BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I think it's a handsome bike

[​IMG]
    RobbK, Deans BMW, Howlinsage and 2 others like this.
  2. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    ADVMoto magazine is reporting live from IMS Long Beach. BMW NA just stated that this bike will MSRP at a price less than $6000.
    none likes this.
  3. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Not too bad. I like the small Versys better, and the RX3. I don't know if the same demographic will cross shop. BMW guys tend to be BMW guys. And as Jerry Seinfeld said... "not that there's anything wrong with that."
  4. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess BMW wants to break that mold if they feel compelled to put a $6k "GS" next to the $25K GSA on their showroom floor.

"Less than $6k" is cheaper than a KLR.

It seems like a setup for a culture clash. I took my R1200GS to the dealer (first time ever) hoping to get a warped brake rotor replaced on warranty on the wheel flange recall, instead they wanted like $450 to replace the rotor and pads.

Just like KTM with the 390 bikes from India though.

Did you guys notice the headline that VW is cutting 30,000 jobs, mainly in Germany? Yeah it's attributed to the diesel emissions fiasco but you know those jobs won't come back to Germany. Sad because Germany seems to be the bulwark of first-world auto production with good-paying jobs.
  5. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Unlike
  6. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    Just came from IMS Long Beach, where I was pleased to discover the 310GS on display. BMW NA rep (not just a dealer) told me the same thing that Adventure Moto Mag reported: the MSRP should be just under $6000 but unlikely to be available before Q4 2017. Pretty much a year off.

I didn't expect much from this bike, but looking at it in person I was impressed. One can never be sure if these show bikes are in final production trim, but it had better than an inch more ground clearance than the Versys X 300 (just more than 7", versus 8.5 for the GS). In just my opinion, the BMW seemed to have nicer components/fit and finish than the Kawi, and perhaps a beefier frame. The BMW has considerably fewer plastic bits to break when you inevitably dump it. The Kawi has the much coveted spoke wheels of course, but beyond that, I was surprised to find myself far more interested in the 310GS.
  7. Suzuki Phil

Suzuki Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at the GS yesterday and was impressed, I think between the CRF Rally, Versys and GS I like the GS the best. I did ask the BMW rep about an ADV version with spoke wheels and he said he has no information on what will be offered with the bike in the way of options.
  8. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  9. mylastbike

mylastbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think the cast wheels on the GS will be an issue given the adv-lite character of the bike. Plenty of people take F700GS/Tiger 800 bikes with cast wheels off-road with no problem.
    Howlinsage likes this.
  10. BackpackerMoto

BackpackerMoto Outcast

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I personally don't think it's an issue either, but there are those who insist upon the spoke/tube combo (for reasons that don't need to debated yet again). We have a year to see if BMW offers some spoked rims as an option.
  11. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rotor size and bolt pattern up front looks to be the same as the G650/F650 twin/F800 rotors. I'll have to see one in the flesh to confirm, but I'll bet that one of these wheels might bolt up with minimal work required. The rear looks like most BMWs, but the chain is on the wrong side (for a BMW). If BMW doesn't offer a spoked wheel option for $$$, I am sure someone here will step up to put a parts bike list for $$.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Byebre radial front cal loks identical to the RC390 unit which was better than I expected after deleting the ABS and upgrading pads and a bigger rotor. Too bad the bike is 10Hp short of being decent for everything, just like a Honda 300.
  13. KDiqq

KDiqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like small adventure bikes as much as the next and I think the market DESPERATELY needs a lightweight, 40-50hp do-everything... but how in the world does BMW make their bikes so heavy?
    CRD and Pedersoli like this.
  14. kojack

kojack AMF!

Oddometer:
    I am sorry.....that looks like a Chinese copy of something BMW would make....
  15. mylastbike

mylastbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMWs 650 thumper would be an ideal candidate if it were much lighter.
  16. BigIron805

BigIron805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW just priced the 310R at $4750.00 That should put the 310 GS well under $6000.00
    Howlinsage and CoatsEast like this.
  17. GreyZuk

GreyZuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sat on the G310gs yesterday for bout 10 minutes. Switches and controls are nearly identical to my G650gs so any BMW rider should be able to jump on and feel at home. Quality of the parts seemed really good as would be expected from BMW. Cast wheels don't bother me, guys were racing Baja and Dakar on cast rims back in the day.
    I only came away with three gripes:
    1. Windshield is nonexistent for all intents and purposes. Touratech will fix that for $250.
    2. Handlebars seem like a weak point and will bend the first time it's dropped. Touratech will fix that for $150
    3. Seat is terrible... really terrible. It's hard, there's no room to move around, the pan edges stick out too far so when you stand up, the insides of your legs/ knees will get bruised/ rubbed raw... genuinely disappointed in the seat. Touratech will fix that for $400

I did like that it feels thin, and well balanced and I'll bet the fuel mileage will be great. Also, the horsepower will be good for it's size.
  18. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the world needs this bike!

Nice to see some great new ADV bikes at the smaller, lighter, cheaper end of the market for 2017. Having ridden and owned bigger, more powerful, and more expensive bikes, I find myself really liking smaller, lighter, and cheaper for dirty riding.

Nice amount of power for the money with this little BMW and I would point out that cast rims will survive just fine with enough air pressure and good tires on a lighter bike with a lighter load.
    Howlinsage and CoatsEast like this.
  19. Pedersoli

Pedersoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They list at $5250 Canadian in Edmonton Alberta which works out to around $4000 US. The DR650 lists at $5800 Canadian and out the door price is just over $6100 Canadian. They should sell for less than a DR 650.
    Howlinsage likes this.
  20. Howlinsage

Howlinsage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of the CRF250 Rally, Versys X300, G310GS and the V-strom 250, for my needs the BMW shows the best balance of highway and off road. I would choose the Honda Rally if it had another 5hp, or the X300 if it had better forks. The price will be right but I don't want to wait a year. Maybe something else will turn up in the meantime.