at two points and have the Storm black plastic handguards. I changed handlebars, and they don’t fit mine.

if anyone wants these, I would have to get $80; I paid a buck and a half new. It cost me $38 bucks to ship them to the wrong guy, and I’ll have to reimburse him to ship them to a buyer, of one can be found, so I might break even on the deal. Or lose a few bucks.

The images are several pages back. There is a set of single point attachment (inboard) Barkbusters for sale, too. $25 plus shipping. Fit 7/8” bars. Will fit 1” bars, too, I think, if the spacers are removed.

Don’t PM me. Instead, write to roger at rogerwiles dot com
  11. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as riding on gravel, I put tkc 80 tires on my 310 . My driveway is a mile of gravel and it helped tremendously. They do pretty well on asphalt too. On a second note , I needed a reason to replace my exhaust so I took a saw and cut the muffler off right above the small shield. I knew it would be too loud so I’m going to try an internal baffle with some packing. After that fails I guess a new exhaust is in order. Anyone tried the Dominator high exhaust? They sell one for the “r” but not the gs. I’m guessing they are the same. I like the Scorpion exhaust but I can only find it from Rally Raid. Not sure of shipping from uk. Any ideas ?
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    That is not entirely correct. The side-stand issue only affected a short production run of bikes built in early 2018, and was identified reasonably quickly and rectified in the latter part of 2018 for onward production...

If one of those earlier bikes had a side stand bracket which did start to bend, the dealer would assess by how much, and either fit a bracing plate (supplied by BMW), or if the bend was already severe enough, would indeed end up replacing the whole frame, since the bracket is welded on - and BMW felt that rather than trust a dealer (or typically 3rd part shop, since the majority of BMW dealer service departments don't have welders) to beef up those welds, along with the potential paintwork warranty issues which might ensue (especially on what back then were customers' brand new/nearly new bikes), they elected to supply dealers with a complete replacement frame [which retained the original frame number], and get them to swap everything else over.

Hope that clarifies things for anyone looking to be a used model. It really shouldn't be an issue by now [end of 2021], since any stand bracket which might have snapped, will have done.

Jenny x

For info. I had one of those first bikes, rode it pretty hard for 18,000 miles over the spring/summer of 2018 - including a lot of off-road and regularly jumping on and off the bike with the side stand down, and never had an issue. I would say however that when the dealer did check my bike at the end of that trip (as part of the recall), they did decide that the bracket had bent far enough that it was eligible for the frame replacement. Personally I'd have been more than happy to continue with the original frame, but since I had decided to sell the bike anyway, it meant the new owner got a bike with a brand new frame.
  13. Little General

Oddometer:
    Jenny , I thought you would have responded to the Scorpion exhaust question I had. Do you know who sells in the US ? Also, my bike had the side stand recall and I need to shorten the side stand too. I've been debating a lowering kit is the only reason I haven't cut it down.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Little General - sorry, I must have missed that post!

I think you can buy certain Scorpion exhausts through Revzilla and other online aftermarket retailers in the US; however, it's possible that the dedicated system for the G310GS (as it also includes the complete header/cat assembly since it has the reverse cylinder layout) may only be available from Rally-raid Products directly*, as it was they who developed it originally in partnership with Scorpion (both being UK based companies).

*edit. I just looked at their website, and yes, it is an exclusive product... link here

As for shorter side-stand, that is not something I'm familiar with I'm afraid - although as a thought, would the stand leg from a G310R also fit? - that ought to be shorter, and more suited if you plan to lower the bike... might be worth a measure in a local dealer and/or asking on one of the G310 specific forums for anyone who has already cross-referenced that idea?

Jx
  15. Little General

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny , I will ck out Revzilla but have done business with RR before , cb500x. As far as the side stand , I can work metal no problem.
  16. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the Hepko and Becker protection bars today. (It's best not say crash bars.)

Seems to be good quality. I hope I won't need use the with any force or alarm. :lol3

The skid plate is also H&B. They integrate nicely.

[​IMG]
  17. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have bought from Rally Raid twice for my G310GS and I had the parts both times within a week. From my considerable experience, I would rate Rally Raid up with the best of the best. I also like Revzilla, except the last tire I got from them was over 5 years old.
    willfreely likes this.
  18. RCat

RCat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a SW-Motech skid plate I'm looking to unload. It's in good condition. I bought it used a couple months ago and only had it on my bike for a few weeks.

Looking for $170 shipped.

IMG_2306.jpg IMG_2307.jpg

I have some lower crash guards as well but they are missing the correct engine mount bolts. Will let these go for cheap but buyer pays shipping. I think they are these from Amazon. You will need to purchase the 2 engine mount bolts. Will get pics if anyone is interested. There's one small scuff on the right side.

Also have a Delkevich 8" mini exhaust. When it was mounted on my bike, the header pipe would rub on the middle-inside and lower-outside of the swingarm. I personally didn't like the exhaust so I put no effort into seeing if it could be rotated to clear the swingarm properly. Since this might be defective, I'll let this go for cheap as well. Buyer pays shipping. Will get pics if anyone is interested.
  19. quietglow

Oddometer:
    Which centerstand is that? And do you like it?

I am currently debating adding a center stand to my bike. I haven't seen anyone say they had one they really like.
  20. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the Hepko & Becker center stand. The paint is coming off it already. It's been on there only a few months.
    quietglow likes this.