BMW G310GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Eddy Alvarez, Apr 22, 2016.

1. gonnagetthere

gonnagetthere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If we don't see/hear anything before hand, perhaps a realistic delivery date (at least for Canada) will be announced at the OEM bike show in Toronto in February. I live in hope. :D
  2. Howlinsage

Howlinsage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The talk at the California shows was 4th quarter 2017. For Canada that might as well be spring 2018. They could be wrong though.
    none likes this.
  3. Pedersoli

Pedersoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Argyll Motorsports in Edmonton is taking deposits now. I don't know if that would be Canada wide but I imagine every BMW dealer would be the same. Who knows what the final price would be either? They list at $5250 but they hose BMW owners on parts and shop rate $20/hour more than other bikes, even Ducati's.

I am not saying Argyll per say hoses people. It is just the way things are set up.
    Muscongus likes this.
  4. Howlinsage

Oddometer:
    You must be looking at the G310R for $5250. I don't think the G310GS has been announced or priced yet in Canada. It will likely be around $6000. I would prefer a Japanese brand but its not a deal breaker for me.
  5. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dissapointed in the weight. Having the G650X Country I would hope a motor 1/2 the size wouldn't weigh more. I don't expect an Adventure bike to to be down at the weight of my 450, but down towards 300 would be nice for the size of motor. No reason to only weigh 10 # less than a G650GS.

Still interested in how it does, at that price point should be a great opening bike for people..
    Need to sell my G650X before this comes out ;)
    Matt
  6. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's cheap therefore it's heavy. There are two kinds of buyers for this bike, noobs and people that must have the BMW badge.
    shrederscott and Bitingdog like this.
  7. none

none Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, lets work on our math here...G650GS 430 wet. G310GS 376 wet.......54 pounds less than the 650. I like the lil' bike but I think I'd like the 650's lower reving hp and torque every day. With full tanks I even think the under seat fuel in the 650 may make it "feel" lighter too.
  8. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good catch, I grabbed the dry weight on the G650GS, assumed thats what the 310 was rated dry like most are.
    I ran a few numbers for fun...
    XCountry/XChallenge
    XCo 324#dry 351#wet, XCh 317#dry 344#wet
    G650X 53hp vs G310GS 33hp, just over 1/2 the power/weight of the X
    X=6.6# per HP; 310GS=11.4# per hp

And for fun the G450X is 244#dry, 266#wet.
    41hp "street", 51hp "open"
    6.5 and 5.2# per HP..
    none likes this.
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the bike. Will have to wait and see when it is released what accessories with be offered or options such as spoke wheels. Granted on this bike the spokes are more for looks than anything else as I just don't like the way these wheels look. Hoping Happy Trail and some others jump on board to accessories. Just wait and see. Hope it is as good as it looks.
  10. Rajah

Rajah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bike and the Versys really strike me as being great do everything bikes. It seems like it would have no issue keeping up on N. American freeway speeds. It may not be easy to pass, but certainly not a struggle to go 5-15 over just about everywhere. It could handle any forest service/logging road with ease. Plus heated grips, abs, and great mpg. It's not a dirt bike and doesn't claim to be. If they were marketing it that way, I'd have a problem with it but they seem pretty honest with the intended capabilities. Some of y'all have unrealistic standards you want to apply to every bike.

I'd be interested in picking up a pair of these or similar for my wife and I for day tripping. My concerns are that my wife and I are both pretty tall so will the high seat option be high enough? I haven't looked at new bikes seriously in quite a while but I like the idea of something small to commute with, take off on backroads fishing or whatever. It's what I do on my KLR and it is what it is- but lighter and more refined may be a treat.
    PlowHand likes this.
  11. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certain things about this bike are interesting, but it's apparent that is designed to be an entry level beginner bike with only minor pretensions and the "GS" title is pure marketing fluff. The Versys X appears to be closer to the mark of a true light weight do-all bike.
  12. Vampir

Vampir Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'd say that both of them unfortunately miss the mark if the VX truly only has about 5" of suspension travel as is currently speculated.
    Howlinsage likes this.
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Maybe. But I'm wondering if those "minor pretensions" will be good enough for me. Both my current F800GS and old R1100GS suit(ed) me well. And I have ridden them all over the western U.S., the length of the CDR, up to Prudhoe Bay, down into Copper Canyon, Baja, Death Valley, eastern Oregon, etc. So far, not a single run to Starbucks. :D

But now I'm 60, and I'm looking for a lighter version of those bikes. And from what I've seen and read so far, I can't think of a single reason why this little 310 wouldn't allow me to do all of those trips with a lot less pig wrestling. Shedding 100 lbs. off the weight of my F800 would be pure bliss.

Yeah, the gas range could be an issue. But I have a 1 gal. Rotopax I can mount on that rear rack which should allow for ~250 miles, more than enough for the even longest gas-less stretches out here. And I hate riding on the Interstates, so as long as it can cruise all day at 65 mph fully loaded, it'll be just fine.

Spoked wheels? Feh! I'm pretty much a plodder now, so give me tubeless tires any day. My old Wee-Strom had cast wheels, and they held up a lot better than my F800's spoked wheels have.

The little Versys looks like a decent challenger though. It's good to suddenly have a wealth of choices.
  14. Howlinsage

Oddometer:
    So true, the VX suspension seems to be the worst of any bikes that claims to be in the adventure category. Good enough for graded gravel roads but on rutted rocky unmaintained roads it will be limping.
    For the riding I do the VX suspension is a bigger fail than the G310gs cast wheels. That Vx is so completely road biased that I suspect they are planning a dirty version with 18/21 wheels and 8 or 9" travel.
    That would happily get my money.
  15. Rajah

Rajah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess we'll have to see on the VX. I haven't seen anything official besides "long travel suspension". If it's over 6inches, it's probably reasonable for it's intent. The slipper clutch is a great feature too.

I'm not sure why the 'beginner only' tag is being leveled at this one (the BMW). Just because it's small or not dirt-worthy enough? Assuming sub 6k, then it seems like a reasonable value that will do pretty much exactly what BMW is saying it will do on those vids. Assuming it's reliable, #150 lbs will make up for a lot over the big BMWs off road. I guess we'll see soon enough but considering the places people have gone on very marginal 'adventure bikes' just by putting on good tires and a fabbed up pan, this thing has potential.

Now the strategy question of whether BMW should be competing at this level is a different thing and interesting discussion material.
  16. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2017-bmw-g310r-first-ride-review.html

2017 BMW G310R
    + Highs

• Excellent fit and finish
    • Entertaining for new and old riders alike
    • Competitive price point
    – Sighs

• ABS intervenes too soon for experienced riders (and is always on)
    • No heated grips! (It’s an accessory)
    • Still another six months away!

During his speech, Heinrich mentioned that BMW wants to sell 200,000 motorcycles by the year 2020, and that this is only possible if the company “attacked different markets.” We’ve already started to see the fruits of this strategy with the S1000 and RnineT lines, and now new doors are opening with this, the G310R. Don’t be fooled by its low price point and where it’s made, as it’s still every bit a BMW in terms of fit, finish, and quality. And unlike some other small-displacement motorcycles, this isn’t one you’ll get bored with quickly.
    Howlinsage likes this.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I think the 21" front tyre version GS will be a great bike.

I was disappointed with the 425lbs Sertao.
    $8,650 MSRP seemed high after the initial reviews came in.

Most Inmates thought the Dakar was actually the better bike, even though it was older.
  18. Howlinsage

Oddometer:
    Are you saying the 21" version has been announced or you are hoping?
  19. Howlinsage

Oddometer:
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I just assumed that one day the 21" front tyre version would happen.
    BMW is real good about such things.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Howlinsage likes this.